• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greenland (1 Viewer)

Bono

So I'm wondering what's up with Greenland? It's a massive island with a small human population... I'm thinking there must be tons of fascinating species there, and perhaps some new ones? Why is there relatively little interest in this island? Do you think that, given its size, it could harbour some new species? Perhaps even our "extinct" Labrador Duck or Great Auk?

Thanks,

The Great Auk isn't extinct, we just keep the small western Icelandic population very very quiet ;-).
Although much of it is very inaccessible I think the chances of new undiscovered species lurking on the uninhabited coasts of eastern Greenland are virtually zero. Brazil is a better bet for new species I'd think.

Greenland is certainly one of the places I'd most like to visit in the world and as it is the nearest neighbour to us here I should really have gone by now, but it's expensive to get there.
Seeing as the vast majority of the island is under ice and as it has such a northerly latitude (c. 59 deg to 83 deg N) there isn't great variety in terms of species but there is still much of ornithological interest: large numbers of breeding wader, auks etc. Many of the birds we see in Iceland are passing through to breed there (Barnacle Geese, White-fronted Geese) and we get plenty of visitors in the winter from Greenland (Snow Buntings). Occasionally, very occasionally, we get even bigger visitors, Polar Bears.

I've been birding in Iceland with a Greenlandic birder, had a good day and we found Iceland's sixth Sedge Warbler together. He told me birding in winter was EXTREMELY monotonous, Snow Buntings and Glaucous Gulls.

E

Edward said:
The Great Auk isn't extinct, we just keep the small western Icelandic population very very quiet ;-).
Although much of it is very inaccessible I think the chances of new undiscovered species lurking on the uninhabited coasts of eastern Greenland are virtually zero. Brazil is a better bet for new species I'd think.

Greenland is certainly one of the places I'd most like to visit in the world and as it is the nearest neighbour to us here I should really have gone by now, but it's expensive to get there.
Seeing as the vast majority of the island is under ice and as it has such a northerly latitude (c. 59 deg to 83 deg N) there isn't great variety in terms of species but there is still much of ornithological interest: large numbers of breeding wader, auks etc. Many of the birds we see in Iceland are passing through to breed there (Barnacle Geese, White-fronted Geese) and we get plenty of visitors in the winter from Greenland (Snow Buntings). Occasionally, very occasionally, we get even bigger visitors, Polar Bears.

I've been birding in Iceland with a Greenlandic birder, had a good day and we found Iceland's sixth Sedge Warbler together. He told me birding in winter was EXTREMELY monotonous, Snow Buntings and Glaucous Gulls.

E

Thanks. Great Answer!

I still wonder though... To me, it seems largely undiscovered. But, I guess your friend and yourself would no better than I... But, hey, you're speaking to the guy that hopes to find the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker somewhere in the woods of Quebec ;)

You guys get Polar Bears in Iceland? Wow!

I have another question, why is everyone's English so perfect. It seems that everybody that posts here, regardless of their country (and native language), speaks perfect english. I'd expect to see the occasional spelling/grammatical error, but No! What's up with that?

Bono said:
Thanks. Great Answer!

I still wonder though... To me, it seems largely undiscovered. But, I guess your friend and yourself would no better than I... But, hey, you're speaking to the guy that hopes to find the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker somewhere in the woods of Quebec ;)

You guys get Polar Bears in Iceland? Wow!

I have another question, why is everyone's English so perfect. It seems that everybody that posts here, regardless of their country (and native language), speaks perfect english. I'd expect to see the occasional spelling/grammatical error, but No! What's up with that?

Polar Bears are extremely rare visitors to Iceland from Greenland. The last one was in 1993. I remember reading about one which arrived in the north of Iceland in 1967, seen by children playing on the beach! The children rushed home and told their parents who didn't believe a word! Unfortunately, Polar Bears are extremely hungry when they arrive here and therefore more dangerous than ever and are shot on sight.

As for my English, I did spend the first 23 years or so of my life in England so it was a big help :) but you are right. Many of the people who don't speak English as a first language on these boards write better than the native speakers!

