• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leitz trinovid 10x40ba (1 Viewer)

CBR176336

Im New To This Site, Well New In The Sense That I Signed Up, Anyway Im Looking For Opinions On Leitz Trinovid 10x40ba ,black Body ,little Red Leitz Logo ,seller Says There From The Late 80,s Early 90,s ,actually He Said 20 Years Old , Which If Thats The Case Would They Not Say Leica , Says Optically Perfect With A Close Focus Option Added (no Idea What That Means ) He Has The Box They Came And The Case , $500.00 Just Wondering Fair? To High? Im A Lower End Binocular Owner ,nikon Monarch 8x42 ,minox 8x42 ,canon Is 8x25, Thank You In Advance For Any Help Here ,chris

Hi CBR and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t;

I've moved your post to the Binocular section as you are likely to get some speedy thoughts here. I've also subscribed you to this thread so you don't lose track of it ;)

The Leitz 10x40B Trinovid was produced through 1990 and succeeded by the Leica 10x42BA.
See: http://home.europa.com/~telscope/leitzbin.txt
The Leitz name was subsumed into the Leica brand around that time.
Afaik, the BA designation indicates that the binocs are suitable for glasses( the B) and are rubber armored(the A). If you have a Leitz glass labeled BA, it might be worth looking further whether it is a collectors item.

Hi Chris, welcome.

This sounds ok from your description, the Leitz logo is fine for this model, one in green sold recently for $699.00 in good condition, and a mint black rubber one sold in the UK for a whopping $963, which in my view is too much, but it was as new, boxed and virtually unused. You say optically perfect, so if boxed and in cosmetic perfect condition $500 sounds ok. The 10x40BA is said to have greater eye relief than the 10x40B. Do you know what condition the body is in? 10x is too much magnification for me but I am looking for the 7x42 version and would snap a good one up at that price.

Last edited:
Thanks Bencw , The Body Is Good According To The Seller Who Seems Very Honest, They Sent Pics Wish I Knew How To Post Them, Also The Guy Said He Had The Close Focus Added To Them I Have No Idea What That Means ,which Led Me Hear ,where People Have So Much Knowledge, About This, Anyway My Best Pair Of Binoculars Are Nikon Monarch 8x42 ,would These Leitz Blow Them Away Or Not So Much?

How to attach pictures

If you are in a new thread press the grey "Manage Attachments" button. If you are replying to a post you need to press "Go Advanced" first rather than use "Quick Reply".

Press "Browse" to find the picture and then press Upload. Now wait until you see that the upload has completed (information about the file will appear). Attach any other pictures in the same way (there is a maximum of 5 pictures per post) and then press "Close this Window".

Your picture(s) should now be attached.

You need to resize your photo so it is less than 490kb The dimensions of any photos should be no more than 1200 pixels on the longest side. If you need more help let us know.

I don't think these will be any better than your Monarchs or Minox, probably not as good. The Leitz Trinovids were neither phase correctied nor multi-coated, so they are neither as bright nor as sharp as a typical modern roof prism binocular that sells for $200. IMO they are for collectors only, not for somebody just looking for a good $500 binocular.

The "close focusing" was a modification that was done by repositioning the moving internal eyepiece elements that were used for focusing. Some focus beyond infinity was sacrificed for closer focus. The resulting close focus was not very close by modern standards (as I recall around 12-13'), but better than the unmodified 20' or so.

Last edited:
Thanks Henry , They Seem To Have A Sentimental Following (the Leitz) But Im Looking For Optics And When They Dont Compare To A $200 Or $300 Pair, Then At $500 Im Not Doing To Well , Thanks For The Help ,, Chris

I don't think these will be any better than your Monarchs or Minox, probably not as good. The Leitz Trinovids were neither phase correctied nor multi-coated, so they are neither as bright nor as sharp as a typical modern roof prism binocular that sells for $200. IMO they are for collectors only, not for somebody just looking for a good $500 binocular.

Well put. These will appeal to a collector. Cool bins though.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back