• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

[HELP] livecam next to the birdfeeder (1 Viewer)

Marsh Warbler

Hello everyone, I hope the topic has not already been discussed. If I wanted to install a livecam next to the birdfeeder of my garden, and if I wanted to broadcast the video on Youtube, what would I need? Obviously I already own a personal computer connected to the Internet but, from the practical point of view, what else should I have? Any webcam is fine? I guess it should be resistant to water but then how to connect it to the PC? With a cable or via wi-fi? And can the recorded video be sent directly to my Youtube channel? Sorry for my ignorance on the subject ... Thank you so much for those who want to help me ;-)

You can use a normal USB webcam but as you say it would need to be waterproof or in a waterproof housing. The second issue would be that USB is optimised for shortrange, 5m is the maximum, lower for USB3. You could use powered USB hubs strung together every 5m!

Option 2 would be to use a "power over ethernet" camera this is connected with a single network cable that supplies the data and power connection. These can run for 100m but you would need to check that your home network hub can supply power over ethernet, not all can.

Option 3 would to use to use WiFi to get the signal back from the camera, but you would still need to supply power to the camera so it doesn't do away with cabling.

When looking for cameras you need to look at the security market. Some vendors are starting to aim such cameras at the wildlife market but there are many more aimed at the security market. Watch out for cameras that plug straight into your TV they are not what you want. Also check the minimum focus, a bird table cam would need to focus much closer than a security cam covering a driveway.

As to the streaming side that is quite straightforward and YouTube has a handy help page, https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853700

Another point to bear in mind is your internet connection; many household connections are asymmetric, aimed at maximising download speed and have a much slower upload speed. Whilst you can real-time stream to your computer you might not be able to real-time stream out from it.

I am a year late in my reply (same day viewing however...) but I am totally jazzed about an error. I placed a security cam in an owl box about 100m from the house in a clearing in our woods. That was fun and fine. ..entertaining enough, but Tree Rats chewed into the cable and I have been fiddling and dragging my feet with it since. As a distraction for my wife, I simply placed another cam in a different box at the birdbath.

Woah! This was actually a better placement than the original cam. I simply set it on some sawhorses but it has been there all summer/fall.

The monitor is on a corner counter in the kitchen where it can be seen easily/frequently.
We are not professional birders, just folks that like county living and the opportunity to see, and share it with, nature.

As an aside - I would not place a camera at a feeder. It has been the same suspects for many years of feeding at home and at my business. (I buy peanuts in 45kg sacks + other types of seed.)

Cheers. Jim

Attachments

• Bath3.jpg
    Bath3.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Blue1.jpg
    Blue1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • Warbler1.jpg
    Warbler1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back