• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Elite: (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

Bushnell Elite: "THERE’S NOTHING BRIGHTER OR SHARPER ON THE PLANET" say Bushnell

I noticed on the web page

http://www.bushnell.com/products/binoculars/elite/

Bushnell claim "THERE’S NOTHING BRIGHTER OR SHARPER ON THE PLANET"

I don't believe the "SHARPER" bit especially without ED glass in the objectives. I have the previous generation Elite and to me they are not quite a sharp as the various ED bins I have (both top end and Chinese ED).

I think most of the folks that have reviewed the last two generations also don't seem to agree with that statement.

Nothing brighter or sharper huh? Wow. My other favorite is "reigning world leaders in the category". Which category would that be exactly? Because I'm pretty sure there are others in it that are beating them.

I mean I don't question they are very fine binoculars, just... not quite as fine as they sound here.

Well, ya turn the marketing types loose (most of whom have little tech smarts), and the hyperbole flows. It's all pervasive in modern culture.....and very tiresome, but.....whatta ya gonna do? (Currently I am so sick of the ATT vs Verizon baloney I wooden use either one of 'em...and insurance and "e-d pills"....never have quite figured out why they always want us to "see Alice" if yr havin' trouble with, ya know....I mean what's she gonna do? It'd probably hafta be somethin' naughty.....).

But havin' sed that, I did have a chance to audition one of the new Elite 10x43 a few months ago on an outing with our group, and was very impressed. As I mentioned in another post, if I didden have a 10x already (actually have 2), the Elite would be very high on the list. Alpha quality at half the $. Doubtful they'd come out with another upgrade, as this model's only been out about 3 yrs.

eo

Well, ya turn the marketing types loose (most of whom have little tech smarts), and the hyperbole flows. It's all pervasive in modern culture.....and very tiresome, but.....whatta ya gonna do?

There are laws against false advertising enforced by FTC, et al. The law tries to distinguish mere sales puffery (OK) from factual misrepresentations (not OK). I don't get too excited about this Bushnell ad, but it does seem to verge on factual misrepresentation.

Best,
Jim

Actually they prove it inaccurate all by themselves. They state nothing brighter on the planet, and then state 90% light transmission. I know there are higher transmission rates, because I even have a binocular with 92%, and the Swaro EL claims 98% so...

Oh salespeople. How lame.

I have just finished a stint using the new Elites and must say I am not too impressed. The mechanism to attach the straps to the body has broken, the eye cups do not lock in position and the diaopter ring does not lock. They are oaky to look through but they seem poorly made and thought out.

When I use binos they tend to be around my neck for the entire day and are supject to rough conditions. I vey much doubt these binos will last long considering the state they are in after 73 days.

BrightonBirder: Which Elites?

and the diaopter ring does not lock

The diopter setting (by the focus) does lock on the Elites but perhaps not on the Elite E2 (which maybe you are thinking of?). This thread is about the former not the latter (see the link at the top).

The strap connection system is now used across the Bushnell range. I'm not a fan either. I've had it unclip itself once by itself.

Nothing like diluting the brand and causing user confusion be reusing the name on two different bins, eh, Bushnell ;)

The new owners (Ocean Partners, from what I can gather) are not optics people.....it's an int'l metals conglomerate, apparently looking to diversify. Their repair policies have changed and so has the warranty coverage (not nearly as good as before). They may take it to oblivion unless they let the folks who stayed on after the takeover run the show. I smell bean counters.....

The new owners (Ocean Partners, from what I can gather) are not optics people.....it's an int'l metals conglomerate, apparently looking to diversify. Their repair policies have changed and so has the warranty coverage (not nearly as good as before). They may take it to oblivion unless they let the folks who stayed on after the takeover run the show. I smell bean counters.....

Where have you found info on a new Bushnell repair and warranty policy? Their USA website hasn't been updated for the past year and so I wasn't aware anything had changed.

--AP

The address is the same, and you still send the unit in with $10, but then they'll notify you of repair or replacement charges. Used to be a virtual no-fault deal, but now unless they can determine it's a defect, it'll cost ya. For example, I bought a 7x35 Zephyr on ebay about 8yrs ago that had sat in a closet for 25-30yrs....diopter, focus & hinge frozen, dirty inside & outside. Called the lab, told them the situation, they sed sent with $10, brief description of problem & return address. In 2 weeks it was back and except for normal wear, looked like new. Had an original 7x26 Custom that I dropped onto a carpeted floor from waist height, knocked outa collimation. Same deal, $10....also an 8x36 Custom sent for general cleaning & service....$10. That no longer applies. The 7x26 Elite I now have took a bump and became misaligned.....$78 to recollimate, plus the $10.

So Nikon, Zeiss, et al, now have a definite leg up on Bushnell for that, where before the Kansas City lab was the fastest and least expensive of all....and they did 1st rate work, which to me was a real selling point.

Well my fancy carrying case says Elites. THe diopter ring most certainly does not lock. It slips in an out of place mutliple times per hour.

I think you have an E2 with a non-locking diopter setting (like the ol Discoverer roofs).

This is an E2.

http://digitalcontent.cnetchannel.com/0b/03/0b0394a2-59f1-478b-a734-13d84164a8b8.jpg

This is the Ellite that this thread is referring to is an open bridge with a locking diopter setting (initially as it seems the revised model is an E2) pull the ring back to expose a red band and you can adjust it push it forward and it locks the setting.

I used a 10x43 Elite (open bridge) for a couple of years big game hunting and was impressed with their toughness and optics. They were right up there optically with my Trinovids.

99% light transmission

Actually they prove it inaccurate all by themselves. They state nothing brighter on the planet, and then state 90% light transmission. I know there are higher transmission rates, because I even have a binocular with 92%, and the Swaro EL claims 98% so...

Oh salespeople. How lame.

The Helios AM6+ claims 99% light transmission.
I use the 8x32 and a B&L Elite 8x42.
The Helios IS brighter and exceptionally sharp.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back