• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (1 Viewer)

More Starlings

Attachments

• Hopstar1_filtered.jpg
    Hopstar1_filtered.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Hopstar2_filtered.jpg
    Hopstar2_filtered.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Hopstar3_filtered.jpg
    Hopstar3_filtered.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Hopstar4_filtered.jpg
    Hopstar4_filtered.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 58
Sunday 9th Feb

Sorry to all the people who traveled 1/2 way accross the country and left without seeing the Shrike.
I was there from about 12 till 1pm and some people were looking from their car and think it was them who informed the people who were on the road from London to Lincoln that they were looking at wrong layby.Also think it was them who saw it at the back of fields.....not sure what time though.
We all left as the rain set in at 1pm without a sighting but I was sure it was hiding behind the middle Oak.
I returned around 2.30 but again no sightings.Did get the Buzzard 1/2 way up towards Hopwood through the high thorn hedge...ouch.
Left to look for the Wythall Egret without a sighting.
Keith

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 27 013.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 27 013.jpg low.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 2014 Canon 27 021.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 27 021.jpg low.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 2014 Canon 27 029.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 27 029.jpg low.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 58
Returned from NOT seeing the Egret ready for the Starlings at Hopwood......

Walked all around looking for a good vantage point to observe their dancing.
Went along the towpath and carried on to the back fields as I was early.
A very wet walk as the path is well used by all sorts with deep mud in parts.
Again no joy with the Shrike and had thoughts it was sitting on the road gate looking at its picture.....lol....but did get the Buzzard on the top of the middle Oak .....and when it soared off and around by the hedges the Shrike came out from the hedge behind the Oak and up on its fave treetop.
It stayed just a minute before flying to another one further away to the left...(the right from the road).
Had to get back to Hopwood for the Starlings so said bye to it.

Keith :t:

1 and 2..Buzzard.
3 and 4 .Shrike on fave treetop (full frame)
5 On to one on left...full frame.

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 27 042.jpg
    2014 Canon 27 042.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 2014 Canon 27 046.jpg
    2014 Canon 27 046.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 2014 Canon 27 050.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 27 050.jpg low.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 2014 Canon 27 056.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 27 056.jpg low.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 2014 Canon 27 069.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 27 069.jpg low.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 59
UP at Hopwood its a case of trying to find a way to see the Starlings with a clear view......won't sat where though as the people who live around won't be happy.....
They start slowly and only dance just before they settle down...must be knackered by then....lol

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 27 088.jpg LOW.jpg
    2014 Canon 27 088.jpg LOW.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 59
  • 2014 Canon 27 089.jpg LOW.jpg
    2014 Canon 27 089.jpg LOW.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 57
  • HOP TREES 1.jpg
    HOP TREES 1.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 67
  • HOP TREES 2.jpg
    HOP TREES 2.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 64
  • HOP TREES 3.jpg
    HOP TREES 3.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 67
Been snowed and flooded the last few days with hardly a sighting of the Shrike....and then only way back on far bushes by the canal.
Me and a few others there this morning. ..one chap got it in bins but gone before got scope on it just as he got there.
It remained lost until I got it about 12.05 on brown leaved saplings to left of the Vee Oak....then to 1st tree as you look from canal.
Still there as I left at 12.25.
Nice sun for a change.
Lower Bittell at highest level ....almost covering concrete "arms" on overflow.
Keith

This is the state we have had to put up with for a couple of years now on the causeway at Lower Bittell but as you can see the gales have breached the barriers...so maybe it might be fixed by Cameron as he has promised the money....lol
But at least I could see the water without wire in the way...but nowt to see though...he he.

This is the level of the water...I have seen it above the concrete in the past so not at a high yet.

Attachments

• unnamed (23).jpg
    unnamed (23).jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 82
  • unnamed (22).jpg
    unnamed (22).jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 69
  • unnamed (21).jpg
    unnamed (21).jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 65
Shrike Spotters

For the people who might not have visited the Shrike.......and new people are still arriving from quite far away sometimes - here's a couple of pics showing a few of the usual places it frequents.
Its main lookout spot the dead spindly tree just left of the main Oak has been destroyed in Wednesday nights gale.
It did show quite close around 11-12 for 2 days running at the start of the week so I think a few visits or longer stays might be rewarding.
Keith

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 28 039.jpg
    2014 Canon 28 039.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 2014 Canon 28 036.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 28 036.jpg low.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 79
Thanks T**t

Live at the Shrike......some t*** has taken my info sign down...I thought it was helping people know they were at the correct place.If it was that idiot in the LR I sympathize with your pettiness....if thats a word.
Still people turning up to get a 1st sighting of it and its the closest I have had this week.....but still only by the Oaks.Great light so come on and get over here Shrike....lol

Last edited:
Peregrine Falcon

Stayed till about 11am and dashed off to see if the egret was at Wythall but not so came back and got a Kingfisher and a Pair of Goosander on Mill Shrub before more of the same with the Shrike.....More first timers and we managed to winkle out a few sightings for them.
Also a Kestrel,Buzzards, reed Bunting,Wren Blue Tit ,Great Tit,Long Tailed Tit,Robin,Crow,Jackdaw,Wood Pigeon,GSWoody,Jay,Herons and the star of the show was a bit of a display from a Peregrine which took the thermals overhead before getting quite high and then off.Brill.....

1..Wythall Buzzard
2...Heron.
3-5 ..Peregrine...crap shots.

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 29 110.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 29 110.jpg low.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 2014 Canon 29 100.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 29 100.jpg low.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 2014 Canon 29 167.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    2014 Canon 29 167.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 2014 Canon 29 143  A B.jpg LOW_filtered.jpg
    2014 Canon 29 143 A B.jpg LOW_filtered.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 2014 Canon 29 144.jpg LOW_filtered.jpg
    2014 Canon 29 144.jpg LOW_filtered.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 67
More images from around the area on Sunday....

