Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

2018 Orchid Thread

Old Wednesday 22nd August 2018, 07:01   #76
Bodhyfryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by muba View Post
No-one is really sure how a small colony of a hybrid between Ophrys scolopax (the Woodcock Orchid) and O. insectifera came to be growing on a Dorset roadside. The foreign parent plant has not been seen there. The explanation I find most plausible is that when the road was re-aligned a few years ago it was seeded with a foreign mix of wildflower seen, or that foreign top soil was used.
Jon Dunn gives some serious thought to such introductions in his book Orchid Summer. I never got to see the O. tenthedrinifera at Durleston - it didn't flower last year when I visited there, but that one is looking increasing likely as a deliberate introduction. O. bertilonii was seen there in '76.
Very interesting. I just wanted to say how grateful Elaine and I have been for your "highlights" contribution to this forum. It has definitely added a valuable dimension this year. I hope that 2018 will not mark the demise of Birdforum, but if it does we at least have a worthwhile record of some interesting finds and reflections from you. Incidentally, while out blackberrying (fruits not phones!) with the grandchildren last week, we found a (to us) new and more extensive BLH site (all well over of course, but distinctly identifiable) in the Tanyfron area. I'll PM you the details for your interest.

Martin
Old Wednesday 22nd August 2018, 07:04   #77
Bodhyfryd

Quote:
No-one is really sure how a small colony of a hybrid between Ophrys scolopax (the Woodcock Orchid) and O. insectifera came to be growing on a Dorset roadside. The foreign parent plant has not been seen there. The explanation I find most plausible is that when the road was re-aligned a few years ago it was seeded with a foreign mix of wildflower seen, or that foreign top soil was used.
Jon Dunn gives some serious thought to such introductions in his book Orchid Summer. I never got to see the O. tenthedrinifera at Durleston - it didn't flower last year when I visited there, but that one is looking increasing likely as a deliberate introduction. O. bertilonii was seen there in '76.
Interestingly we obtained John Dun's book earlier this year; Elaine has read it and it is on my reading list. Last winter we read and enjoyed Leif's account of his gap year : "Orchid Hunter".
Old Thursday 23rd August 2018, 16:51   #78
muba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhyfryd View Post
That is most interesting. I feared that after this summer numbers might actually be reduced. If we possibly can go we will seek to do so. We went a few years ago and counted around 100 on the main hill, so it will be interesting to get some sense of what has happened this year.
We saw about 100 on Great Orme, about 50 on Little Orme, and saved the best to last. Go over the stile, up the hill at the Y Gop signpost, and when you emerge from the gorse just stand and Behold! There must be over 10,000 ALTs out there on slopes where we've never seen them before
Just watch where you tread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ALT3.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	671843  
Old Sunday 26th August 2018, 09:56   #79
muba

Hihlights of my year #6

I nearly forgot to mention Eades Meadow near Droitwich back in May. This is a premier flower meadow absolutely full of Green-winged Orchids at the time of year. Paths are mowed and gates unlocked when the orchids flower. Count them in tens of thousands! We even bumped into 3 generations whose name was Eades and may have descended from the C18 chap that gave the field his name. That rounds off a visit so well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	eades2018gwo1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	672076  Click image for larger version

Name:	eades2018gwo3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	672077  Click image for larger version

Name:	eades2018gwo5.jpg
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	672078  Click image for larger version

Name:	eades2018gwo9.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	672079  
Old Monday 27th August 2018, 14:44   #80
ladybee

So pleased this thread is still going, although l haven't contributed as, sadly, l haven't had a very good orchid year. I got off to a good start in Mallorca, although it was quantity rather than number of species. On a previous visit orchids were in short supply, this time l was falling over them. I hope the thread is here next year and I'll be able to post.
Old Monday 27th August 2018, 15:52   #81
muba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybee View Post
So pleased this thread is still going, although l haven't contributed as, sadly, l haven't had a very good orchid year. I got off to a good start in Mallorca, although it was quantity rather than number of species. On a previous visit orchids were in short supply, this time l was falling over them. I hope the thread is here next year and I'll be able to post.
Not too late to show us some photos.

