• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

blue eared starling Botswana (1 Viewer)

don45_tn

Need help with Blue-eared starling. Miombo or Greater Blue-eared Starling? Moremi Game Reserve 09 November 2019. Thanks

Attachments

• blue eared starling Botswana189 20191109.jpg
    blue eared starling Botswana189 20191109.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 36
  • blue eared starling Botswana 181 20191109.jpg
    blue eared starling Botswana 181 20191109.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 41
It's close enough to the Caprivi strip to be in range I think and GB-e doesn't have chestnut flanks or black mask.

Brown feathering is a sign of immaturity in both species: not sure we can tell which it is from the colour here. Both species exhibit a "black" mask depending on angle. According to birds of birds of Botswana (read through Google), miombo has a narrower mask which appears as an eye streak. I don't get this impression here (although I'm not familiar with the miombo split): when I first saw this pic I thought greater. Certainly the mask expands behind/below the eye. So greater for me

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back