• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (43 Viewers)

Friday 16th May 1045-1600

A day when the weather felt more like late June rather mid May and the birding was similarly quiet.

MOORS POOL
2 Avocet, 4 Oystercatcher (+ 3 chicks), 1 Lapwing, 1 Shelduck, 1 Shoveler (male), 2 Gadwall (pair), 25 Mallard, 50 Tufted Duck, 2 Grey Heron, 1 Greylag Goose, 29 Canada Goose, Ross's Goose, 2 Mute Swan, 2 GC Grebe, 2 Little Grebe, 21 Coot with 4 broods, 4 moorhen with 2 broods (1 in Amy's Marsh, 1 of 2 well-developed chicks in front of feeding station), Water Rail calling along causeway, 1 Herring Gull, 1 LBB Gull, 4 Common Tern, 5 Whitethroats singing across the reserve.

SAILING POOL
1 GC Grebe, 6 Canada Goose, 18 Mallard, 6 Tufted Duck (not present earlier in afternoon), 3 Coot, 1 Greylag Goose

FLASHES
27 Avocets (+ 8 chicks), 6 LR Plover, 2 Oystercatcher, 4 Shelduck, 4 Gadwall (pair + 2 males), 31 Tufted Duck, 65 Mallard, 6 Canada Goose, 2 Mute Swan, 14 Coot, 3 Herring Gull, 4 LBB Gull, Garden Warbler showing well at confluence of Hen Brook and sluice channel, Goldcrest singing in larches near steps

Over the last few months Thursday has always been a "light" day when its come to visitors who regularly post on this forum - I suppose that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Aa a positive, there's an opportunity for someone to stake it as "their" day (in April to September Wheatearlp normally visits in the evenings).

Sadly, from a reporting point of view, I was otherwise engaged yesterday evening :-C

No new posts from UW for 24 hours! I saw this post and thought somebody has visited! Then I saw the posting and am still worried! Has everybody gone on holiday at the same time? Has UW been sucked down into a large 'sink hole' or up into a 'black hole'! Maybe it has entered the 'Twilight Zone'? Will need to check Google Earth to see if the area still exists! Seriously, why no records or postings?

ATB - Sedgley Birder:-C
maybe you should not rely on others reports its much more fun out in the fresh air try it for yourself8-P

Please elaborate and explain?:-C

When an unusual or notable occurrence takes place, or when numbers are up or down for a species during a specific period we are often treated to statistical information (from Phil Andrews) tracking the species over a substantial part of the history of the Warren. From these one can infer whether trends are optimistic or of concern or, possibly, less unusual than perceived; also just how unusual some of the 'rarer' sightings really are.
Well worth a closer look at the site! Last graph was re Ringed Plovers and is on page 969.

No new posts from UW for 24 hours! I saw this post and thought somebody has visited! Then I saw the posting and am still worried! Has everybody gone on holiday at the same time? Has UW been sucked down into a large 'sink hole' or up into a 'black hole'! Maybe it has entered the 'Twilight Zone'? Will need to check Google Earth to see if the area still exists! Seriously, why no records or postings?

ATB - Sedgley Birder:-C

Given the thirst for reports from Thursday, I give you the contents of my notebook, bearing in mind that I don't count routinely.

Grey Wagtail (1) Sailing Pool
Tufted Duck (several)
Avocet (couple of dozen)
Little Ringed Plover (several, with some birds sitting)
Lesser Black Backed Gull (2 increasing to 9 with birds flying in, bothering the other birds)
Pied Wagtail (1, constantly chased off by Avocets)
Ringed Plover (3)
Dunlin (2)
Shelduck (2 increasing to 5 with birds flying in)
Oystercatcher (1 on Third Flash)

Various Chiffchaffs etc that I didn't write down.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Not much in the way of bird reports lately so here's some recent images.

1. Dunlin flock.
2. Avocet chases Common Sandpiper.
3. Magpies eat Songbirds right?
4. Sedge Warbler
5. Male Reed Bunting

Rob

Attachments

• DSC_3676.jpg
    DSC_3676.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_3974.jpg
    DSC_3974.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_5815.jpg
    DSC_5815.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_5899.jpg
    DSC_5899.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_5928.jpg
    DSC_5928.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 89
maybe you should not rely on others reports its much more fun out in the fresh air try it for yourself8-P

I do get out and about. UW is not close to me and I cannot justify any time and expense spared to visit unless I am in the area. That is why we rely on other peoples postings. Personally, your local patch is local! Max 5 miles from where you live. We can't all have good birding sites on our doorstep. If you live in the West Midlands conurbation you have to look at all aspects of wildlife and a variety of areas to visit. We don't all have the transport/finances to travel to local hotspots. I would rather spend my money and go to the coast for a week to see plenty of migrants etc... I I see something good locally it is a bonus, with the emphasis on locally! Not been to UW for a while, but still good to hear what has been seen.

Best wishes and happy birding:t:

When an unusual or notable occurrence takes place, or when numbers are up or down for a species during a specific period we are often treated to statistical information (from Phil Andrews) tracking the species over a substantial part of the history of the Warren. From these one can infer whether trends are optimistic or of concern or, possibly, less unusual than perceived; also just how unusual some of the 'rarer' sightings really are.
Well worth a closer look at the site! Last graph was re Ringed Plovers and is on page 969.

