• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around Hoi An (1 Viewer)

MK90

Always learning
I will be visiting Vietnam in early April next year. I'll be going with my girlfriend who isn't a birder and therefore it isn't strictly a birding trip. However, we have factored in a couple of days in Cat Tien, for which I have found loads of really useful information for. We'll then be moving on to Hoi An where I hope to spend some time out with my bins. I've really struggled to find any information on where would be best around this area. Has anybody birded around Hoi An and are there any particular areas I should target?

Thanks.

If you follow Hai Ba Trung street north out of the town, the first large area of rice fields and marshes is very good for all kinds of water birds and has many popular paths for walking or cycling. For forest birds, Bach Ma national park is 2 hours drive away and is outstanding but you need to spend a night in one of the hotels at the top (can be booked on internet booking sites). Ba Na is closer, but not nearly as good for birds.

Here's a list of birds I've seen at this site (January, so April will be a little different)
Greater Coucal
Plaintive Cuckoo
Germain's Swiftlet
Common Moorhen
Grey-headed Swamphen
White-breasted Waterhen
White-browed Crake
Pheasant-tailed Jacana
Common Snipe
Pin-tailed Snipe
Common Sandpiper
Common Greenshank
Marsh Sandpiper
Wood Sandpiper
Yellow Bittern
Cinnamon Bittern
Grey Heron
Purple Heron
Great White Egret
Intermediate Egret
Little Egret
Cattle Egret
Chinese Pond Heron
Black-winged Kite
Common Kingfisher
White-throated Kingfisher
Pied Kingfisher
Blue-tailed Bee-eater
Brown Shrike
Long-tailed Shrike
Black Drongo
Barn Swallow
Sooty-headed Bulbul
Yellow-browed Warbler
Dusky Warbler
Black-browed Reed Warbler
Oriental Reed Warbler
Plain Prinia
Zitting Cisticola
Siberian Stonechat
Common Myna
Great Myna
Paddyfield Pipit
Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Agree that the rice fields are a really nice site. Very scenic classical Vietnamese scenery too and no cars on the paths which meant it was one of the most tranquil spots in all of Vietnam (forest sites have deafening cicadas quite often!)
James

Ps it was I think the only place I saw cinnamon bittern although there may have been some at van long

Add Black-collared, Red-billed and White-shouldered Starlings, Painted Stork (? - seen in flight at dusk), Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler, Blue-throated Bee-eater (plus Little Green in summer) , Little Ringed Plover, White-throated Fantail, Blue Rock Thrush and Claudia's Leaf Warbler in a feeding flock in a small copse, seen in Dec 2015.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back