• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (27 Viewers)

Is anyone else of the opinion that it looks like the Norwich Cathedral Peregrines aren't gonna nest on the cathedral and maybe are nesting somewhere else... they seem to be using it plenty as a feeding platform but surely they'd have laid by now

Is anyone else of the opinion that it looks like the Norwich Cathedral Peregrines aren't gonna nest on the cathedral and maybe are nesting somewhere else... they seem to be using it plenty as a feeding platform but surely they'd have laid by now

Speaking to the guys at Sculthorpe they were hoping that the male would breed with the smaller female who was of breeding age. Unfortunately she was seen off by a much larger younger female (I actually witnessed it myself- I thought they were seeing off a male at the time). The younger female is thought to be too young for breeding this year, but they are waiting and watching at the moment.

Incidentally, the folks from sculthorpe are planning to set up with scopes for people to see the birds over this weekend, with plans to keep a presence there if they do breed. :t:

Blakeney Point today:
Lots of sunshine!
1 Merlin
1 fem Hen Harrier
2 Y Wag
1 Whimbrel
1 singing Grasshopper Warbler
Similar numbers of Phylloscs in plantation as a few days ago
1 Whitethroat
2 Med Gulls over (calling lots)

Titchwell April 21st

Today’s highlights

Garganey – 3 on fresh marsh (2 drakes)
Red crested pochard – drake from Fen Hide
Grasshopper warbler – 3 singing males around the reserve
Med gull – 2 adults on fresh marsh
Hobby – 1 west
Little ringed plover – 3 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Lesser white-fronted goose – adult (of unknown origin) on fresh marsh

Have a good extended (bird-filled?) weekend

Paul

A friend had a male Greenland Wheatear on some local farmland today. I normally associate Greenland Wheatears with autumn migration more than spring (perhaps incorrectly). Are they regular in Spring too?

Thanks

A friend had a male Greenland Wheatear on some local farmland today. I normally associate Greenland Wheatears with autumn migration more than spring (perhaps incorrectly). Are they regular in Spring too?

Thanks

Yes indeed! My understanding is that nominate birds peak in late March/early April and drop off by mid April, Greenland and Icelandic birds (leucorhoa) peak in the second half of April continuing into May. The largest falls I've experienced have been in the second half of April (like the 100 at Sheringham last Saturday) and I've assumed they're all (or mostly) leucorhoa.

By contrast the largest numbers I've seen in autumn (e.g. 550 at Sheringham on 18th Sept 1995) have occurred alongside Scandinavian drift migrants (750 Redstarts and 550 Willow Warblers arrived with the 550 Wheatears) and so I presume are oenanthe. Would be interested to know more about the pattern of leucorhoa in the autumn.

Although I often get a sense of big and bright from late spring Wheatears I'm not always entirely convinced that field identification is as reliable as some people seem to think, especially in autumn when oenanthe is especially variable... but that may just be my ignorance or incompetence.

Wood sandpiper at Cley MWT (21.04.2011)

Would this bird seen yesterday be the earliest record for Norfolk. A quick glance at a Norfolk Bird Report may suggest so - perhaps anyone who saw it could send the details in to the county recorder if proven. Many thanks. P

A friend had a male Greenland Wheatear on some local farmland today. I normally associate Greenland Wheatears with autumn migration more than spring (perhaps incorrectly). Are they regular in Spring too? Thanks

If autumn weather conditions are suitable, Greenland Wheatears tend to bypass UK and fly directly to Africa - see the attached paper - the intro and the discussion obviate the need for any crash course in statistical analysis!
MJB

Attachments

• 2006 Migratory Greenland Wheatear Thorup et al.pdf
    83.1 KB · Views: 61
Would this bird seen yesterday be the earliest record for Norfolk. A quick glance at a Norfolk Bird Report may suggest so - perhaps anyone who saw it could send the details in to the county recorder if proven. Many thanks. P

Pat
Birds of Norfolk shows one record on 2nd April and 3 on 16th. So early but not anywhere near the earliest.

Re Bearded Tit, Bernard Bishop was saying there were a fair number around the marsh during reed cutting, which was after the cold spell.

John

If autumn weather conditions are suitable, Greenland Wheatears tend to bypass UK and fly directly to Africa - see the attached paper - the intro and the discussion obviate the need for any crash course in statistical analysis!
MJB

Thanks for that; very interesting paper. It would be interesting to know whether these birds take a similar migration route back to breeding grounds in the spring, or whether they move North to Europe and then across to Greenland. This would correlate with larger numbers of leucorhoa recorded in Britain in spring, and with the fact that, according to the paper, this subspecies has only been recorded on Atlantic islands (Azores, Madeira, etc.) in autumn.

So it appears that the opposite if true of my previous knowledge in that, to a certain extent, Greenland Wheatears are more regular in Britain in spring than in autumn...thanks for correcting me.

Last edited:
Found a wood sandpiper in lady fen at welney today, but no joy with the bluethroat. I guess it's only being seen early morning. Lots of ruff in varying pumages and a whimbrel too. Nice day out and fabulous weather.
Chris

Also male brambling still coming to my in laws feeder in Holbeach, just over the border

Thanks for that; very interesting paper. It would be interesting to know whether these birds take a similar migration route back to breeding grounds in the spring, or whether they move North to Europe and then across to Greenland. This would correlate with larger numbers of leucorhoa recorded in Britain in spring, and with the fact that, according to the paper, this subspecies has only been recorded on Atlantic islands (Azores, Madeira, etc.) in autumn.

So it appears that the opposite if true of my previous knowledge in that, to a certain extent, Greenland Wheatears are more regular in Britain in spring than in autumn...thanks for correcting me.

Not correcting you - just hoping to adjust your thinking with likely evidence - it's amazing how many people want evidence only when it suits their argument - they grow up to bcome politicians...

The Atlantic wind systems in spring normally would operate against a direct return migration.
MJB

Thanks

Many Greenland birds arrive in late spring and can stay for up to 3 weeks in some areas, here they fatten up ready to migrate to Greenland. Many of these birds can only be 100% identified when caught and measured.
B :)John

'Twas fairly quiet at Happisburgh this morning, the early start not meeting expectations. Still, that's birding. Highlights came in the form of a Grasshopper Warbler 'reeling' from a bramble patch in the dunes at Cart Gap, a fly through Merlin and a Sandwich Tern on the sea defences bearing a coded colour ring. Unfortunately it flew away before I was within reading range. Still, that's ornithology. |=\| Also noted were 9 Wheatears, a Whimbrel and my first singing Lesser Whitethroat of the year...

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back