• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where's best in Lake District? (1 Viewer)

2520years

Lurking in the bushes is wrong.
Hi all.

I'm going to the Lake District in late February. We're staying near Keswick, which is in the North Lakes. I'm only realistically going to be let out once to watch the birds...so where would you recommend? I'm a beginner so it doesn't have to be anywhere too remote. St Bees sounds good, but it's quite far. If I could go somewhere that my wife and daughter would enjoy, it might be best, but I can leave them at the cottage if necessary.
;)
Where would you recommend?

Thanks.

Just an addition to the above...I've heard it can be a bit steep and muddy in St Bees, so would it be okay in Winter? Would I be at risk of losing my family into the sea?

We visit the Lake District quite often for day trips, weekends and staying a week sometimes. Last year we stayed for a week in a cottage at Brackenrigg Barn 3 miles south of Keswick on the road to Thirlmere and Grassmere - which proved handy as it had it's own little wood/nature reserve only for guests.

Other than that I don't find it a great birding area at least in Summer. We tend not to go there winter time.

The places that spring to mind are RSPB Leighton Moss to the south, Walney Island to the south west (we did it on a day trip) and RSPB Campfield Marsh to the north - which should be good for waders and Geese.

Other than that the likes of Dodd Fell where the Osprey watch point is in summer should be good for tree species such as Siskin and Crossbill, likewise the area around Grisedale Forest. St.Johns in the Vale and Thirlmere area should hold Buzzard - they do in spring and summer. Thirlmere can hold some good birds in the trees. There are a couple of stop off points with paths off the minor road that runs down the west side. The main road down the east side has some good views over the lake as well for geese and ducks.

There is a bird hide at the southern end of Bassenthwaite as well. A walk down alongside Derwentwater from the boat landings at Keswick is an easy walk which the family may enjoy as well. It's easy going and usually has plenty of birds in the trres and on the water. Quite a few geese are usually around as well.

Thanks for those replies. We'll definitely try to do the walk by Derwent Water near Keswick. Maybe I'll drop of the family in Carlisle while I do RSPB Campfield Marsh.

I'm looking forward to it now!

Bassenthwaite could be worth a look, or Campfield. In February St Bees might not really have got going unless you are into seawatching.

It is a little further away but Hodbarrow RSPB can be quite good in winter, has had Smew and Green-winged Teal in recent years.

Stephen.

Thanks,Stephen,i'm glad you mentioned Hodbarrow.I saw this thread last night,but as we are so out of the way as it were ,did not reply.But I have been out today and I have seen masses of birds.Widgeon,Golden Plovers,Kingfisher,Golden Eye,Eiders,Pochard,Teal,Gadwall,Red Breasted Merganser,and our resident Redshanks,Cormorants,Dunlin etc.So,Hodbarrow is well worth a visit,but it is the luck of the draw as to what one can see.Oh,I forgot,2 seals.
Yes,Our Snow Goose is still here,mixing in with the Greylag,and Canada Geese.Our fields are full of Lapwings,and Oystercatchers.Not to mention the Stonechats and Kestrels.We also have a pair of Ravens.

Last edited:
Bassenthwaite's quite close to where we're going. I might be able to take my family on a 'walk by the lake', then be pleasantly surprised when there are birds to see!
lol

Well, in my amateurish way, I spotted 37 species during the course of the week. My lifers were Oystercatchers, Rooks and Treecreepers. Notable absentees included sparrows.

Dodd Fell was good because there were plenty of Red Squirrels, but I was outside Osprey season so I only saw tits and finches really at the feeding stations.

The hide on Bassenthwaite lake was really hard to find, and although it was a nice hide, the only bird I saw was tufted ducks.

The walk by Derwent Water was good. I saw Song Thrush, Sparrowhawks, Oystercatchers etc. there.

St Bees Head was a very tough, bracing walk, but I only saw Herring Gulls and a dark duck(?) flying around I couldn't identify. In future I'll start from the lighthouse end as I didn't have time to make it to the RSPB hide from the beach end.

My biggest disappointment was I didn't make it to the RSPB sites near Millom. There's always another day.

Leighton Moss RSPB reserve is a superb way to see great birds from the hides, the family may enjoy it too. Marsh harriers, possibly Bittern in flight, plus close ups of many ducks etc.
Also of note is haweswater reservoir, where Englands only remaining Golden eagle can be seen quite reliably. It is apparently still maintaining a lonely vigil, hope other scan updat eyou. It necessitates a 30 minute walk around the end of the reservoir from the car park to a manned viewpoint across a few fields (if it is operation in Feb). I would not go afternoon from recollection as the sun angle is dreadful. Problem is, if you do not see it, there aint a lot else to see there but it is a lovely place.