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 29 072.jpg
    2014 Canon 29 072.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 2014 Canon 29 094.jpg
    2014 Canon 29 094.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 2014 Canon 29 097.jpg
    2014 Canon 29 097.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 30
...and more...

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 29 115.jpg
    2014 Canon 29 115.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 2014 Canon 29 077.jpg
    2014 Canon 29 077.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 2014 Canon 29 080.jpg
    2014 Canon 29 080.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 46
  • unnamed (38).jpg
    unnamed (38).jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 48
  • unnamed (23).jpg
    unnamed (23).jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 38
4 more 1st timers saw the Shrike today ...with a bit of help from Paul (lesser kestrel) and me.
Still staying on the line of the Oaks but also a lot of the time behind them.
One notable sight was it fighting with a Magpie .....and winning.
Extreme rain and sunshine at times but a good session...before some more Starling Murmuration just up the road till dark.

Went to the Shrike site again today for an hour mid morning but had no luck.Is it still around ?

Max

Hi Max ,,,its still around but does not usually come any closer than the line of Oaks....and its quite hard to pick out at times.
I have been there each day from about 3pm and its not been showing at 1st.It has stayed by the middle Oak and the little bushes and looks like it roosts here around 5 -5.30pm.

I have met many 1st time visitors each day and eventually all have seen it after I have managed to scan its usual places ....I go each day with high hopes of it popping up near the road like it used to but the field is so wet and the grass so matted that I think it has given up on catching anything here.

Hi Max ,,,its still around but does not usually come any closer than the line of Oaks....and its quite hard to pick out at times.
I have been there each day from about 3pm and its not been showing at 1st.It has stayed by the middle Oak and the little bushes and looks like it roosts here around 5 -5.30pm.

I have met many 1st time visitors each day and eventually all have seen it after I have managed to scan its usual places ....I go each day with high hopes of it popping up near the road like it used to but the field is so wet and the grass so matted that I think it has given up on catching anything here.

It was still present late morning today and was favouring the trees to the left of the oaks...views were fairly distant mind and was obscured now and again by the branches/leaves in front blowing in front of the bird.

Would def. recommend using a scope when viewing from gate and scanning the tree lines

Jason

2 Months Of Trying......

It was still present late morning today and was favouring the trees to the left of the oaks...views were fairly distant mind and was obscured now and again by the branches/leaves in front blowing in front of the bird.

Would def. recommend using a scope when viewing from gate and scanning the tree lines

Jason

Nice one Jason....Yes a scope is a good idea....I only have cheap bins and despite being able to get a fix most times when someone has kindly let me look through their scope ( everyone) the difference is remarkable.....like 3D. :t:

I could not get here until about 4pm today ( taxi-ing wife) and the light was crap with drizzle and wind.When the sun broke through it did not really help.It's been the same all week.
I could not locate it anywhere in the main field and did my usual routine of walking up the road to get different angles stopping every few yards as he could pop up and down without you seeing.Went as far as the 40 sign but not seen it here for many many weeks.A further 15 mins of waiting watching and hoping (and freezing) I went down to the bottom field - another part of my routine.It has not been here for many weeks either until TODAY....O.M.G. it was sitting on a sapling at a nice distance away...I saw it without bins as I came around the trees.
A mild panic as I ran back to car and got Camera and tripod providing some entertainment to the rep parked in the layby.
Got some shots off but it started going further away and never really posed other than back view....this went on for 10 mins then suddenly it turned and flew left and closer.....and then closer ...then really close ---BUT it may have been closer to the hedge but further up the road so I had to move along as well.It kept diving down and then back up for only seconds and could not get any pics before it went back into the middle area.....then into the denser trees and right down low.Too many branches for any pics so just used bins as it disappeared for about 10-15 secs to appear again with a CATCH....then straight away flew off up up and over the River trees and I thought into the big tree opposite the lay by.....but most likely over the road to put it in its larder.....even though I did not see it cross over.
There is a hole at the top of the main trunk of the tree but don't think it put it there.
Oh by the way the catch was some king of Shrew/Vole ...quite big and grasped in the claws as it flew off.
Only took me 2 MONTHS OF TRYING -but finally saw it definitely catch something.A B***** that I could not get any pics though....

1..The 1st sighting distance...full frame.
2 ..The closest distance....full frame.
3...crop of above.

Attachments

• SH 1st.jpg
    SH 1st.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 55
  • SH 1.jpg
    SH 1.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 56
  • SH 2.jpg
    SH 2.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Some more views...

Keith.

p.s....it started raining again and as it was about 5pm it was really gloomy now but I waited for it to appear again....but the Peregrine did instead....through steamed/rained up bins.It flew around over the field then I lost it.
Went back to car to wait but no good.....neither showed up.
Desperate for a leek I ENTERED THE FIELD....and did the did hidden by the hedge.....only to see the Peregrine again flying along the hedgeline by the layby quite high up then suddenly darted off after a small flock of Pigeons that scattered as I lost then all behind the River trees.

Could see all the Jackdaws/Crows/Gulls/Winter Thrushes (Redwing mostly) and Starlings flocking around the different parts of the area with the Startling going off to Hopwood for their nightly Murmuration display.

Attachments

• SH 3.jpg
    SH 3.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 56
  • SH 4.jpg
    SH 4.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 52
  • SH 5.jpg
    SH 5.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 59
  • SH 6.jpg
    SH 6.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Hi Laurie. ...its deceptively far away from the towpath as well.

Live this morning and Shrike quite close to road....usual field about third way up to Hopwood....great sun.
Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back