• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

30x Draw Scopes (1 Viewer)

eric4

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information floating around on modern draw scopes. Perhaps it's the lack of waterproofness makes them less desirable. The compactness and weight savings has certainly caught my eye.

Has anyone gotten a chance to compare any of the following scopes?
Optolyth 25x70 BGA WW
Optolyth 30x80 BGA WW
Swarovski CTC 30x75
Meopta TGA 75 30x75

Are there any other collapsible spotters in a similar class that I've forgotten?

Would something like the Kowa 664 with a 30x eyepiece outperform these scopes? They have a comparable weight and field of view.

Don't forget the Zeiss Dialyt 18-45x65 which, although not a collapsible draw-tube scope, occupies a similar niche but has a zoom eyepiece.

Lee

Don't forget the Zeiss Dialyt 18-45x65 which, although not a collapsible draw-tube scope, occupies a similar niche but has a zoom eyepiece.

Lee

I have considered the Zeiss, but I'm more attracted to a wide fov at 30x. From my understanding, the Zeiss has a similar fov at 18x.

I own an opticron mm3 50mm with the zoom eyepiece, and the tunnel effect is bothersome.

I have considered the Zeiss, but I'm more attracted to a wide fov at 30x. From my understanding, the Zeiss has a similar fov at 18x.

I own an opticron mm3 50mm with the zoom eyepiece, and the tunnel effect is bothersome.

Hi,

the easiest way to fix that would be getting a nice wide angle fixed mag EP fior the mm3 - the discontinued 40858 would give 25x at 67 deg afov.

Drawtube scopes are available in all quality levels and the ones you mentioned are good, but they are aimed at (mountain) hunters mainly and to use them without a tripod you need proper technique to brace the scope vs. a tree or similar to get a halfway steady view. They sometimes don't even have a tripod screw which means you have to improvise.

30x is certainly too much to hold without support. I met a birder once who had a cheap 30x Bresser drawtube on a light tripod with some diy - was ok.

Joachim

Hello

I have used a Swarovski CTC 30x75 drawtube scope for about 8 years and I think its great. It was an indulgence because I like drawtubes out of pure sentimentality, my first scope was a Nickel Supra 15-60 x60 drawtube bought around 1975. I still have my Nikon Fieldscope 11 ed bought 1991 with 20x and 20-45 zoom eyepieces. When the 30x WA eyepiece became available I rarely used the other eyepieces. I only used the Nikon in bad (rainy) weather otherwise my first choice was the Swarovski. I enjoy the bright image which I find as sharp as the Nikon. The only snag is perhaps the slower focusing. I rarely use a tripod using instead a Gitzo monopod with a choice of a long or short metal foot (spike). I enjoy its portability and reduced weight because of not using a tripod. Monopods work quite well in hides when squashed against the ledge below the hide's open window. Don't regret buying my drawtube for one moment. Haven't compared my Swarovski to other makes but the MeOpta would be worth looking at.

Hello

I have used a Swarovski CTC 30x75 drawtube scope for about 8 years and I think its great. It was an indulgence because I like drawtubes out of pure sentimentality, my first scope was a Nickel Supra 15-60 x60 drawtube bought around 1975. I still have my Nikon Fieldscope 11 ed bought 1991 with 20x and 20-45 zoom eyepieces. When the 30x WA eyepiece became available I rarely used the other eyepieces. I only used the Nikon in bad (rainy) weather otherwise my first choice was the Swarovski. I enjoy the bright image which I find as sharp as the Nikon. The only snag is perhaps the slower focusing. I rarely use a tripod using instead a Gitzo monopod with a choice of a long or short metal foot (spike). I enjoy its portability and reduced weight because of not using a tripod. Monopods work quite well in hides when squashed against the ledge below the hide's open window. Don't regret buying my drawtube for one moment. Haven't compared my Swarovski to other makes but the MeOpta would be worth looking at.

Thanks Robert! I'll continue to keep my eyes peeled for the right draw scope. I do a bit of backpacking and think the specs are a nice balance for image quality, durability, and compactness/weight.

It looks like the Meopta 75 TGA with 30x eyepiece can be purchased for less than $900 new, and the Swarovski is closer to $1300. Optolyth scopes range from 900-1300 depending on the model. Hopefully, with a bit of patience, I'll find a nice quality second hand scope.

Both Meopta and Swaro have good warranties from my understanding, but I believe the Swarovski warranty is lifetime.

eric4, post 7,
The warranty for the Meopta telescope is 30 years, while it is 10 years for the Swarovski telescope. That is the situation in Europe.
I have investigated a number of draw tube telescopes, see the WEB-site of House of Outdoor among others Meopta, Optolyth and Swarovski, Vespobuteo has already mentioned it in post 2. From the tables and graphs you will be able to get an impression even if most of it is in Dutch.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back