• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kay Optical problem (1 Viewer)

jascha777

Hi all, never had a problem with them before, BUT, I sent my Kowa 25-60 800 series zoom for a repair estimate on the 22 nd of june, and cant now get in touch with them? not returning e-mails , phone number just going to what seems like a private message. Just wondering if anyone has had any contact with them in the last couple of weeks.. if they were away , surely there would be s more official sounding message... very strange, and starting to worry Ive just thrown £650 away. many thanks in advance. Mark

Kay Optical Problem

Hi jascha777

I've used Kay Optical in the past and they were fine. Recently I've had a similar problem to you though - I sent them a pair of Leica binoculars for a service over a month ago - they confirmed receipt but since then they haven't responded to any emails or phone calls. I'm a bit worried I've lost the binoculars. My next step will be sending them a letter, then it might have to be the small claims court.

Kay were the suppliers of my Optolyth 30x75 scope, and Swarovski Habicht 10x40s. But that was in the late 80s and early 90s. I'm afraid things have gone downhill since the original proprietor, Tony Kay, handed the business down. If he reads this, the guy currently running the show is not going to like it, but here goes. Five or six years ago at a field day, my very elderly Mum handed him her perfectly decent Opticrons for collimation and whatever else might need doing. In short, after prevaricating for week and weeks, it transpired he'd simply lost them. My late father demanded he provide decent replacement bins, but the ones which he unfortunately accepted on Mum's behalf are cheap tat and bloody awful. Now she's in residential care, though thankfully lucid (and interested in birds) and it's no longer practical to get him to do the right thing. Also, when I recommended him to a friend wanting to buy a scope a few years ago, and without going into detail, the whole experience was not a good one. I feel lousy about having recommended Kay.

I hope you guys get some satisfaction, but I'd never go near them again. I can only suggest you keep up the pressure and take no nonsense. I don't know if In Focus are still in business, but if so I'd recommend them over Kay every time.

Last edited:
Hi Mark, et al.
That's the same problem I've had. HOWEVER, not to get you worried, my problem goes back several years. OK, it's partly my fault for not chasing it up constantly but after numerous e-mails, phone calls and wasted journeys to the shop only to find it closed (when it ought to be open), I've almost given up hope of ever seeing my Leica again. I'll try one last time and then it's down the legal route. The story wasn't much better with my Nikon binoculars, which were returned with the centre column tightened (as requested) - but I later discovered that the rubber armour had been damaged. I was already thoroughly cheesed off with him so I repaired them myself with Sugru.
Over the years I've recommended them to a lot of people but never again!
As far as I'm aware, it's still Tony.
Martin
ps this isn't the only thread with similar complaints about the company

Last edited:
Hi Mark, et al.
As far as I'm aware, it's still Tony.
Martin
ps this isn't the only thread with similar complaints about the company
Hi Martin. It may well be that the current guy is also called Tony... certainly he's not the one we still refer to as "The original Mr Kay" who was a very decent bloke. When I traded in my Optolyths for Habicht in 1990, he gave me £100 for them which was certainly more than expected. Anyway, regardless of names, I'm not surprised to learn there have been other complaints in recent years.

Cheers

John

Hi John
I believe some people do still get good deals but as a business - it leaves a lot to be desired. Plus the shop itself is a nightmare - a complete shambles and probably a health/fire risk.
With so many people complaining he must also be seriously in debt to other manufacturers, repairers and possibly suppliers. I went to him because I'd bought both the bins and the scope from him and he claims on his adverts that he can repair all makes in his workshop - but mine were sent to the manufacturers without even asking if this was OK.
Best wishes
Martin

Last edited:
I'm just wondering whether those birders having trouble contacting Kay Optical should perhaps seek information via Optrep Optical repairs at Selsey. This business is still operating under the directorship of a Mr Antony L Kay, possibly the original Mr Kay referred to by John.

Dave W

I'm just wondering whether those birders having trouble contacting Kay Optical should perhaps seek information via Optrep Optical repairs at Selsey. This business is still operating under the directorship of a Mr Antony L Kay, possibly the original Mr Kay referred to by John.

Dave W
Thanks Dave.Just searched for them and their site is:

http://www.opticalrepairs.com/

It indeed says "The Technical Director of Optrep, Tony Kay, is a trained engineer. Questions are often asked as to his origin and so this very brief CV is given: Academic work at Wimbledon Technical College was followed by a five-year apprenticeship in instrument making and then three years in the designing of heavy steelworks machines. He began working on optical instruments in 1960 and then, in 1962, he launched his own company, Kay Optical Servicing at Morden in south London."

