• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild species numbers in the Masai Mara drop by two thirds (Earth Times) (1 Viewer)

"The numbers of grazing cattle has increased by 1100%. The heavy grazing of this livestock displaces the natural fauna, the foodstuff of most of the larger mammals. Combined with severe droughts in recent decades, this leaves the larger species facing potential starvation."
Cattle are an invasive species...they're not so bad until they dominate the landscape and wipe out grasses. Between that and the poaching...I'm not suprised at all. Add the lack of penalty for getting caught poaching and this makes perfect sense. BTW I'm, not booking a trip to Africa to see cattle.

Last edited:
No suprise!!

Its quiet clear that the Masai way of life in no longer sustaineable in 2011 Kenya - hording livestock as a sign of wealth was fine back in 1950 when Kenya's pop was a mere 6 million, today its heading over 40 million with the associated massive pressure on all sorts of natural resources. Back in 09' I was shocked by the damage vast herds of goats and cattle were doing to the grasslands and acacia in Samburu to the extent that the grass seed reserves in the soil had become exhausted. This meant that when the rains came, the grass did not return. Since the 60's numbers of predators, Giraffe, Eland etc. have crashed in the area and its not hard to see why:(. I fear something similiar is now playing out in the Mara:(

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back