• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying second hand binoculars. Where? (1 Viewer)

Tomly

Other Ebay and the For Sale forum here - where do people look for second hand binoculars?

I’m starting my search for a used pair of 7x42s (of some variety). I’m a schoolteacher so I’m certainly looking sub-alpha (or vintage alpha) and hoping that broadening my search might yield a better deal.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Other Ebay and the For Sale forum here - where do people look for second hand binoculars?

I’m starting my search for a used pair of 7x42s (of some variety). I’m a schoolteacher so I’m certainly looking sub-alpha (or vintage alpha) and hoping that broadening my search might yield a better deal.

Thoughts?

A school teacher ... I’m sooooo sorry! I’m married to one. The administrators in southern Idaho have a mantra ... “We can’t afford it.” So, she has to create a curriculum for each class ... every day. The school can't afford a curriculum. We knew we were going to lose $25K a year for her to teach here. But that has blossomed to $36K through misspeak and the native “whatever” attitude.

Back to binos: There is always thrift stores, but my best luck has been with pawn shops. I once bought a Fujinon MTR-SX for $100 (like new) just by showing the proprietor it was massively out of collimation. Having fixed a few hundred just like it, I didn’t see a problem. :cat:

Bill

Hi,

as for places to look in for used I would also try craigslist or ither classifieds for offers in driving range for personal pickup and used shops of large optics shops like bhphoto or adorama.

As for what to get, vintage alphas can be nice - with 7x pairs the lack of phase coatings in older roof pairs is not so bad as with 8x or higher.
Trinovid 7x42, Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 will be nice, the Swaro Habicht porro 7x40 has a very narrow field of view so I would avoid it.

A good and reasonably priced new option would be the Opticron Discovery 7x42 WP PC for around at around 250 USD.

Joachim

A school teacher ... I’m sooooo sorry! I’m married to one. The administrators in southern Idaho have a mantra ... “We can’t afford it.” So, she has to create a curriculum for each class ... every day. The school can't afford a curriculum. We knew we were going to lose $25K a year for her to teach here. But that has blossomed to $36K through misspeak and the native “whatever” attitude.

Back to binos: There is always thrift stores, but my best luck has been with pawn shops. I once bought a Fujinon MTR-SX for $100 (like new) just by showing the proprietor it was massively out of collimation. Having fixed a few hundred just like it, I didn’t see a problem. :cat:

Bill

I’ll start dropping into own shops. Is your experience with collimation that it tends to be a couple hundred to fix?

Hi,

as for places to look in for used I would also try craigslist or ither classifieds for offers in driving range for personal pickup and used shops of large optics shops like bhphoto or adorama.

As for what to get, vintage alphas can be nice - with 7x pairs the lack of phase coatings in older roof pairs is not so bad as with 8x or higher.
Trinovid 7x42, Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 will be nice, the Swaro Habicht porro 7x40 has a very narrow field of view so I would avoid it.

A good and reasonably priced new option would be the Opticron Discovery 7x42 WP PC for around at around 250 USD.

Joachim

Thanks for the recommendations! I’ll take a look at the Opticrons.

My ideal would be to find a cosmetically rough Leica BN or Zeiss FL. Might be worth saving for - but likely outside my range right now.

I’ll start dropping into own shops. Is your experience with collimation that it tends to be a couple hundred to fix?

First, 100% of the would-be collimation practitioners on the Internet address Conditional Alignment and not 3-axis collimation; there are important differences!

10 years ago, I charged $120 an hour with a 1 hour minimum. That was the LETTER of the law to keep the know-it-all cheapskates outta my hair. It was a great rock to hide behind that cut down on negativity while I got my work done. In reality, I worked by the SPIRIT of the law that allowed my to do many freebees that other professionals charged for. For SOME of the military stuff, I HAD to charge that much. But usually, I found a loophole for them, too. I was repeatedly told I couldn’t make a profit doing things the way I did. I laughed all the way to the bank and had a great and loyal customer cadre. The attachment came from the business section of a town 30 miles away.

“Success is not the key to happiness; happiness is the key to success.” — Albert Schweitzer

Contact Cory Suddarth of S.O.R. in Henryetta, Oklahoma. I think you’ll find $200 considerably more than needed. Besides, Cory saw a binocular ... once. It was in a magazine ... but, whatever. He’s the best we have, at least until I hang out a shingle, again. Then, he goes back to being optical dog meat!

But Cory KNOWS those differences and has the equipment and procedure to give you the “full meal deal.” :cat:

Bill

PS The following is from a book I’m not allowed to mention:

“ ... Fellow shipmate and former Navy Opticalman, Cory Suddarth, was with me the day I took a call from a fellow who had been a repair manager at his company for many years. The essence of his call went something like this:

“I just don’t understand it; I’ll get the binocular collimated but when I move one of the barrels, it’s off again.”

