• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorant sp Dhaka, Bangladesh November 2019 (TERRIBLE PIC WARNING) (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
Had a good morning out birding this morning with a few lifers. Just as we were starting birding we saw a group of five cormorants flying a ways out. We managed to snap a few shots and this is the best. The most common cormorant species is Little Cormorant but out on the edge of Dhaka people fairly often see flocks of Great Cormorants. I'm not sure if these can be identified from this picture or not. But to me at least they at the time felt different from Little cormorants in that they were in a small flock and the flight pattern felt slightly different. I'd appreciate any help. :)

Attachments

• P1030048.jpg
    P1030048.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 51
Maybe

Hi Seth!
I can only give you my humble thoughts and opinions.
I am in Japan and live where there are alot of
Great, and Temminck's (aka Japanese) Cormorants around me.

Without a closeup of the bill, it can be difficult to ID.
FOR A GREAT CORMORANT,
closeup would show significant amounts of white/gray
and a touch of yellow, compared to Temminck's,
which have alot more yellow.

As well, The Temminck's heads are more flat on top,
similar the Little Cormorants I think. The necks and heads of Great Cormorants are a little more graceful looking than the Temminck's.

SO, if you base this information very loosely,
a guessamate would be Little Cormorants,
with MAYBE a Great thrown in there.

I would make more visits to areas there with Great Cormorants, if you can.
They are wonderful to see. Perhaps someday I will get a chance to see what you see there with the Little Cormorants :bounce:

Here is a link to a wonderful Cormorant paper written by Dr. Nial Moores https://hokkaidojef.home.blog/2019/06/29/differences-between-cormorants/

Jeff :D

Thanks for the input.
I'm getting more and more sure they're just little cormorants. Somehow they had struck me as a little different when I saw them, but looking at the photos again they seem fine for Little.
I'll get the Great Cormorants sooner or later!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back