• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm out of the Alpha club. (1 Viewer)

black crow

:-C

I sold my Swarovski 8x50B binocular to a friend today. I no longer have any serious credibility here. (not that I had any anyway).

I took $300 of the sale and bought a pair of Celestron Granite 8x42s. I had bought the Trailseeker 8x42 for $189 and was blown away by them. Super Wide fov and so easy to look through and tack sharp to my eyes. They didn't even have ED glass and to me they were as good as any binoculars I owned taking everything into account. The Granite is basically the exact same binocular but with ED added. I'm not good at reviews but here's the review on them by Best Binocular Reviews. And the good part is I'll have money left over from my sale for a new computer. This mini mac is about 6 or 7 years old now.

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Celestron8x42Granite-93.htm

So it's with some sadness that I turn in my alpha card. I could have kept mum but I feel that it's best just to tell the truth and accept the consequences of my actions. I want to be seen as a man of integrity if not smarts. 8-P

So, black crow, you not only leave the alpha club, you also seem to indicate that you are doing it happily, and if that was not enough, you inform us in an act that reveals the subversive side of your character that you have replaced a revered Swaro bino by a model from Celestron, something which could be seen as borderline blashphemy !
I am utterly shocked.
;):-O

:-C

I sold my Swarovski 8x50B binocular to a friend today. I no longer have any serious credibility here. (not that I had any anyway).

I took $300 of the sale and bought a pair of Celestron Granite 8x42s. I had bought the Trailseeker 8x42 for $189 and was blown away by them. Super Wide fov and so easy to look through and tack sharp to my eyes. They didn't even have ED glass and to me they were as good as any binoculars I owned taking everything into account. The Granite is basically the exact same binocular but with ED added. I'm not good at reviews but here's the review on them by Best Binocular Reviews. And the good part is I'll have money left over from my sale for a new computer. This mini mac is about 6 or 7 years old now.

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Celestron8x42Granite-93.htm

So it's with some sadness that I turn in my alpha card. I could have kept mum but I feel that it's best just to tell the truth and accept the consequences of my actions. I want to be seen as a man of integrity if not smarts. 8-P

Congratulations on joining the world of the rational and realistic. I passed through MATURITY for about 2 weeks at age 15. I wasn't fun, so I stopped!

My birding bino is an "Alpha." But I would never call it that. It was just a great value on an excellent binocular. It is others who call it an "Alpha." :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
So, black crow, you not only leave the alpha club, you also seem to indicate that you are doing it happily, and if that was not enough, you inform us in an act that reveals the subversive side of your character that you have replaced a revered Swaro bino by a model from Celestron, something which could be seen as borderline blashphemy !
I am utterly shocked.
;):-O

Yeah it's true, I march to a different drummer. I wasn't really thrilled to have them in the end for several reasons. I'm certainly not saying they weren't good optics. On the other had so are the Celestron and for me and what I value in optics they were better.

BC

Be happy. You've got binos you like and some money in your back pocket. What's not to like?

Lee

Thanks. I know my friend will really use them and I wasn't. They were way too heavy for carrying and for the size I would have much preferred a 10x. Had they been 10x I might not have sold them. I could have kept using them on my deck on a monopod. I do still have a 25x100 Oberwerk for that.

I think there ought to be a club based on having over 10 pair of binoculars. I'd qualify for that still. B :)

The 10+ club? The total investment must compare to owning alphas, and convey solid interest and commitment. Do you have particular purposes you think each best for? I have to get accustomed to a bino and would never know which to pick up. I've never owned more than 3, and only recently 3.

The 10+ club? The total investment must compare to owning alphas, and convey solid interest and commitment. Do you have particular purposes you think each best for? I have to get accustomed to a bino and would never know which to pick up. I've never owned more than 3, and only recently 3.
I have the interest and I'm committed to owning binoculars but I don't have the knowledge really and I don't even actually want to get much more than I have so I really don't qualify. As to how I use them.
I line them up and look at them. Then I try to take a different one out on a hike each day and enjoy it. Today I had out the Meopro 10x32 which was lucky because I got to look at two hawks at fairly long range playing on the wind.

I wasn't aware there was a club. Are there dues?
Do old versions of the big four count? What if they're bought used?
How old do they have to be?

FWIW, $2000+ for field bins never squared with me, especially to attain that awesome flat field that's all the rage.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You!

I've always admired your selectivity and restraint, and now I know that I am not capable of this feat.

I am a tenner too, for the most part, though once in a while I digress into the lesser magnitudes, just because I can appreciate them too. But 10's are special to me as well, but not exclusively, for sure.

I have the interest and I'm committed to owning binoculars but I don't have the knowledge really and I don't even actually want to get much more than I have so I really don't qualify. As to how I use them.
I line them up and look at them. Then I try to take a different one out on a hike each day and enjoy it. Today I had out the Meopro 10x32 which was lucky because I got to look at two hawks at fairly long range playing on the wind.

Whether you know it or not, BC, you are a lucky guy. You may be messed up, but so am I! Enjoy your special places that are yours alone, and know that you are lucky in that, at least! And your dogs!

Yes, I'm lucky I live where I can be outside with dogs and binoculars almost every single day. The rest of the day is a little more difficult. I hate pain meds but they do allow me to keep walking.

Congrats BC. The Celestron Granites are excellent. I used to have one, can't remember why I sold it. I'm off the A-list too, down to SE's and MHG. I think the birds don't mind;)

Sure, do what works for you-that is the main idea here-to enjoy what you have, and be happy as much as you can. Yeah, I'm not fond of pain either, or pain meds, but you do what you need to do.

Other than that, have a blast!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back