“He was right; he didn’t understand it. He was a conscientious technician but, being unfamiliar with the basics of 3-axis collimation and following today’s popular but flawed alignment techniques, he and his staff had been selling CoAl as collimation to his repair customers all those years. It was this experience that caused me to first suggest there’s a big difference between 20 years of experience and one year of experience 20 times.”

Attachments

• Scan 1 copy 2.jpg
    Scan 1 copy 2.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Secondhand Glass

Try Astromart, you would have to join for an up front fee of $15.00, one can sell there also. Also check Cloudy nights classifieds.

Andy W.

I have gotten several used/demo binoculars from CameralandNY.
Not a big discount but in good shape as advertised .
Astromart and CNs S&S seem low risk,
but one needs to know binoculars and their dealers.
Usually ok but always some degree of risk for the money saved.

edj

Other than Ebay not much 7x42 binoculars out there. Meade Montana if you can find one.Astromart did not have any 7x42 binoculars for sale a 7x35 Nikon E for about$90

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations! I’ll take a look at the Opticrons.

My ideal would be to find a cosmetically rough Leica BN or Zeiss FL. Might be worth saving for - but likely outside my range right now.

Hi,

the Opticrons received glowing reviews on here when tested side by side with an FL. See https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=362909.

If you want to save up and go used alpha, a Nikon EDG 7x42 is also a very good option - if you are not too sensitive for rolling ball, that is.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1218235#post1218235

Joachim

Joachim,

Thanks for that last link, quite informative even though it was a few years out. Some good debate regarding Nikon Customer service.

Andy W.

Joachim,

Thanks for that last link, quite informative even though it was a few years out. Some good debate regarding Nikon Customer service.

Andy W.

I've had excellent service from Nikon over the years when I needed it. I registered my binoculars with Nikon when I purchased them. I'm sure that helped.

Bob

I have gotten several used/demo binoculars from CameralandNY.
Not a big discount but in good shape as advertised .
Astromart and CNs S&S seem low risk,
but one needs to know binoculars and their dealers.
Usually ok but always some degree of risk for the money saved.

edj

Same here.

I got an open box never used Leica 8x42 Ultravid Blackline from Camera Land at a Demo price. It looked like it had never been touched. It came with an 11 year warranty. Apparently Leica requires that any of their binoculars that are taken to shows be sold as Demos even though they have never been touched by the public.

I also purchased Demos from Eagle Optics. I bought my Swarovski 7x42 SLC B and my Zeiss Victory 7x42 T* FL Lotutec from them as Demos. They have full warranties.

Bob

Cannot comment on Nikon customer service - my Nikon bins work fine.

But quite frankly - I come from a country where there are no such things as lifetime no questions asked warranties (they're actually forbidden by law over here as a company cannot promise an indefinite warranty without knowing if the company still exists in 50 years).

So my expectations for service are a bit more realistic - that is if it breaks sometime during the 10 year warranty they fix the damage and there is no need to get back an as new pair with some doggie toy to avoid having the dog chew up your swaros next time...

Joachim

Cannot comment on Nikon customer service - my Nikon bins work fine.

But quite frankly - I come from a country where there are no such things as lifetime no questions asked warranties (they're actually forbidden by law over here as a company cannot promise an indefinite warranty without knowing if the company still exists in 50 years).

So my expectations for service are a bit more realistic - that is if it breaks sometime during the 10 year warranty they fix the damage and there is no need to get back an as new pair with some doggie toy to avoid having the dog chew up your swaros next time...

Joachim

Hi Jochim,

I am the person who related that story about a young Labrador Retriever chewing up his master's Swarovski 8x42. I think it was an SLC. It happened years ago.

All Swarovski did was replace the damaged covering on the binocular and the focus wheel. They returned it to the owner with a Chew Toy for his dog. The only costs to the owner were postage and insurance.

Bob

I have been happy with used binoculars that I've purchased from both B&H and Adorama, with my most recent pair - a set of 10x42 Zeiss Conquest HD's coming from Adorama at about $750 shipped. I am very satisfied with the binoculars and felt it was a solid deal. Maybe not a great deal, but the ability to return them for up to 30 days was worth probably $75-100 to me personally.

I'm not going to return them, but knowing I had time to evaluate them and return them if I found any issues at all, was why I chose Adorama (or B&H before them).

Tomly if it was me I would check this thread out, long thread. I have a Kenko-Tokina Ultraview EX OP DHII 8x32 binocular that a fellow kindly sold me at a decent price and I like it a lot and I think it might be similar to the other models like the Sightron Blue Sky. Also look at Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 there is a very long thread on the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 there is a Fuji model of what looks a lot like the other two. There is also a very nice equipment review section on Bird Forum as well.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back