• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic GS-85 SD camcorder and Sony 2X converter (1 Viewer)

Playing around with some combinations. Some though a scope and some with teleconverters. Here is a short clip taken this morning with a panasonic gs-85 camcorder and a sony vcl-hg2037x teleconverter. Distance was around 70 yards. There is a bit of CA in some lighting conditions, but overall it's a pretty good solution for something you can carry in a coat pocket. This clip is highly compressed, so the original is much clearer. Here is the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricksphotos0501/3258663298

Rick

Last edited:
Hi Rick,

An impressive video clip. Well-focused and rock-solid with no vibration. What was the total magnification with your setup? I have the same TC and use it occasionally with my 10x zoom camcorder for close-range work.

For longer range I videoscope using an EagleEye Digiscoping Eyepiece on my scope. This combo gives me just over 100x magnification with good results providing there is little wind.

Mike

Hey Mike,

The camcorder is a 32x and converter 2x, but it really doesn't work out to 64x magnification (as you probably know already). Using the 35mm equivalent focal length for the camcorder zoom, I think it probably works out to around 2500mm fl. Pretty impressive for something so small and easy to carry around when you don't feel like hauling around a scope in the field. This clip is unprocessed and you can actually improve it some using video editing software. You can do a pretty good job with sharpening and such even with freeware like VirtualDub. And, of course, if you are closer to the subject get improved resolution and feather detail.

Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back