E

Bono said:
In Finland The bold & the beautiful tv series is sent undubbed, that's where we learn english ;)
The foreigners being active in here are the ones who can do it in english. People who cannot english stay in local native forums. Or outdoors, away of computers ;)

Bono said:
So I'm wondering what's up with Greenland?

I think one of the problems is the lack of true settlements thus, accomodation. The USAF has bases there and as I understand it, they are running the majority of services. This does not mean that visitors are not welcome as such but just that there is a big question as to how one would get there and where one would stay. Mind you, I would not mind roughing it for a few days just to have a look around.

Seriously though (ahem), I was looking through my north american field guide (which sort of covers Greenland), trying to see which species breed there, and could only find 7 passerines; Raven, Wheatear, Buff-bellied Pipit, Lapland & Snow Buntings & Common & Arctic Redpolls. I guess there might be some others, but it will still come out as an awfully small number!! I know Iceland also has a relatively small list, but what about Antarctica - does it have any breeding passerines? ( i can't think of anywhere for them to perch!)
James

Ian Peters said:
I think one of the problems is the lack of true settlements thus, accomodation. The USAF has bases there and as I understand it, they are running the majority of services. This does not mean that visitors are not welcome as such but just that there is a big question as to how one would get there and where one would stay. Mind you, I would not mind roughing it for a few days just to have a look around.

Hi Ian

you may be confusing Greenland with somewhere else in terms of settlement. Greenland has been settled permanently for THOUSANDS of years by the Inuit. It's a modern country, technically under Danish control, but with a strong degree of autonomy. So whilst the USAF have bases there, it is not running the services, the Danish government and Greenlandic authorities are doing so. Towns and villages are for the most part very modern and the standard of living is high and there is plenty of tourism in the west so accommodation is very much available. As for getting there then there are flights from Copenhagen to the west coast three times a week and from Reykjavík to remote east Greenland daily in summer. It's not cheap though!

E

James Lowther said:
Seriously though (ahem), I was looking through my north american field guide (which sort of covers Greenland), trying to see which species breed there, and could only find 7 passerines; Raven, Wheatear, Buff-bellied Pipit, Lapland & Snow Buntings & Common & Arctic Redpolls. I guess there might be some others, but it will still come out as an awfully small number!! I know Iceland also has a relatively small list, but what about Antarctica - does it have any breeding passerines? ( i can't think of anywhere for them to perch!)
James

Hi James
I think you can add Meadow Pipit and White Wagtail to that list as I believe there are small populations on the east coast. You're right in saying that Iceland does have a small breeding list (approximately 75 regular breeders) but we have got around 360 on our national list, more than Madagascar!

E

Edward said:
Hi Ian

you may be confusing Greenland with somewhere else in terms of settlement. Greenland has been settled permanently for THOUSANDS of years by the Inuit. It's a modern country, technically under Danish control, but with a strong degree of autonomy. So whilst the USAF have bases there, it is not running the services, the Danish government and Greenlandic authorities are doing so. Towns and villages are for the most part very modern and the standard of living is high and there is plenty of tourism in the west so accommodation is very much available. As for getting there then there are flights from Copenhagen to the west coast three times a week and from Reykjavík to remote east Greenland daily in summer. It's not cheap though!

E

Yeah, perhaps an over generalisation on my part but I did not know there was a scheduled airline service. I think it was possibly because I am not aware of any travel links from here in the UK but I DID know that Greenland has been colonised for thousands of years (then again, I do not remember saying otherwise so I think you may have misinterpreted my words ;) ). Anyway, have you any information about travel and tourism that you could share with the forums - I am sure a few people would be interested?

Ian Peters said:
Anyway, have you any information about travel and tourism that you could share with the forums - I am sure a few people would be interested?

Great, now everyone wants to steal my idea ;)

But seriously, Greenland's population is ~50,000 and it's a massive country. To me, it seems like there could be pretty much anything there... Is is literally covered by ice, am I missing something? Are there no forests, tundra?

Bono said:
Great, now everyone wants to steal my idea ;)

But seriously, Greenland's population is ~50,000 and it's a massive country. To me, it seems like there could be pretty much anything there... Is is literally covered by ice, am I missing something? Are there no forests, tundra?

