• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawfinches (1 Viewer)

JohnnyH

Aldershot till I die!
Hiya Folks,

Nipped out to Bookham Common in Surrey this afternoon in the hope of seeing the Hawfinches that have been present there for a few weeks. Arrived at the Car Park & spoke to a couple of in-situ birders who advised that two had showed just before my arrival.I waited for about half an hour,carefully scanning the tree tops, & then one appeared in the top of a distant tree, although I got an excellent view through the scope fantastic! I also managed to show the bird to another couple who only had bins. Better was to come however as a few minutes later, another flew into the top of a much nearer Hornbeam & gave brief but crippling views. Not a new bird for me, but definately the best views I have had of an awesome bird.Drove home on a massive high with the Kaiser Chiefs blasting away on the CD, what a top Sunday afternoon!

Cheers,

John. :t:

I did the same in Northern Ireland at Inch abbey in Co Down I have looked for them twenty times and never seen them I set up the scope pointing at the ground then went back to car to get camera just incase and came back to scope looked through it and there it was I didnt even have to move the scope at all!! I also went home on a high bt didnt listen to kaiser chiefs,

great birds, been lucky enough to see them almost daily here for 2 months, what surprises me is how approacable they are, although nervous on the ground when they're sitting in trees I've been able to get very close on numerous occasions, those bright pink feet always look a little out of place to me ;)

were feeding on Yew berries but now turned their attention to the Hawthorns.

Managed to see them after 3 years of birding (approx) - had to travel 175 mile to Scone palace in Scotland (Nr Perth) - got great views of up to 30 of them, eventually getting close all the time.

That beak looks unreal! amazing they keep their balance! the colours are stunning too, especially when viewed at leisure through the scope.

Hey, they also moved from Yew to Hawthorn where I live. For those who wonder why they can be so hard to see – check what it looked like when it was close and not in the top of poplars! A fierce breeze meant it swept in and out of view!

Attachments

• Hawfinch.jpg
    Hawfinch.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 190
I found a single bird last saturday at haverholme priory'sleaford last saturday.(why do they like places of worship?..cromford church...clumber park chapel...)It was late on and clouds were snowfull!I went home chuffed to bursting ...showed my Mrs the black silhouette pic I scoped...Busby from BT was mentioned!
By the by...couldn't get on sunday ..whence up to 10 birds were seen!!
Please stay til friday morning.....

here's mine, bird sat still for over 30 mins and let me circle the tree several times, approx 30ft away.

Attachments

• haw1.jpg
    haw1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 151
JohnnyH said:
Hiya Folks,

Nipped out to Bookham Common in Surrey this afternoon in the hope of seeing the Hawfinches that have been present there for a few weeks. Arrived at the Car Park & spoke to a couple of in-situ birders who advised that two had showed just before my arrival.I waited for about half an hour,carefully scanning the tree tops, & then one appeared in the top of a distant tree, although I got an excellent view through the scope fantastic! I also managed to show the bird to another couple who only had bins. Better was to come however as a few minutes later, another flew into the top of a much nearer Hornbeam & gave brief but crippling views. Not a new bird for me, but definately the best views I have had of an awesome bird.Drove home on a massive high with the Kaiser Chiefs blasting away on the CD, what a top Sunday afternoon!

Cheers,

John. :t:

Hi John

I went to see them today (Tuesday) and even though I did not get as good a view as you, I did manage to see them (only in flight), definately a new bird for me. Brilliant!

Sean F

P.S. From my sightings I would estimate 4+ still about (around the west car park).

Sean F said:
Hi John

I went to see them today (Tuesday) and even though I did not get as good a view as you, I did manage to see them (only in flight), definately a new bird for me. Brilliant!

Sean F

P.S. From my sightings I would estimate 4+ still about (around the west car park).

Hiya Sean,

Glad you got to see them as well. Saw your post about your local patch - Unstead SF, anything much about there at mo? I was talking to a guy at Bookham & he mentioned that he often dropped in there usually en-route to Thursley, must give it a try sometime.

Cheers,

John.

JohnnyH said:
Hiya Sean,

Glad you got to see them as well. Saw your post about your local patch - Unstead SF, anything much about there at mo? I was talking to a guy at Bookham & he mentioned that he often dropped in there usually en-route to Thursley, must give it a try sometime.

Cheers,

John.

Hi John

Its all gets quiet there at this time of year I am afraid. I went there today and the only birds of note were 3 Buzzards (although there not that common around here), 1 Gadwall (scarce for the site), 2 Stonechat, and 1 Grey Wagtail. I did also see a Chiffchaff last week.

Just wait a month or so and it will all be jumping. Especially if the Little Ringed Plovers decide to breed again (they raised 2 young last year), and you never know what will turn up on passage.

Sean F

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back