• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow babies and the heat wave in Eugene/Springfield (1 Viewer)

Hi all
We had a medium sized bird nest sitting on our deck for a while trying to figure out where to hang it. Over our vacation we were surprised to come back to a few new residents.
Totally unexpected because prior to the vacation, that area had a lot of human activity (plus our vacation was only a week long.)

Once I noticed the nest, I figured it was too late to move it. I'm glad I didn't because two days later I hear many baby chirps!

My concern however, is where it is located gets the full sun blasting on it from about 1:00 to roughly 8:00. We've noticed (we think anyway,) due to the heatwave the babies are sticking their heads out.

See image here.

Are they going to survive the heat?

What kind of swallow, Tree? But regardless, the eggs and babies have survived the heat thus far and there's no reason why they shouldn't continue to do so. The young of hole nesting birds--once they're old enough to clamber up to it--often wait at the entrance of the nest so as to have first crack at food brought by the parents.

You could always rig up some kind of awning, of course.

You know I'm not sure. I was doing a little research and I think they are either Barn or Tree. The adults have green backs and heads with white chests.

The eggs hatched a day or two before the 90's hit. =(

we were thinking of the awning idea too, but haven't a clue how to rig one. we have a giant piece of cardboard, but really no way to attach it in a way that wont disturb them.

If they have green backs, they'll be Violet-green Swallows. Hope your nest continues to flourish. Be sure to let us know how how things work out.

Here are a few (a bit grainy, but) cool shots I got. The first one was lucky to get both of them in the same frame. Can't really tell their color from the pictures, but definitely darkish green.

I managed to hit record just as one of the parents came in for a landing.
https://youtu.be/XdhE_xTAY70

I would love to set up a few ledges along our large garage in the hopes more will nest. I love watching them fly.

Attachments

• IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    372.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 96
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back