• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Covid - effect on bird tourism (1 Viewer)

mclay100

I cancelled a summer trip to SE Brazil - wonder what 2021 will bring? What do you think will be the safest countries for travel in summer 2021? I was thinking of doing something in Europe, but given the recent numbers not sure Europe is any better than S. America or N. America.

You might try a Google search on "Countries least affected by Covid" See if that helps you out any.

At the moment, several countries in the Caribbean are effectively without Covid. You would, however, have to have a certain period in quarantine to get in. Other countries I have heard positive things about are Taiwan, S Korea and Japan -- But I know nothing about access. New Zealand has no cases but do not allow visitors at the moment. Northern summer is southern winter so countries south of the equator is likely worse off when you hit summer next time.

I would likely not order tickets more than two weeks ahead of travel unless I have to because I would otherwise lose a ticket that was postponed.

Niels

PS: I also itch to go traveling again!

Summer 2021 is still so unsure. It all depends on how fast the vaccines can/will be rolled out in Spring/Summer and if they'll indeed be effective. Best case? Worldwide travel is normal in Summer 2021. Worst case; only risk groups are vaccinated by then, rest will have to wait, travel is still limited. Last minute travel seems wisest. I'm not counting on any Spring trips.

I put my hand up and say that I am not one, but there will be plenty amongst us who are rejoicing in the lack of airplane travel and foreign tourism right now. But....

what effect will this all have on some very special places. The Mindo valley in Ecuador is an area I’m particularly worried about having visited there recently. The local conservationists have managed to persuade the local population that keeping the forests and having wildlife tourists is better for the economy, the environment and the long term viability of the area. Should we get a year, two years, who knows how many years without tourists and that argument will start to look less appealing. I imagine this is being replicated in many many parts of the world.

I put my hand up and say that I am not one, but there will be plenty amongst us who are rejoicing in the lack of airplane travel and foreign tourism right now. But....

what effect will this all have on some very special places. The Mindo valley in Ecuador is an area I’m particularly worried about having visited there recently. The local conservationists have managed to persuade the local population that keeping the forests and having wildlife tourists is better for the economy, the environment and the long term viability of the area. Should we get a year, two years, who knows how many years without tourists and that argument will start to look less appealing. I imagine this is being replicated in many many parts of the world.

I guess the only hope is the whole economy is taking a hit, so there isn't the same incentive to deforest at the moment, but it must be on a knife edge like you say.

I am not planning on ANY international travel until post distribution of the vaccine (and personally receiving it). And presumably that will be "sometime" in 2021, but who knows when?

I'd like to visit Panama...I already paid for my visit and was intending to go to celebrate my 40th birthday (Wow, that turned out to be the worst birthday ever). Of course, it also looks like I will probably lose money on the airplane tickets bought, and have to buy them all over :(

I am not planning on ANY international travel until post distribution of the vaccine (and personally receiving it). And presumably that will be "sometime" in 2021, but who knows when?

I'd like to visit Panama...I already paid for my visit and was intending to go to celebrate my 40th birthday (Wow, that turned out to be the worst birthday ever). Of course, it also looks like I will probably lose money on the airplane tickets bought, and have to buy them all over :(

Why, don't you have any consumer protection there like we do?

My friend was supposed to travel a few days ago to a European destination, where you need a test to avoid quarantine. No biggie, but he tested positive, oopsie. That doesn't entitle him to a refund, even with all our "consumer protections". Luckily, he's strongly pro-free market, so he pays with pride :)

I really don't see myself going through all this hassle to travel any time soon. Things change very quickly, so you can always just lose any money you have already put in without any chance to fight back. Add the ever-changing restrictions, the added discomfort of travel with masks (as if flying wasn't torturous enough) and the risk that you may actually catch it, get stranded in an isolation, or even urgent care in wherever that happens - and the quality of care may hugely vary as well - that's a big no thank you.

Although I am a bit looking forward to the chance that in the period after this is over, it could take time before places start getting crowded again - yeah, maybe people will be eager to travel, but the economical fallout could make it difficult for people requiring infrastructure and that could be a great time for me.

