• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (2 Viewers)

Kings

I never keep dates - except vaguely in head .
They had a late brood last year and this one where Dad bought them for lessons.
I have seen them being chased on the Arrow a few years back as well.
Apart from that I am no use really....
Keith

Keith, I had to cheat and resort to a hide to get a juv King yesterday. There were a few flying about https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/14285370317/
Found my KF on the R.Cole today. Was expecting a family at some point, or maybe I missed them. I predict, if successful, early second broads should start appearing end of June/beginning of July!!
The wonders of modern technology bring us this
http://www.natuurkanaal.nl/
http://www.wildlifelens.co.uk/2014/05/

Tutt Tutt....lol
If they appear outside hides who are we to disregard them.....
It gives us the chance to get extended views and learn a bit more about their habits so why not.
I popped into Feckenham on the off chance of some action but to no avail....nothing reported in the book either.

I went mainly for insects though....

Will look at the links later ...cheers.

Keith :t:

Red Kite.......

Wast Hills......
As I said on other thread earlier I could not connect with any Redstarts after having a slow wander up and around the fields as well as staying still in a couple of places....lots of the normal species (and the Sheep) got used to me.
A family of Swallows
Few Swift
Blackbird
Crow
Jackdaw
Gull (?)
Robin
Goldfinch
Pair Buzzards gliding along the main road and back again.
LOts of "tiny tweets" from various bushes.....can't hear most high bird calls but got an occasional note.....convinced myself it was the Redstarts...lol

Got back to car at about 12.30 (getting late for work)....a chap on a bike hanging around car and we engaged in chit chat as I got changed ..then a BIG bird flew across the road that Trevor suggested I park in.....lots of trees overhanging but I grabbed camera and dashed up road but it was masked by trees on far edge of field...DAMN.then a little glimpse as it finally went on its way. Just got 2 clicks off as it went....crap angle of pics though.
Returned to car and had to dash off.
It was Buzzard size but very fringed wings and the main thing was the LONG TAIL........Driving to work I was getting KITE in my head As soon as I looked at the back of Camera i couldn't wait to blow it up and have a look.....I am getting a pale head and a hint of fork tail......What does anyone else think.
1..original
2..Big crop.

Attachments

• New Canon 59 055 orig.jpg
    New Canon 59 055 orig.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 64
  • New Canon 59 055 A.jpg
    New Canon 59 055 A.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 94
I too get the suggestion of a forked tail and slightly paler head along with four of the usual 5 flexible fingers (primaries) on the left wing. Which I would think to be a Red Kite.

Last edited:
Thank you Brian......My 1st local Kite.....hope its a fixture and I can get a better view soon.
I had heard ones have been around in the past.

Without all the technicalities Keith - it's a Red Kite, stands out like a dick on a dog;).....

Have'nt looked at this thread for a while and you've posted some cracking pics, that series of Kingfisher are superb imho.

ATB Laurie:t:

our dogs a bitch....HE HE.
I was pleased I had the I.D. correct just from the mano second I saw it go over...was as unexpected as the Pterodactyl I saw later......lol

Thanks about the pics...you know how crap it is to see anything never mind get a pic at Bittell.
Cheers.

Two Red Kite's briefly at around 3.30pm, headed off south east gianing hight over the Lickey Hills.

Ive always predicted that this area will have them sooner or later because the habitat is just right. Just wish i had my long lens, because they were that close..

Not being funny, but how do you submit records on to the Worcester birding site?

I know it was a closed shop, but lol. Did the BTO thing, but decided they are on drugs since Bittell does not exist. Well it does, but hey...

If a certain Mr Curry is still around,then he will know about the records because both i and he predicted that Kites will find this area to their benefit. Habitat is ideal, and besides...Short-toed Eagles dont have cleft tails lol.

Two Red Kite's briefly at around 3.30pm, headed off south east gianing hight over the Lickey Hills.

Ive always predicted that this area will have them sooner or later because the habitat is just right. Just wish i had my long lens, because they were that close..

Nice one Dave......there have been sightings for a few years around the area.... If you get up to the top of Scarfield Hill near Alvechurch and look across towards Weatheroak its just a flap or two for a Kite.
They have been seen over the Blues training ground and off towards Wythall.

Wish I could have seen your 2.....wonder if they came up the M42 from down south.

Keith:t:

Nice one Dave......there have been sightings for a few years around the area.... If you get up to the top of Scarfield Hill near Alvechurch and look across towards Weatheroak its just a flap or two for a Kite.
They have been seen over the Blues training ground and off towards Wythall.

Wish I could have seen your 2.....wonder if they came up the M42 from down south.

Keith:t:

I drive up the M40 every week and have noticed the Kites are getting further North, seen them all the way up to Warwick now. As I drove past Hopwood today, I saw the local buzzard.

From BTO;
When: 30 Jul 2014
Where: Canal between upper Bittell and Alvechurch (SP0572)
Who: Dennis A. Jones
What: Kingfisher (1)

Some Kingfisher action today...only I.D. was a female on the white post but one flashing around all day until late in the evening.
Also....
Buzzard,
Heron,
House Martins,
30 + Swifts,
10+ Swallows,
Grey Wagtail....1st for ages,
Cormorant (young),
GCGrebe caught fish on Mill Shrub - 1st time seen this in 40 + years.
The usual Mallard,Coot,Moorhen,Wood Duck is apparently still around though did not see it today.
Loads of Jackdaw flocking all day at bottom of Shrub Mill with the usual BH Gulls and Larger ones(crap at Gulls) passing through too the Upper Bittell roost.

Attachments

• New Canon 93 023.JPG
    New Canon 93 023.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 74
  • New Canon 93 036.JPG
    New Canon 93 036.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 75
  • New Canon 93 048 low.jpg
    New Canon 93 048 low.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 76
  • New Canon 93 618 TIFF.JPG
    New Canon 93 618 TIFF.JPG
    272.1 KB · Views: 73
  • New Canon 93 623  TIFF A Low.jpg
    New Canon 93 623 TIFF A Low.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 64
More sunshine and showers yesterday..........2 or even 3 Kingfishers whizzing around all day.
Large flock of starlings up around the barn many anting on the floor.
While watching them we were buzzed by what I think was an Hobby,which went off around Hopwood.
A large dead Trout was on Shrub Mill and a Large Gull trying to break into it as a Pair of Cormorants went over.
A flock of LLTits moving in and out of all the waterside trees with a couple of Warblers in amongst them.
As the day before at dusk the Swallows were over the water with lots of Swift and Martins higher up.
Went up to the high north fields looking for maybe Clouded Yellows but only a few Common Blues,as I left via Groveley Lane this Sparrowhawk came over the hedge then down the road towards the park.

Attachments

• New Canon 95 038.JPG
    New Canon 95 038.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 73
  • New Canon 95 025.JPG
    New Canon 95 025.JPG
    302.5 KB · Views: 66
  • New Canon 95 004.JPG
    New Canon 95 004.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 87
  • New Canon 95 006.JPG