• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brazil Kiskadee question (1 Viewer)

Oscar0906

Hi all,

I am still having trouble differentiating these species (Photos taken in Paraguay and Brazil);

- For 1 I am thinking Great Kiskadee; bill looks to slim for boat-billed flycatcher
- For 2 and 3 I am thinking lesser kiskadee, due to the yellow cap (bill looks wrong for rusty-margined flycather)
- 4 and 5: lesser Kiskadee?

Thanks!

Oscar

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 50
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 38
I think that 1-3 have greater kiskadee, with 2 also having a likely social flycatcher (lower right). 4 and 5 are lesser kiskadee with a clearly straighter, finer bill. The "social flycatcher" appears to have a largely yellow crown patch, but zooming in suggests there's orange in there too. Alternatively, this could be a rusty-margined flycatcher depending on where precisely the photo was taken. Difficult to be sure, but face looks to be fairly black and there's a hint of rufous in the wing, + yellow crown fits better with this species. Either way, not lesser kiskadee I suggest.

I have also tried zooming in on the "social flycatcher". It looks yellow with maybe some orange on the crown; the book I have states orange-red for Social in contrast to orange-yellow for Rusty-margined.

Niels

I have also tried zooming in on the "social flycatcher". It looks yellow with maybe some orange on the crown; the book I have states orange-red for Social in contrast to orange-yellow for Rusty-margined.

Niels

Yes: ebird map suggests Rusty-margined can be as far south as the concepcion/amambay border with Brazil. So location is important. Also, not convinced there's enough in the image to be certain given how similar those 2 are.

Niels

Maybe these pictures could help: I do believe this is the same bird. Looks more orange and yellow crown-patch to me, although the shape of the bill fits better with greater kiskadee

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 17
Maybe these pictures could help: I do believe this is the same bird. Looks more orange and yellow crown-patch to me, although the shape of the bill fits better with greater kiskadee

These are all great kiskadee. They don't (to me) look like the lower right hand bird we were discussing but that wasn't a good angle so who knows? Anyway, the original question was about which are lesser. The answer is last 2 of first set. Just out of interest, where in Paraguay were you?

These are all great kiskadee. They don't (to me) look like the lower right hand bird we were discussing but that wasn't a good angle so who knows? Anyway, the original question was about which are lesser. The answer is last 2 of first set. Just out of interest, where in Paraguay were you?

These were taken in the Chaco, in a town calles Puerto Casado.

Thanks for the help!

First three photos are all Great Kiskadees for me. I'm not sure how people are seeing Social / Rusty-margined there. The white head stripes meeting behind on the nape, and the size favor another Great Kiskadee to me. As an aside, if it were Rusty-margined I think the photo is good enough we'd see the coloration on the wing.

Granted eBird coverage (and ornithological knowledge) are really lacking in Paraguay compared to all surrounding countries, but I get the impression that Lesser Kiskadee is quite uncommon there. However, despite the photo quality, I agree that photo 4/5 looks like a Lesser. It looks like it is perched low, which is good for Lesser, but was it near water? They tend to stay very close to water and I've never seen one perch high.

The lower right hand bird in the second photo looks a bit smaller than the lefthand bird in that image to me. It also looks to have a short bill, but angle is difficult.

Niels

The lower right hand bird in the second photo looks a bit smaller than the lefthand bird in that image to me. It also looks to have a short bill, but angle is difficult.

Niels

Yep my impression too. But let's not get hung up on it: question was about which is lesser and on that we all agree. If there's such a thing as social/rusty-margined in 2nd photo then I think social

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back