• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Teleconverter ? (1 Viewer)

Andonso

Hello,

I have three lenses I'm using with a Nikon D80 and wondering if any would work with a teleconverter such as a Nikon 1.7 or other?

Current Lenses

AF-S Zoom-Nikkor ED 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF DX
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II Zoom Lens
Sigma AF-MF Telephoto Zoom Lens, 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG MACRO

I don't much about teleconverters other than those designed as an aux. lens won't work with most DSLR and lenses.

I see many on ebay which prices ranging from ~$50.00 to more than ~$500.00. (some are listed to work with specific size lenses)

I have no idea at this point what to look for, (other than a Nikon mount), and if a teleconverter would work with any of my current lenses.

Last edited:
I would not recommend a teleconverter with any of those 3 lenses you listed. Generally I would recommend that you avoid using teleconverters with most zooms and instead look for a fixed focal length lens with a maximum aperture of f/4 or more (f/2.8). On f/4 lenses, a 1.4X teleconverter would probably work better than 1.7X. I don't know what your budget is, but you might be better off just getting Nikon's 200-500 zoom and use that without a teleconverter. Also an upgrade to your D80 would be a noticeable improvement. Used D7200's and D7100's are getting pretty cheap.

Dave

Opticoholic has it spot on.Teleconverters are best reserved for quality prime lenses.His suggestion of the d7100 or d7200 is again great advice,as is his recommendation of the nikon 200-500.
I use the d7200 with the 200-500 lens and the combination is a winner.
If you go down the used route as Dave suggests,you can get this kit at a fairly reasonable price so it may pay you to save a little and chop in your existing kit.

I think i may have answered this before, none of those lenses are suitable for converter use, in 95% of cases the converter does reduce the the image quality, if you have a lens with good enough image quality you can possibly stand the loss but most of the time no.
You need to be looking at longer lenses, Nikon 200-500, Sigma or Tamron 150-600 or 100-400,
Just for reference one of the best none Nikon converters is Kenko, here is a link to the compatibility list.

http://www.kenkoglobal.com/photo/Total_Compatibility_Table_PDF.pdf

I think i may have answered this before, none of those lenses are suitable for converter use, in 95% of cases the converter does reduce the the image quality, if you have a lens with good enough image quality you can possibly stand the loss but most of the time no.
You need to be looking at longer lenses, Nikon 200-500, Sigma or Tamron 150-600 or 100-400,
Just for reference one of the best none Nikon converters is Kenko, here is a link to the compatibility list.

http://www.kenkoglobal.com/photo/Total_Compatibility_Table_PDF.pdf

So far I found a new Tamron 150-600mm G1 that's being sold by an ebay seller with 95.7% Positive feedback (5656) for approx $700.00. The auction states

“This is a new item with all accessories, no original box.”
"This is the Japanese version. Japanese version spec is the same as USA, EU version. The item carries 1 year limited warranty that is only in Japan."

Essentially there's no warranty for the lens.

I'm also finding previously owned Tamron lenses 200-500mm starting at around ~$380.00 (buy-it-now). 6 month warranty.

I'm not yet ready to shell out $1400.00 for a new Tamron 150-600mm G2 from an authorized seller that comes with a six year warranty.

Yes I should upgrade the Nikon D80 body but again since I've only had the D80 since late December 2017 I'm not yet ready to upgrade. I do post a few photos online however at this point in time all my photos are for my own viewing and study of digital photography so currently I don't see any reason to upgrade the body, until I become more familiar with digital photography.

So far I found a new Tamron 150-600mm G1 that's being sold by an ebay seller with 95.7% Positive feedback (5656) for approx $700.00. The auction states

“This is a new item with all accessories, no original box.”
"This is the Japanese version. Japanese version spec is the same as USA, EU version. The item carries 1 year limited warranty that is only in Japan."

Essentially there's no warranty for the lens.

I'm also finding previously owned Tamron lenses 200-500mm starting at around ~$380.00 (buy-it-now). 6 month warranty.