Last edited by muba : Monday 27th August 2018 at 16:44.
Old Tuesday 28th August 2018, 10:29   #82
Acid John

Muba your directions were excellent. Just having a little difficulty shrinking the files to upload.
Old Tuesday 28th August 2018, 11:11   #83
Acid John

Y Gop

Try again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0323.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	672321  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0322.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	672322  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0316.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	672323  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0312.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	681.2 KB
ID:	672324  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0302.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	672325  

Old Tuesday 28th August 2018, 20:28   #84
muba

Love the group of five with rosettes even if they are not in flower yet
Old Tuesday 28th August 2018, 22:44   #85
Acid John

That was on the very top where I did not expect to find anything.
Old Thursday 30th August 2018, 17:23   #86
Troubador

Hi Guys has any of you got a photo giving a good impression of the vastness of the numbers of ALTs at this site? If so would you kindly post it up. We have an old family friend who loves wild orchids and she has been thrilled to hear the news of them at Great Orme and we would love her to be able to see a pic of them. Thanks.

Lee
Old Thursday 30th August 2018, 17:39   #87
muba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Hi Guys has any of you got a photo giving a good impression of the vastness of the numbers of ALTs at this site? If so would you kindly post it up. We have an old family friend who loves wild orchids and she has been thrilled to hear the news of them at Great Orme and we would love her to be able to see a pic of them. Thanks.

Lee
Great Orme wasn't the best site. I saw perhaps a hundred on the path leading from West Beach up to the old gardens overlooking the town. The first pic shows the terrain from the path, rather than ALTS. At Gop Hill which has a stile to climb and a steeper hill there are thousands, a few to be seen on second pic.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	orme2018.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	672538  Click image for larger version

Name:	gop2018alt2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	441.4 KB
ID:	672539  
Old Friday 31st August 2018, 13:05   #88
Troubador

Quote:
Great Orme wasn't the best site. I saw perhaps a hundred on the path leading from West Beach up to the old gardens overlooking the town. The first pic shows the terrain from the path, rather than ALTS. At Gop Hill which has a stile to climb and a steeper hill there are thousands, a few to be seen on second pic.

Good luck
Many thanks for these!

Lee
Old Saturday 1st September 2018, 09:17   #89
muba

Highlights of my year #7

Talacre Dunes in the north east corner of Wales hosts a fantastic display of Dactylorhiza at the end of May and beginning of June. There is an overlapping succession of D. incarnata coccinea, D. incarnata incarnata and D. purpurella. You also find some pesky hybrids, but here they add to the variety. Well worth a visit for other species too.

I am currently serially re-reading John Haggar's seven articles about D. incarnata in the JHOS, which had the last one published this month after a hiatus of 10 years. Apart from his central message that if it is a purple flowered D. incarnata and it does not grow in acid bog conditions it is not Var. pulchella - it is a purple flowered D. incarnata which is the usual and nominate form from Scandinavia. We may be putting to much emphasis on the different coloured types being sub-species when in fact they are forms, and possibly eco-types.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tal2018coc2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	672719  Click image for larger version

Name:	tal2018inc2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	672720  Click image for larger version

Name:	tal2018nmo2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	672721  

Last edited by muba : Saturday 1st September 2018 at 09:30.
Old Wednesday 5th September 2018, 17:25   #90
muba

Highlights of my year #8

I had always known that Greater Butterfly Orchids grew at Llynllys near Oswestry, but it was always a couple here and a few there. Last year though we came across a area where we hadn't trod before. There were GBOs galore, but this was beyond their flowering period. So it was back there at the begining of June and it was quite a display - not hundreds but enough to have you having to decide which one to photogrpah next.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	llyn2018gbo2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	673319  Click image for larger version

Name:	llyn2018gbo3.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	673320  Click image for larger version

Name:	llyn2018gbo4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	673321  Click image for larger version

Name:	llyn2018gbo5.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	673322  
Old Sunday 9th September 2018, 18:34   #91
muba

Highlights of my year #9

Haskayne Cutting is a small reserve near an old railway line a few miles inland from Ainsdale. It hosted a display of Southern Marsh Orchids numbering well over a thousand. I was there last year later in the year well after the SMOs, but there were some nice large and robust pink flowered Early Marsh Orchids.
Some of the SMOs this year were quite robust and may represent D. xwintoni, which apparently closely resembles the SMO parent according to someone who grew these at home. Worth a visit early June, or perhaps a bit later and see if the EMOs are also there in 2019
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hask2018nmo1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	473.1 KB
ID:	673724  Click image for larger version

Name:	hask2018nmo4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	673725  Click image for larger version

Name:	hask2018nmo3.jpg
Views:	1