I have to be honest that my knowledge is confined to various documentaries so I was happy to be corrected about the info I mentioned and I should have cosen at least one word more carefully. Hey, I could go an edit my original message - only joking! Humility, thy name is Ian. LOL

I am not sure about the biodiversity because I understand the Inuits have to carefully control their dietary intake due to the general lack of vegetation. They can (apparently) only pick up certain vitamins through eating such things as raw whale liver so this probably gives a general indication of the habitats (yikes, am I generalising again?). There is a lot of ice but there are some coastal areas that stay ice free although I am not sure about the interior a la Antarctica.

Hi Ian,

Sorry if I misinterpreted the "settlement" bit. It's just when you said "lack of true settlement" I had visions of people thinking that Greenlanders still live in igloos in winter and tents in the summer! I don't have any more info on travelling to Greenland off hand (except that you can fly daily from Reykjavik for an arm and a leg during the summer) but there's plenty of info on the net I'm sure. Just talking about it makes me want to go. A birding friend of mine here has just returned from a two week trip there, said it was magical but birds were thin on the ground, as expected.

Hi Bono,
Greenland is the most sparsely populated country in the world and there's a good reason for it. It IS mostly covered with ice (about 80%, compared with Iceland which is 11%). Take a look at any map and it'll show it quite clearly. I have only seen two species of bird on my trips to Icelandic ice caps (about 1,400 metres in elevation), Raven and Snow Bunting, both flyovers, there's nothing for them on the ice. Ditto Greenland. There will be restricted areas of tundra in coastal areas but no forests to speak of I wouldn't think. I'm sure there are many similarities betwen Greenland and Baffin Island. You've still got a couple of months of summer to get up there and report back to us :)

Someone on BF must have been to Greenland?

E

Edward said:
Hi Ian,

Sorry if I misinterpreted the "settlement" bit. It's just when you said "lack of true settlement" I had visions of people thinking that Greenlanders still live in igloos in winter and tents in the summer! I don't have any more info on travelling to Greenland off hand (except that you can fly daily from Reykjavik for an arm and a leg during the summer) but there's plenty of info on the net I'm sure. Just talking about it makes me want to go. A birding friend of mine here has just returned from a two week trip there, said it was magical but birds were thin on the ground, as expected.

E

No problem Edward. The comment was deliberate on my part but I was thinking more of wooden structures as opposed to bricks and mortar but I did not make that clear. I must try harder to think about the wording. I was not aware of holiday facilities and us southern Europeans (LOL) might find the conditions a bit harsh for our liking.

I've been to Greenland and as mentioned by someone else it is actually considered a part of Denmark. Anyone who claims Greenland is unsettled will find the towns like Nuuk weird. There are schools (as in Denmark 9 years is absolute minimum in school), discoteques and supermarkets - not at all unsettled or uncivilized! Most of the north and all of the center (probably around 80% of the island) is covered by ice even in the summer. Virtually no animals live in this region as no water is ice-free and no plants grow. The south and many of the fiords (not sure if that is an English word) are ice-free at least in the summer. Even this part is too cold for most trees and the few that are there grow to no more than 2-3 meters in height. This is also the region where people live. The fauna and flora of Greenland is wellknown and not very diverse. There are relatively few tourists that go there as the plane-tickets are very expensive and the nature very similar to what can be seen in norther Scandinavia or northen Canada/Alaska. I don't know if there are any connections from North America but there are several a week from Denmark. If the price is no problem then Greenland present very few problems for a tourist. It certainly is recommendable. The grandness of the nature is the main reason to go there as they have very few other attractions.

Last edited:
I saw a fairly good size plane from Greenland in Reykjavik airport. It seems the Greenlanders go there for shopping, maybe entertainment. The connections from there to Europe are good, mostly Copenhagen.

Karwin said:
Does Greenland then belong to European Union? Physically it is a part of North America...
Hi Karwin,

No, it doesn't, though I think it has some sort of associate status

On the subject of birding in Greenland, it ought to be good, but isn't, because hunting was, and maybe still is, completely uncontrolled and highly excessive. Most of the once-huge seabird colonies are close to wiped out. A new set of bird protection laws were brought in recently (following a lot of international pressure, mainly from Denmark), but policing them is going to be another matter altogether.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back