I'm not yet ready to shell out $1400.00 for a new Tamron 150-600mm G2 from an authorized seller that comes with a six year warranty.

Yes I should upgrade the Nikon D80 body but again since I've only had the D80 since late December 2017 I'm not yet ready to upgrade. I do post a few photos online however at this point in time all my photos are for my own viewing and study of digital photography so currently I don't see any reason to upgrade the body, until I become more familiar with digital photography.

S/H the Sigma 120-400 could be worth looking at but don't touch the 135-400
Some samples i took with mine using a D7000

Attachments

• 12068163635_df73d59620_o.jpg
    12068163635_df73d59620_o.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 13108095084_59c9017902_o.jpg
    13108095084_59c9017902_o.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 13108095104_84b51ce508_o.jpg
    13108095104_84b51ce508_o.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 100
Those are some nice photos.

How close were you taking those photos?

I'm still trying to figure out distances while using a zoom and macro zoom lenses.

When I go camping in the mountains I'm usually out in the wilderness quite a ways where distances easily become miles instead of yards and meters.

Ocean beaches you can't really sneak up on subjects which become aware of your presence from at least a half mile or so.

I found also many animals even different species rely on one another and warn each other when danger is approaching. If you stay in one spot long enough sometimes nature accepts humans into their environment if able to figure you're not a threat.

I think perhaps one method to take nature photos would be to spend longer periods of time out in the wilderness.

In the past I've spent up to several months out camping however at the time wasn't carrying a camera.

This summer I'm thinking of spending up to several months traveling which would include camping out in the mountains and different types of wildernesses.

So am looking for a longer lens. I'm uncertain what size. The 150-600mm seems like a good choice for the price.

Found a pre-owned Sigma DG 150-600mm f/6.3 OS HSM DG with 1.4 converter for around $950.00. The converter sells for around ~$270 - $300 used so the lens cost is around ~$650.00

I'm wondering how long this sort of photo equipment holds it's value?

Last edited:
I think we will have to hope someone comes along with the experience of distance shooting, i would normally work between 10-30ft from my subject, any further and ime not normally happy with the result.

Shouldn't this combo be able to zoom to approx. 1000mm?

A sigma 150-300mm f/6.3 lens and a Sigma TC-1401 1.4x Tele-Converter AF

This teleconverter would effect sharpness and change the max. aperture to ~F/8?

For the Sigma 150-600mm lens would the 1.4x teleconverter become an asset or a waste of money?

Here's a couple of articles I've been reading about the differences between photos when using a tc vs cropping.

Teleconverters - Are they useful? http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/tc3.html

Above article provides a few examples, cropping vs tc.

Teleconverters and strong zoom vs cropping
https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/teleconverters-and-strong-zoom-vs-cropping.478254/
____

(One person from the above thread seems to be satisfied using his 2x tc with a Sigma 120-300mm lens)

"I use TCs a lot, and - with the right lens - even a 2x TC can give excellent results.

These for example are all Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS + 2x Sigma TC on a Canon 7D at 600mm, handheld. Nothing much wrong with these:

http://www.capture-the-moment.co.uk/tp/tfu29/upload/600mm_sigma/canada_goose_marden_1.jpg
http://www.capture-the-moment.co.uk/tp/tfu29/upload/600mm_sigma/greylag_marden_3.jpg
http://www.capture-the-moment.co.uk/tp/tfu29/upload/600mm_sigma/greylag_marden_1.jpg
http://www.capture-the-moment.co.uk/tp/tfu29/upload/260912house_sparrow_st_marys_3.jpg
"

Sigma does sell it's 150-600mm F5-6.3 Contemporary with it's TC-1401 Teleconverter So I'm assuming it must have a use? https://www.sigmaphoto.com/150-600mm-contemporary-tc-1401-teleconverter-kit

I'm wondering how does one and what would be the cost to upgrade from a 150-600mm to a 800mm to 1000mm lens?

Last edited:
"I use TCs a lot, and - with the right lens - even a 2x TC can give excellent results."