Incidentally, there are many destinations that are once again open, many requiring a negative Coronavirus test admittedly, but I personally do not see that as a massive hassle. As for needing to wear masks on flights, good, completely agree with this. Biggest obstacle for many would be the requirement to isolate on return home, but fortunately this is of little consequence for me as I've been basically isolating for the past 6 months anyhow :)

The earliest international trip for me will be to the USA in May 2021, provided no Covid troubles, no civil war and low enough snow levels in the Rockies. That would be 1.5 years without international travel for me. Unprecedented! :C

In Europe too, if the flight is still going, but you can't fly or choose not to, you will also lose your money if you haven't purchased a ticket with refund possible.

There is a distinct difference between 'can't' and 'don't want to'.

It's a new area to be contested in law, eventually I'd imagine if the current situation continues, in that the flight is leaving but local restrictions mean you can't travel to the airport although airlines will have it covered in the small print already no doubt.

If you 'choose' not to fly, this is 'disinclination' and has always been subject to a loss of the airfare in most circumstances.

Most insurers started excluding Covid cover from policies very quickly..

Last edited:
Incidentally, there are many destinations that are once again open, many requiring a negative Coronavirus test admittedly, but I personally do not see that as a massive hassle. As for needing to wear masks on flights, good, completely agree with this. Biggest obstacle for many would be the requirement to isolate on return home, but fortunately this is of little consequence for me as I've been basically isolating for the past 6 months anyhow :)

I never said it wasn't 'good', just said I didn't fancy it.

Apart from the flights, car hire, stopping for petrol and buying food on your trips to the Arctic and Italy you mean?

Apart from the flights, car hire, stopping for petrol and buying food on your trips to the Arctic and Italy you mean?

I was referring to at home in Lithuania, the point being it would be no issue if I needed to isolate again on return from a trip - just would mean another ten days on my land, which is pretty much exactly where I spend most of my time anyhow. Nutcracker, Pygmy Owl and Grey-headed Woodpecker around my cabin these last few days, not exactly torture if I have to endure a spell of isolation.

Last edited:
Why, don't you have any consumer protection there like we do?

I was told a refund wasn't possible, but I could use the money towards any other tickets I wanted as long as I flew before the end of February.

No chance in hell I will be vaccinated by then, so I don't see how I could use that money.

At least it was Panama, and not something like Australia or South Africa.

I know of two people now who had positive tests but no symptoms. Their partners tested negative so they went for second tests and suddenly were negative too.

If tests are giving false positives or false negatives in this way, then

A) the data we are getting is useless and is potentially making the spread worse
B) more relevant to this thread, I am desperate to get travelling again but fear a positive result, real or false, prior to flying.

I know of two people now who had positive tests but no symptoms. Their partners tested negative so they went for second tests and suddenly were negative too.

If tests are giving false positives or false negatives in this way, then

A) the data we are getting is useless and is potentially making the spread worse
B) more relevant to this thread, I am desperate to get travelling again but fear a positive result, real or false, prior to flying.

And don't forget, some countries are insisting on a second test on arrival. Some tests are known to give wrong results, 30% of the time and you'd be taking that chance twice.

1. Worst case, you don't get to board the plane

2. Absolute worst case, you test positive on arrival and spend 14 days in local quarantine then get presented with a nice fat, medical bill at the end of it!

Back to the original topic, some busineses will survive if they have low overheads and no, permanently contracted staff. What happens to those staff is another matter and will depend where they live.

I know a couple of companies who don't hold business premises but operate from an office at home so if they're not renting a premises, that's an immediate advantage and if they lay off their staff, (I presume that guides and tour leaders only get paid for the tours they do?) although income is lost, such a business could theoretically, pick up straight away when things open up, almost as if nothing had happened?

Further down the chain, I'd imagine that some lodges that depend solely, on bird or other eco tourism, may not survive. The other aspect is the lost income at ground level in poor countries, may mean that villages and individuals who had been 'converted', may be forced back to a life of hunting and subsistence farming but this is only my own, personal speculation.

I know that Birdtour Asia have a very robust, business model and have taken some steps to assist the people they use, locally which is to be applauded.

Are National Parks keeping on their staff? If there are job losses here, poaching then becomes a massive risk.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back