• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peruvian Amazon Recommendations on a Budget (1 Viewer)

Winterdune

Hi all,

Last time I went to Peru, 17 years ago, my partner and I had a fantastic trip into the Amazon from Cusco, visiting Amazonia Lodge and Manu Wildlife Centre - really the trip of a lifetime. Now we are lucky enough to be going back, but this time with our two children, aged 12 and 15. Budget is a lot tighter and I am wondering if there is any way to get into the Amazon, to a place with a reasonable chance of seeing a fair range of primary forest birds and mammals, on a tighter budget? I'd really like to get my kids to the Amazon, but simply cannot afford the prices of the likes of Manu...

Thanks
Sean

Explorer's Inn in Tambopata is worth considering. Should be fairly cheap to fly into Puerto Maldonado from e.g. Lima. They can pick you up from there and their prices are generally lowish. Accommodation and meals aren't especially fancy though they're okay and it's a fairly friendly place. The birding is good but sometimes quite hard work. Here's their standard birding package:
http://www.explorersinn.com/en/birdwatching

Thanks Andrew. That's still well beyond our budget. I realise my quest for something much cheaper is probably a non-starter, but here's hoping...
Sean

It may still be worth looking into accommodation in the Puerto Maldonado area, as I think there are quite a few places to stay of varying types and budgets. The birding will vary, but there will still be quite a bit just generally around, even in more degraded areas. A quick search on Booking.com produced quite a few places.

The Iquitos area is probably also worth looking into, although I've not been there myself so can't say too much. It may be easiest to stay in some regular accommodation that suits your requirement and then go for a short tour/ river trip to see the forests a bit more. I suspect that would be pretty easy to arrange.

Does it have to be Peru? I have never been to either, but it is my impression that Bolivia is a cheaper alternative.

Niels

Does it have to be Peru? I have never been to either, but it is my impression that Bolivia is a cheaper alternative.

Niels

I was going to say the same, what about Venezuela?

Despite what's being written at the moment, we were there last year and always felt very safe. No issues at all with anything and the birding was great though we were'nt in the Amazon.

Andy

Venezuela certainly is extraordinarily cheap right now - earlier this year, I paid $1 for an entire crate of beer (you can see where my priorities lie) and internal flights were $10. With the collapse of Venezuelan currency, budgets for travel are a fraction of what they used to be. A terrible situation for Venezuelans, but in the long term at least knock-down prices will help tourism. You have to be careful though and take note of local advice.

I have been to Venezuela and certainly wouldn't mind going again but I am specifically asking about the Peruvian Amazon in thus thread. Flights to Peru are booked.
Sean

Sean, if it's Peru you're after, Andrew's suggestion is a good one. You might be able to negotiate something with Explorer's Inn, if you can provide a service in return. Like many others before and after, I spent several months there in the 1980s when EI would use willing hands in exchange for free research time. The birding and wildlife were spectacular. I've not been back to Peru for a while now, but I seem to recall hearing recently that EI had changed hands and was being "reactivated", so they may be amenable. I'm sure someone who lives / works in Peru can tell you.

Perhaps those Ven prices reflect post-Brexit Sterling ;-)

Perhaps those Ven prices reflect post-Brexit Sterling ;-)

They certainly don't refelct the current Venezuelan economic picture! Clearly a great amount of cashing in going on by those trading in Dollars.

Just too add that this was not including an international airfare!

Andy

Last edited:
Hi all,

Last time I went to Peru, 17 years ago, my partner and I had a fantastic trip into the Amazon from Cusco, visiting Amazonia Lodge and Manu Wildlife Centre - really the trip of a lifetime. Now we are lucky enough to be going back, but this time with our two children, aged 12 and 15. Budget is a lot tighter and I am wondering if there is any way to get into the Amazon, to a place with a reasonable chance of seeing a fair range of primary forest birds and mammals, on a tighter budget? I'd really like to get my kids to the Amazon, but simply cannot afford the prices of the likes of Manu...

Thanks
Sean

Email me at [email protected]. We are going to Peru next month including Amazonia and can give you some info on where and costings etc. Russ

Villa de Carmen (Pillcopata area, on the Manu Rd) and Los Amigos (accessed from P Maldonado), run by the same folks as Wayqecha, are the best options to get into good habitat at reasonable prices that I am aware. No guiding there, but if you do not want a guide and want excellent birding they are a great option.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back