• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merlin ? (1 Viewer)

keithr

Relapsus resurgam
This was the other side of a reservoir but some people who were looking through a good telescope said a Merlin but too far to confirm....??

Bartley Resa, Birmingham.

Attachments

• _MG_4129.JPG
    _MG_4129.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
It is really small on the photo, yeah is looks like fem/juv Merlin but not sure to be positive at this distance indeed.

In the end its purely speculation as a 100% certain identification to species is impossible from such a poor image!

RB

what a nasty word ‘Definition: Speculation involves trading a financial instrument involving high risk, in expectation of significant returns’
no such things here, gut feeling so much nicer, in luxemburgish we also say ‘my bladder tells me’
here i have a very strong gut feeling, but agree this kind of pic can be very deceptive

The general shape, proportions and colour IMO make Merlin the more likely suggestion.

Fluffed up throat feathers, pale area on the nape, brown upperside and pointed wings are good for Merlin, but I'm not prepared to be adamant this time;);)

Peter

what a nasty word ‘Definition: ... gut feeling so much nicer, in luxemburgish we also say ‘my bladder tells me’
here i have a very strong gut feeling, but agree this kind of pic can be very deceptive

Agree Tom; my bladder tells me it isn't Merlin too! The English equivalent of your saying is 'I can feel it in my water' - similar but not quite as expressive!

RB

Thank you everyone you are all amazing to even start to I.D. this....as I said someone said Merlin in seconds so he too felt it in his water...…

This was when we were watching a Great Skua which later on was bombed by a Peregrine so 2 firsts in a day and all in Birmingham...brilliant...

Cheers.

Does this bit of enhancing help at all?

I'm still struggling to make anything of it at all, let alone a single species - to me, could just as easily be a passerine as a falcon. Is it possible to judge the size from the concrete posts? I've no idea if they come in standard sizes or not.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 69
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back