• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SA Cedarberg ID help (1 Viewer)

RichardP

Going back to photos of a trip to Bushman's Kloof in the Cedarberg area - start of November - my first thought on this was Scrub-Robin, but the combination of Rufous tail, primaries and head, with the greyish back and sides and pale legs and beak have me completely baffled. Is it a juvenile? Any help appreciated.

Richard

Attachments

• Bushmans(Sequence # (01)»}.jpg
    Bushmans(Sequence # (01)»}.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Bushmans(Sequence # (01)»}-2.jpg
    Bushmans(Sequence # (01)»}-2.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 25
It"s a cisticola. Don't know location, which would narrow down options, eg Rattling looks like this and is common in dry scrubby lowland, Wailing looks like this and is commoner in wet ferny Highlands. Just googled Cedarberg, and see it's in western cape, so maybe try Grey-backed?

Last edited:
It has to be Grey-backed. Only similar options in that part of the country are Levaillant's and Neddicky, which I believe don't quite fit.

Pretty sure that doesn't occur in western cspe
Appears we're talking about the same bird. As usual, common names are confusing. One of my guides has it as Red-headed Cisticola and the other guide has it as Grey-backed Cisticola. They both have it as Cisicola subruficapilla.

Just as an aside, I put your image into the Merlin app, (using the South Africa pack), and it came out with Red-headed Cisticola.

Appears we're talking about the same bird. As usual, common names are confusing. One of my guides has it as Red-headed Cisticola and the other guide has it as Grey-backed Cisticola. They both have it as Cisicola subruficapilla.

Aha! Didn't realise it had 2 common names :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back