With the right lens is the key here. For me that would be an f2.8prime (or maybe the 70-200 f2.8 zoom) and good light for "excellent" results. For f4 telephotos stick with 1.4x . for slower lenses, forget teleconverters if you want excellent results. You AF speed will drop dramatically or be not existent. The D80 will not AF at f8

Also bear in mind that the longer the lens, the heavier it gets and the better your technique must be. I can get decent shots hand holding a 500mm f4 BUT the keeper rate goes up using a tripod especially in low light.

Have you considered one of the older 300mm f4 primes?

kind regards

Colin

"I use TCs a lot, and - with the right lens - even a 2x TC can give excellent results."

With the right lens is the key here. For me that would be an f2.8prime (or maybe the 70-200 f2.8 zoom) and good light for "excellent" results. For f4 telephotos stick with 1.4x . for slower lenses, forget teleconverters if you want excellent results. You AF speed will drop dramatically or be not existent. The D80 will not AF at f8

Also bear in mind that the longer the lens, the heavier it gets and the better your technique must be. I can get decent shots hand holding a 500mm f4 BUT the keeper rate goes up using a tripod especially in low light.

Have you considered one of the older 300mm f4 primes?

kind regards

Colin

I have a Nikon 18-75mm, Nikon 50-200mm and a Sigma 28-300mm AFAIK none will work with a converter.

However I found a gently used Sigma 150-600mm that came bundled with with a Sigma 1.4x converter, firmware dock and cases. for under $1000.00 incl. shipping from Canada.

Even though it's F/stop is limited (f5-6.3) I would be using the lens mostly in sunlight. When it's overcast or raining I don't normally do much shooting.

My main goal is achieving better distance. Possibly the converter will work with the lens and my D80? I won't know until after I'm able to try out the lens with the converter.

Sigma does sell their Contemporary lens packaged with their 1.4x converter.

The person was only selling because he received the Nikon equivalent for Christmas.

However It's not the Sports version which are more expensive and a couple pounds heavier.

Sports versions can be found, for only the lens for between $1500 and $2000. However to receive the Sigma 4 year warranty I believe the seller needs to be an Authorized Sigma Dealer.

Currently I don't want to spend $1500.00+ for a lens.

The Sigma firmware dock runs around $50.00 and their 1.4 converter approx. ~$270 - ~$300 used and ~$350.00 new. Both were only used once.

Also come with caps and cases.

I would have preferred the Sports version but can live with the Contemporary.

Primary differences:

Contemporary - 4.x lbs
Elements 20 groups 14
Special elements 1 FLD and 2 SLD
Min. Focus - 2.80 m (110.24″)
Composite with metal sealed mount
Filter - 95mm

Sport 6.31 lb
Elements 24 groups 14
Special elements 2 FLD and 3 SLD
min. focus - 2.60 m (102.36″)
Metal Mount
Filter - 105mm

However I found a gently used Sigma 150-600mm that came bundled with with a Sigma 1.4x converter, firmware dock and cases. for under $1000.00 incl. shipping from Canada.

Even though it's F/stop is limited (f5-6.3) I would be using the lens mostly in sunlight. When it's overcast or raining I don't normally do much shooting.

My main goal is achieving better distance. Possibly the converter will work with the lens and my D80? I won't know until after I'm able to try out the lens with the converter.

If you decide to get one of the Sigma 150-600mm lenses, I would do so without any expectation to use a teleconverter. But as long as the lens has no problems or defects, 600mm is a lot of reach, especially on a crop sensor camera. What you said earlier about wildlife being wary is of course often true. But if you are patient, even very small birds will sometimes allow you to get close enough to get excellent results with 600mm. So with any of these zoom lenses having a maximum aperture of f/6.3 or f/5.6, I would just forget about the teleconverter. I'm not saying it is impossible but I would instead think about your tripod/stability, your field technique/stealth and a future camera upgrade. Just my 2 cents.