My apologies! It is only after I posted the reply I thought about Phil Andrews and his graphs/statistical analysis and realised what you and Keith were inferring to. :t:

My apologies! It is only after I posted the reply I thought about Phil Andrews and his graphs/statistical analysis and realised what you and Keith were inferring to. :t:

Good shout about local birding Sedgley..sorry don't know your name......I cannot now visit Upton as I used too due to lack of finance and also making statements that has probably ruffled a few non avian feathers.Most are tongue in cheek as the graph one was......Phil can find facts and charts out of nowt usually and I am always astounded how much info all the proper birders keep.....I sadly am unable to apply myself to such things so rely on others.
I mostly now just trudge around longbridge and Hopwood/Alvechurch areas which luckily are very rural BUT I work either in Oldbury or Industrial Staffs and I get as much wildlife in these places as I do around here.....its spread out more in the countryside.
Keith :t:

Good shout about local birding Sedgley..sorry don't know your name......I cannot now visit Upton as I used too due to lack of finance and also making statements that has probably ruffled a few non avian feathers.Most are tongue in cheek as the graph one was......Phil can find facts and charts out of nowt usually and I am always astounded how much info all the proper birders keep.....I sadly am unable to apply myself to such things so rely on others.
I mostly now just trudge around longbridge and Hopwood/Alvechurch areas which luckily are very rural BUT I work either in Oldbury or Industrial Staffs and I get as much wildlife in these places as I do around here.....its spread out more in the countryside.

For me Upton Warren is all about sharing whether that be daily sightings posted here or in the log books, management of the reserve through the work parties, the ideas and aims behind the conversation activity as posted on this forum by John or various facts and figures about previous sightings and current trends also posted here.

Upton Warren has a wealth of information dating back to the 1960s and more particularly from the early 1980s following the introduction of an annual report and having pulled all this data together in 2008 for the opus celebrating the reserve's 40th anniversary its a shame not to share it as and when an interesting event occurs.

Agree Keith. With a lot of people the financial aspect now restricts where people can go, as well as time. If you live in an interesting area or county which has plenty of nature reserves/sympathetic land owners fine. Personally I don't want to travel miles to an NNR to see interesting things. My interest is in looking locally and making the best of what we can find and enjoy. Can be quite depressing sometimes. For those of a certain age, go on youtube and listen to Cat Stevens singing 'Where do the Children play'. The projected house building programme and potential population in this country is worrying and depressing! Glad I won't be here to see it! If you believe in life after death, not sure what there is worth coming back for? Three sayings that focus my life these days are - Carpe Diem - Do not put off till tomorrow what could of been done today and Treat each day as the first day of the rest of your life.:t::t:

For me Upton Warren is all about sharing whether that be daily sightings posted here or in the log books, management of the reserve through the work parties, the ideas and aims behind the conversation activity as posted on this forum by John or various facts and figures about previous sightings and current trends also posted here.

Upton Warren has a wealth of information dating back to the 1960s and more particularly from the early 1980s following the introduction of an annual report and having pulled all this data together in 2008 for the opus celebrating the reserve's 40th anniversary its a shame not to share it as and when an interesting event occurs.

Phil, I entirely agree with you. But living and birding in the 'Black Country/County' is different to living near or visiting UW. What we have here are small pockets of 'interesting' areas. Due to their urban location they face different and increasing pressures due to encroachment fro housing etc... We don't have the luxury and protection that UW has. As well meaning and good intentions that local authorities have, as well as the excellent work of the Urban Wildlife Trust, the pressure to development marginal land wins. We don't have the luxury of generous buffer zones. UW is a great reserve and enjoy it. As I said in a previous post, the population level is projected to increase, so UW will possibly be threatened at some time in the future! It is the quality of the habitat that is important, not just because it is here.

ATB - :t:

Couple of shots of a Greylag flying over The Flashes today. It seems to be moulting its coverts (or has lost them somehow), so has windows in its wings. Seemed to be flying well enough though. Its companion appeared to have a full complement of feathers.

Attachments

• Greylag 1.jpg
    Greylag 1.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Greylag 2.jpg
    Greylag 2.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 47
Couple of shots of a Greylag flying over The Flashes today. It seems to be moulting its coverts (or has lost them somehow), so has windows in its wings. Seemed to be flying well enough though. Its companion appeared to have a full complement of feathers.

Or be the casuality of the recent shooting around the Sailing Pool?

May's month list has inched forward to 99 species. Nothing really obvious missing other than Coal Tit; with an interesting run of weather from Monday afternoon to Wednesday at least of S>SE winds and showers there is still potential to add (year ticks in bold):

Black-tailed Godwit (who have had a poor spring), Marsh Harrier, Osprey, Red Kite, Sandwich Tern, Black Tern, Little Gull, Turnstone, Sanderling, Redshank, Garganey, Wheatear, Little Owl

A good outside bet for a mega would be Black Kite or Black-winged Stilt based on what is moving elsewhere in the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back