• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oriole in Canal area, Panama (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hi all, by location the Orange-crowned should be excluded, and by lack of yellow on undertail, the Yellow-tailed should be excluded too. That leaves only Yellow-backed, but it seems to me that the black on the wing reaches up much higher towards the mantle than the drawings indicate in both the local field guide and in the HBW-alive. So it seems I am overlooking something, who can help me out?

Niels

Attachments

• 080 Oriole P1060443.jpg
    080 Oriole P1060443.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 28
Niels, can’t help with the ID. Posting so it doesn’t get buried.

On the attachment I have circled the approximate area that I think should be yellow and not black according to most illustrations I see of Yellow-backed Oriole.

Niels

Attachments

• 000 draw.JPG
    000 draw.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 6
That is really just the "shoulder" Niels, the mantle (scapulars in this case) is just not possible to be seen in your photo (actually a super tiny bit seems to be visible, and that is yellow). Nothing wrong with your bird or with your initial ID suggestion.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back