Dave

Last edited:
If you decide to get one of the Sigma 150-600mm lenses, I would do so without any expectation to use a teleconverter. But as long as the lens has no problems or defects, 600mm is a lot of reach, especially on a crop sensor camera. If you are careful and patient, even with very small birds you can get close enough to get excellent results with 600mm. So with that lens (or the Nikon 200-500), forget about the teleconverter. Instead, think about your tripod/stability, your field technique/stealth and a future camera upgrade. Just my 2 cents.

Dave

I decided to go with a gently used Sigma 150-600mm Conventional lens, bundled with a Sigma 1.4x converter and a firmware dock.

I'm uncertain if the converter will work the Nikon D80 and Sigma Lens, but will give it a try.

The Sigma Lens with 1.4x converter is listed as a kit from Sigma's website and states,

When paired, the teleconverter and lens offer 210-840mm F6.3-9 zoom lens reach, with full autofocus functionality with most recent DSLR cameras.

First hyper-telephoto zoom from the Contemporary line

Lightweight and compact in construction for higher useability

Filter Size: 95mm

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/150-600mm-contemporary-tc-1401-teleconverter-kit

The D80 is an older Nikon and does have a lens motor. Has worked just fine with other lenses such as Nikon, Sigma and Tamron. I'll have to see if it's going to have problems with Sigma's 1.4x teleconverter. If it does will perhaps place it at auction on eBay.

Last edited:
If your getting the Dock have a look at the stabilisation settings, not sure what they call it but your best setting is called active or something like that.

I've been thinking more and more of upgrading the D80, however I'm still trying to figure out the best sort of upgrade because of the many options.

I probably won't upgrade right away, probably at least a few months before I make a decision and able to go through different aspects between DSLRs.

So far I've looked at a few DSLR's such as the Nikon D7200, D500, D300s, D90 and D750.

I'm also considering a basic full frame FX DSLR such as the D750 as I like the idea of have a larger sensor similar to 35mm (which I use to be into back in the 1970s), however I've been reading about some benefits of having a lighter, smarter and perhaps faster crop sensor DSLR. I haven't yet taken the time to compared all the details and features between DX and FX Nikon DSLR.

I would prefer to stay with Nikon as my first SLR was a Nikon F2 and all my lenses have Nikon mounts.

Current lenses:

AF-S Zoom-Nikkor ED 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF DX
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II Zoom Lens
Sigma AF-MF Telephoto Zoom Lens, 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG MACRO
Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C

I dont know your understanding of FOV (field of view) but a lens gives a different FOV on different size sensors, this is why a lot of bird photographers use crop sensor cameras,

your 600mm would give a field of view of 600mm on full frame and 900mm on crop, if both sensors where say 24mp
unless you could fill the full frame sensor with your subject you would have more pixels on the subject with the crop.

The D7200 is a great choice, the D300 is old tech and soon gets noisy if you up the ISO.

I think your current Nikon lenses will not cover full frame.

Yes for the most part I understand the differences. I was thinking of upgrading my lenses if upgrading to a FX.

A Nikon used D750 going to run around $1500.00+. Expense for better lenses I'm haven't quite figured out. Perhaps another $1000 to $1500?

The Nikon 50-200mm is optimized for a DX DSLR same would be true of the AF-S Zoom-Nikkor ED 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF DX.

Lenses that are designated "DG" usually means the lens is designed with full-frame cameras in mind.

I'm uncertain about the Sigma 150-600 DG lens as Sigma's description shows it a lens designed for both DX and FX cameras.

Since I'm on a budget I'd prefer to keep an upgrade to around $3,000.00 or less.

Perhaps it would be better to stay with a DX DSLR however I'm still looking at options to upgrade to a FX.

Last edited:
You may be better to start a thread FX or DX for bird photography, you will get both recommended but may pick up facts you hadn't thought of.
The D750 is a great camera but i sold mine as with a 150-600 i had not got enough reach for my normal working situation,found i got much better results with a D7200 rather than cropping a D750.

Not that i would recommend it but a sample at ISO 11400 on the 750

Attachments

• 22319012032_952e8e9528_o.jpg
    22319012032_952e8e9528_o.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 75
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back