I don't how much influence (if any) he might be willing and able to bring to bear on the current proprietor. He'd probably say he isn't involved any more, but it could be worth a shot.

Last edited:
hello again, many thanks for the replies, and Im very sorry to hear of other peoples problems . Fortunately for me they were unsble to deliver it and the post office are holding my eyepiece and will return it to me , so seem to have dodged a bullit there! but please avoid this once very highly thought of business at all costs now if you value your gear. Mark

Last edited:
Kay Optical

Hi all, never had a problem with them before, BUT, I sent my Kowa 25-60 800 series zoom for a repair estimate on the 22 nd of june, and cant now get in touch with them? not returning e-mails , phone number just going to what seems like a private message. Just wondering if anyone has had any contact with them in the last couple of weeks.. if they were away , surely there would be s more official sounding message... very strange, and starting to worry Ive just thrown £650 away. many thanks in advance. Mark

I have known Tony, the owner of Kay Optical for over 20 years both as a customer, and personally, and have bought all of my optics from there as the service has always been excellent, and the pricing and deals offered were always spot on.

However for the last few years Tony has had some serious health issues, and tbh the business and service have suffered: Stocks have been poor, despatch times have been poor and mistakes have been made. I have always given him the benefit of the doubt because I knew that his health issues were quite serious and kept dealing with him though.

However even as a very longstanding customer and friend, my patience has been tested - to the limit earlier this year when the purchase of a Swarovski scope, eyepiece and SOC resulted in me being supplied a loan SOC for a "week or two" (as he was out of stock), that 7 months later has not been replaced and all of my efforts to contact Tony (including texts to his personal mobile) have failed.

Reading between the lines of various conversations that we have had over the last year or two, I thought that he was perhaps winding the business down - which he assured me that he was not, however my inability to contact him even at a personal level since earlier this year, the fact that the shop is never open, and the website has not been updated since 2014 tells a different story.

Deliveries go to a Chinese restaurant underneath his shop so any missing / lost items may well be there.

I believe that Optrep Optical Repairs in Selsey, Sussex may well be run by his father (and that is where Tony sent some of his repairs anyway) so you might want to try contacting them?

The current owner - Tony Kay - bought the business from his father - also called Tony Kay - about 20 years ago.

I tried to track Tony down by various methods earlier this year (other than directly) - I spoke to Swarovski in February who advised that he was still trading with them, and he was still attending his Field Days back in January, but I have not actually managed to catch up with Tony.

His home address can easily be found on Google, but no accounts have been filed for a long time and with contact seemingly impossible I think that - for the time being at least - he is not in business.

BTW: As a webmaster of a internet business I find it frustrating that he has not updated his website and voicemail if he is too ill to trade / out of business - doing so would take minutes and would save many people (myself included) a lot of wasted time & hassle.

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks for that info.
I've also heard that he has health problems (as have I - and I believe I have the same problem) but I've also been told that he spends most of his time either fishing or playing on-line computer games!
I had previously contacted Leica about my scope and they were helpful but could not offer direct assistance as he was not a main agent, although they did say that they had a scope matching my description and told me that they were awaiting payment. So my scope may still be in Germany!
This is worrying and from what you say a legal route may now be the only answer.
Martin

Hello all and just to add my recent experience with Kay Optical ....

I used Kay Optical many years ago for a repair to my binoculars at the time and from my vague recollection I encountered no issues. Therefore I had no reason not to approach them again in respect of a repair to my telescope, nor did I think to look for any customer feedback on BirdForum or elsewhere on the Internet.

After a delay in replying to my initial e-mail enquiring about a repair assessment for my Nikon ED82 telescope (warning lights should have flashed then!), I eventually met with presumably Tony on 18th July 2015 at his Morden premises.

We had a discussion about the evident damage to my telescope, the repairs that may be required, the estimated costs and the likely timescale.

I asked him provide me with an assessment of what work is required to my telescope and the costs and to confirm this to me before proceeding further. I provided him with written details of my full name, my home address, 2 phone numbers and an e-mail address.

Ten days passed and since I heard nothing more at all, I e-mailed him on 28th July 2015 asking for an update. I received no response.

I began to have concerns regarding this situation and belatedly I found this discussion thread and others on BirdForum. That increased my concern substantially .... now there are definite flashing warning lights!

