• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

(Armenian) Gulls, Van, Turkey (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Hi all,

All those photos are from Van, Eastern Turkey, taken this month (August 2020).

I believed all are Armenian Gulls. About the two adults, I'm surprised that the typical blackish band on the bill of the species is so attenuated ; iris looks paler than usual. I also wonder about the legs, so dull.

The two immatures with black bill are very pale, worn I guess. Can 1cy be that worn or are they 2cy ? I would say 2cy, but didn't know bill can be all black at this age.

The last bird look different than all others I see around. Can it be a 2cy, as the previous ones, but that moulted mantle and scapulars while previous are only about to moult ?

Thank you !

Attachments

• larus_turkey_bf_1.JPG
    larus_turkey_bf_1.JPG
    387.6 KB · Views: 66
  • larus_turkey_bf_3.jpg
    larus_turkey_bf_3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 48
  • larus_turkey_bf_2.JPG
    larus_turkey_bf_2.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 41
  • larus_turkey_bf_4.jpg
    larus_turkey_bf_4.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 24
  • larus_turkey_bf_5.JPG
    larus_turkey_bf_5.JPG
    373.2 KB · Views: 37
all birds surely armenians (on structure alone). adults can have all yellow bills during breeding season, now it's a bit late but still possible. as for the bleached birds i tend to think they are 1cy indeed with a deficiency in melanin since they should be aproximately at the same stage in primary moult as the depicted 2cy (pic 5), which is not the case. soon there should start an extensive postjuvenile moult in these birds recreating an somewhat normal plumage..

all birds surely armenians (on structure alone). adults can have all yellow bills during breeding season, now it's a bit late but still possible. as for the bleached birds i tend to think they are 1cy indeed with a deficiency in melanin since they should be aproximately at the same stage in primary moult as the depicted 2cy (pic 5), which is not the case. soon there should start an extensive postjuvenile moult in these birds recreating an somewhat normal plumage..

Thanks Lou, very helpful ; glad you bumped into my post. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back