I plan to drag the family to Leighton Moss when the weather improves.

I did go to the resevoir car park (on my own), but didn't know I had to walk another 30 minutes from there! I'd have done it even though it was getting late. It's an eerie place because the other side of the resevoir is so barren. I waited at the Haweswater Hotel car park with my binoculars for a while, but only saw black-headed gulls.

Haweswater's not as barren as all that (although I've never been in Feb). It's defintiely worth a visit in spring/ early summer, even if the eagle isn't performing on cue. Last May we saw ring ouzel, redstart, spotted flycatcher, peregrine and sparrrowhawk while we were waitng for the goldie. There's usually an RSPB man in a little hut who can tell you whats about. Well worth the hike.

I'm going to have to return without my family. Does anyone know when the Ospreys turn up? Also, when do St. Bees and other places become most active? I fancy going in the Spring.

Hodbarrow

I'm new to the forum, fairly new to birdwatching, and have just returned from the Lake District where I visited Hodbarrow - Monday 15 May.

I was suprised to see what looked like a Snow Goose so late in the year, but happened to pick up on your post from last December, and wondered if you could confirm what I saw? You appear to know Hodbarrow well.

Thanks.

christineredgate said:
Thanks,Stephen,i'm glad you mentioned Hodbarrow.I saw this thread last night,but as we are so out of the way as it were ,did not reply.But I have been out today and I have seen masses of birds.Widgeon,Golden Plovers,Kingfisher,Golden Eye,Eiders,Pochard,Teal,Gadwall,Red Breasted Merganser,and our resident Redshanks,Cormorants,Dunlin etc.So,Hodbarrow is well worth a visit,but it is the luck of the draw as to what one can see.Oh,I forgot,2 seals.
Yes,Our Snow Goose is still here,mixing in with the Greylag,and Canada Geese.Our fields are full of Lapwings,and Oystercatchers.Not to mention the Stonechats and Kestrels.We also have a pair of Ravens.

hirundorustica said:
I'm new to the forum, fairly new to birdwatching, and have just returned from the Lake District where I visited Hodbarrow - Monday 15 May.

I was suprised to see what looked like a Snow Goose so late in the year, but happened to pick up on your post from last December, and wondered if you could confirm what I saw? You appear to know Hodbarrow well.

Thanks.
Yes ,we do have resident Snow Goose.I say resident,he/she appears on and off.It mixes with a group of Greylags.Approx 2 yrs ago there were 2 of these birds,but for the last couple of years only one.Somewhere in the Gallery I have posted an image.
Hope you enjoyed watching the Terns,and also the Grt Crested Grebes who are nesting in front of the hide.Just hope they have not had their nest washed away by this awful weather we are having at the moment.

I've been given a two-day pass by my family to go birding! I'm being made redundant on August 11th, so I'm planning to go 15-16th August.

I've got a plan, but I'm not sure how practical it is, or whether there's a better way of spending my time. Perhaps anyone who knows the area might be able to suggest improvements to my schedule. Do you think I'm doing too much to enjoy it?

This is my plan:

15th
Up early in Warrington (home) go to Marton Mere in Blackpool before the rush hour.
From Marton Mere go to Hodbarrow (Hodbarrow's a definite).
From Hodbarrow go to St Bees Head.
Stay in a hotel - I've seen one overlooking Bassenthwaite Lake, but that might be too much travelling for one day?

16th
Check out hide at Bassenthwaite Lake and maybe pop up Dodd Fell if the Ospreys are still about?
Drive to see Golden Eagle at Haweswater Resevoir.
Leighton Moss on the way home.

I know I've asked quite a few questions there, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

Hodbarrow has a good range of birds but is only a quick stop, 30 -45 mins tops. You can park outside the hide and from there you can see everything.

St. Bees is pretty, a nice walk, lots of small stuff in the cliff top fields. There should be some seabirds still around.

Bassenthwaite: with luck the ospreys should still be there.

Haweswater can be a bit of pot luck but the staff at the watching station know all the fave spots.

Leighton Moss is worth spending a full afternoon. The bitterns should have fledged and the marsh harriers should still be there. It has been a good year for the beardies so with a bit of luck. Don't forget to visit the saltmarsh hides, about a mile away, the avocets have gone already but you get a good range of waders. If the tide is in it is worth walking over to Jenny Brown's Point and looking across at the waders.

There are lots of little local spots but the hassle of finding them isn't likely to pay off.

Hope this helps

Mono (Kendal Resident)

If you come to Blackpool early enough I can meet you at Starr Gate for seabirds if the weather is good enough, not sure what the tide is that day though. PM me if interested.

Stephen.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back