I therefore e-mailed Kay Optical again early on 1st August 2015 (Saturday) using both the “info” and “complaint” e-mail addresses and expressing my disappointment that I have still not received any assessment of what work is required to my telescope and the costs.

I gave Kay Optical until 5 p.m. on Monday 3rd August 2015 (today) to provide an update or alternatively a date and time when I can collect my telescope.

Given that I am doubtful that I will receive any response, I have already drafted my follow up e-mail (which I will also send by post recorded delivery) confirming that I will be referring the matter to the police and seeking legal advice.

I sincerely hope that this is a case of absentmindedness rather than fraud and theft although even the former constitutes appalling customer service.

I need a telescope for an upcoming trip to Scotland in early September although I am not confident at all that I will have one unless this issue is resolved promptly. Does anyone know if you can rent/hire a telescope for a short period as you can for photographic equipment?

Richard

Kay Optical

Hello all and just to add my recent experience with Kay Optical ....

I used Kay Optical many years ago for a repair to my binoculars at the time and from my vague recollection I encountered no issues. Therefore I had no reason not to approach them again in respect of a repair to my telescope, nor did I think to look for any customer feedback on BirdForum or elsewhere on the Internet.

After a delay in replying to my initial e-mail enquiring about a repair assessment for my Nikon ED82 telescope (warning lights should have flashed then!), I eventually met with presumably Tony on 18th July 2015 at his Morden premises.

We had a discussion about the evident damage to my telescope, the repairs that may be required, the estimated costs and the likely timescale.

I asked him provide me with an assessment of what work is required to my telescope and the costs and to confirm this to me before proceeding further. I provided him with written details of my full name, my home address, 2 phone numbers and an e-mail address.

Ten days passed and since I heard nothing more at all, I e-mailed him on 28th July 2015 asking for an update. I received no response.

I began to have concerns regarding this situation and belatedly I found this discussion thread and others on BirdForum. That increased my concern substantially .... now there are definite flashing warning lights!

I therefore e-mailed Kay Optical again early on 1st August 2015 (Saturday) using both the “info” and “complaint” e-mail addresses and expressing my disappointment that I have still not received any assessment of what work is required to my telescope and the costs.

I gave Kay Optical until 5 p.m. on Monday 3rd August 2015 (today) to provide an update or alternatively a date and time when I can collect my telescope.

Given that I am doubtful that I will receive any response, I have already drafted my follow up e-mail (which I will also send by post recorded delivery) confirming that I will be referring the matter to the police and seeking legal advice.

I sincerely hope that this is a case of absentmindedness rather than fraud and theft although even the former constitutes appalling customer service.

I need a telescope for an upcoming trip to Scotland in early September although I am not confident at all that I will have one unless this issue is resolved promptly. Does anyone know if you can rent/hire a telescope for a short period as you can for photographic equipment?

Richard

If you pm me I have his personal mobile - you might get him on that?

His home address is easily found online - its where the business is registered if you want it for legal purposes.

I'm not sure what is going on with Kay Optical these days - it pains me as a former customer of over 20 years (Half my lifetime) that he is handling his business & customers this way.....We deserve better.

I also note that Kay Optical no longer seem to be advertising: There have not been any ads in BB or Birdwatch for a while now.

Unfortunately once a website / historical details are online they stay there, to all intents & purposes, forever so his website & history will keep attracting unsuspecting customers.

If you pm me I have his personal mobile - you might get him on that?

His home address is easily found online - its where the business is registered if you want it for legal purposes.

I'm not sure what is going on with Kay Optical these days - it pains me as a former customer of over 20 years (Half my lifetime) that he is handling his business & customers this way.....We deserve better.

Cheers birder34 .... I will PM you for his mobile number .... the more contact details the better.

Having checked the Companies House website, I already have the registered business address although I was not aware that this was also his home address. The Companies House information hardly inspires confidence that this is a thriving business.

As I expected, I am still waiting for a response to my e-mail on Saturday. I will try phoning him later this afternoon but it does look like my "final warning" recorded delivery letter will be winging its way to him tomorrow.

If he has health problems and is winding the business down then I sympathise but if that is genuinely the case then he should not be taking on new business. When I met him on 18th July (I assume that it was Tony) he did not appear ill and he said he was in the middle of moving the business to new premises. I am not sure what that suggests.

Richard

Kay Optical

Cheers birder34 .... I will PM you for his mobile number .... the more contact details the better.

Having checked the Companies House website, I already have the registered business address although I was not aware that this was also his home address. The Companies House information hardly inspires confidence that this is a thriving business.

