• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Miami Dade and Everglades National Park (1 Viewer)

janine13

Note: As stated on my previous thread, I have only included information on places that I have actually been. There are many more places to go. I will be updating this thread as I visit more sites.

Lucky Hammock. Officially the Frog Pond WMA, local birders call the area "Lucky Hammock" because of the good fortune we have had birding there. From the end of the Turnpike at Florida City, take SR-9336 toward the main entrance of Everglades National Park (follow the Everglades signs). From Krome Avenue, it is 8 miles to Aerojet Road. Aerojet Road is about 1/2 mile before the park boundary and 1/2 mile past the C-111 canal. There is a big sign for the Southern Glades Youth Camp. Turn left (south) on Aerojet Road. Lucky Hammock is about 1/4 mile on the right. Bird the hammock and the shrubby area across the street. Check the fields. When you are done there, head further south to the for the Southern Glades WEA, which marks the end of Frog Pond WMA. It is great for raptors, such as Mississippi kite, Bald Eagle, Short Tailed Hawk, and Harrier. You never know what you will find, so every trip is an adventure.

Everglades National Park is one of the best winter birding locations in the United States. Over 20 species of warbler are regularly reported during the winter season. Add in the waders, shorebirds, flycatchers and others, and you've got a great birding location. To get to the main portion of the park, follow the Turnpike to the end at Florida City. Take an immediate right on SR-9336 (344th Street, Palm Drive). Follow the signs to the park. It is nearly 9 miles to the entrance. You will pass the Coe Visitor's Center (it is on the right) before reaching the entrance gate.

Royal Palm (Anhinga Trail, Gumbo Limbo Trail, and the adjacent parking lot), is the first stop. The Anhinga Trail, best at dawn and dusk, provides an opportunity to approach waders closely for photography and observation. Double Crested Cormorant, Anhinga, Wood Stork, Great Blue Heron, Green Heron, Snowy Egret, and Purple Gallinule are just some of the waders you will see. American Bittern is also common, as are Red Shouldered Hawks and Snail Kites flying over head. Watch for American Alligator, Florida Softshell, Coot, and Redbellied turtles. The water is very clear, and you will be able to observe Gar, Largemouth Bass, and the exotic Cichlid fish.

Next is the Gumbo Limbo Trail, which is good for wintering warblers. Gray Catbird and Cardinal are seen year round. I have also seen White Crowned Pigeon in the winter here.

Paurotis Pond is a good stop, bring your scope. Look across the lake to a large rookery, where wood storks and other waders breed in the late winter and early spring. Good spot for Roseate Spoonbill, Wood Stork. I have seen dark morph Short Tailed Hawk here.

Mahogany Hammock is good for warblers and Barred Owl. The road to the hammock is good for waders, and watch for raptors- Bald Eagle and Northern Harrier are common.

Mrazek Pond hosts wintering waterfowl, such as Blue and Green wing Teal, Grebe, and others. Year round waders are common, including Wood Stork. Alligators call this pond home as well.

Flamingo Visitors Center .When exposed, the sand bar has shorebirds and larids, and the occasional Flamingo! Ospreys nest around the marina and in the parking lot trees in the winter. Five active nests can be seen within sight of each other at times. Check the marina for waders, pelican, gulls, and terns. Bald Eagles also roost in the mangroves. Just past the boat lift, look on the shore for basking American Crocodiles.

Eco Pond is the last stop before the campsite. The observation platform is a great way to see wading birds, such as white and glossy ibis, little blue heron, grebes, as well as alligators. Rarities such as Antillean Nighthawk, Painted Bunting, Ani, Pintail, and Lazuli Bunting have been reported from the area. As you walk around the pond, watch and listen for King Rail, wintering songbirds, Bittern, and look out for rattlesnakes and marsh rabbit. Alligators are common, as are coot, purple gallinule, and common moorhen.

Last edited:
Yep I added that to the other thread. I havent driven the whole trail, but I wrote a little on Shark Valley and the Loop Road. I will be adding more to the Big Cypress section when I have more info. I've only been once, and that was a school trip so I didnt have much freedom to explore :(

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back