As I expected, I am still waiting for a response to my e-mail on Saturday. I will try phoning him later this afternoon but it does look like my "final warning" recorded delivery letter will be winging its way to him tomorrow.

If he has health problems and is winding the business down then I sympathise but if that is genuinely the case then he should not be taking on new business. When I met him on 18th July (I assume that it was Tony) he did not appear ill and he said he was in the middle of moving the business to new premises. I am not sure what that suggests.

Richard

Hi Richard

He has been talking about moving the business for the last two or three years - and the new premises are at his house: As a lot of his business is / was either from the Field Days or online he was looking to move out of the (presumably expensive) premises at Morden and then trade from home with customers able to call in by appointment.

He has not (according to my online searches) filed accounts for a while, and as far as I can tell he as not updated his website since November 2014: Hardly the sign of a thriving business.

An update on my problem with Kay Optical ....

My thanks again to birder34 for providing me with the personal mobile number for Tony at Kay Optical.

I never got to speak to Tony since all my calls went to voicemail and a message stating that the inbox was full.

I therefore sent a text message expressing my dissatisfaction at his failure to respond to my e-mails requesting an update on the repair assessment for my telescope. I insisted that I wished to collect my telescope and warned that I was considering further action if this was not arranged immediately.

I duly received a reply via text message and, after a series of subsequent to and fro text messages with Tony asking several questions for which answers had already been provided to him and me having to chase him up on 4 occasions, it was agreed that I could call at Kay Optical’s premises in Morden on Saturday (last) to collect my telescope.

I duly travelled up to London not at all confident that (a) Tony would be there and (b) I could collect my telescope without some further problem such as a demand for a handling charge.

To my surprise, and relief after an extremely frustrating 3 weeks, Tony was at the Morden premises on Saturday morning as agreed and within 5 minutes I was on my way having safely got my hands on my telescope again with no charges. However, no explanation or apology was provided for the lack of action and communication. All I got was a complaint about how busy he was moving premises.

After a trip across London, my telescope is now with In Focus at WWT London Wetland Centre who will be arranging a repair assessment and providing me with an estimated cost.

The Kay Optical website states: “Unrivalled expertise, experience and service”. Something has gone badly wrong given my experience of extremely poor (non-existent) customer service and indeed that of others as documented in this thread and other BF threads.

I will certainly not be using Kay Optical again and my recommendation to others is to avoid this company.

Richard

An update to my problem,unfortunately He picked my eyepiece up on the last day possible, his voicebox full, DAD not been any help, be very grateful forhis number as I'm starting to feel I've flushed £650 down the toilet just dont know what to do. Very sorry if he's been ill, but so am I, and I'm not going to recover-too much now. many thanks. Mark

Richard - I am glad that your issue has been resolved!

Further to this thread I have been contacted by two other birders from birdforum experiencing similar issues, and I have been able to help them with contact details for Tony of Kay Optical as well: I don't know how they have got on, but I wish them every success.

I feel very disappointed that so many of you have had such a struggle to resolve these issues, and am very disappointed that there seems to be no effort by Kay Optical to acknowledge these issues publicly & apologise, or to even put information on his website advising that he is in the "process of moving " (which seems to have been going on for a year now).

I suspect that once he has "moved" and resumes advertising in mags like Birdwatch again, and revises his website (which is still showing Field Days for 2014) that he finds that his reputation is in tatters and prudent birders sensibly avoid a business that is run in such an unprofessional fashion - especially when there are businesses such as Cley Spy, South West Optics & Ace Optics (amongst a number of others) that are run by birders and treat us as customers courteously, promptly & professionally.

Good morning - has anyone got any updated information about how to get back items left for repair at the Morden premises? I left my Zeiss binoculars on 15th July, the place was in chaos (so I should not have left them, of course!) as the man, who said he was Tony, told me he was moving.

He gave me an address which I have deciphered as 55 Chertsey Drive, Sutton, Surrey.

The address I find on Google for Kay Optical is: Kay Optical Limited
Dalton House 9 Dalton Square, Lancaster, LA1 1WD

What address are folk on this thread thinking is the correct one?

One of the 30 or so times that I have phoned the voice message gave me a mobile number 07785717793. I have had no replies to texts or messages left on that. Is this the number you received a reply from, rlchew?

I am planning on going to the address in Sutton soon. Maybe I'll get a clue what's going on then.

If any of you have any comments or advice to help me get my binoculars back I would appreciate it! Many thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back