• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Light APO-Televid 77 (1 Viewer)

laservet

I just bought an angled APO-77, 20-60, 32WA, Ever Ready case, Photo Adapter 1:10.4/800mm, and Manfrotto 3205GN3 + 3130G as a gift for my wife. |;| Her first target was a Pileated Woodpecker at about 20 feet -- what a magnificent animal!

I had sloppy seconds that included:

-- a Bald Eagle snatching such a large fish from the river that he couldn't get it completely out of the water, left a wake all the way to the shore
-- I could easily discern the phase of Venus
-- the two day crescent moon shimmering in a red-orange sunset sky
-- two Great Blue Herons in the shallows about 30 feet away attempting to mate, like a pair of gangly teenagers. Wrong time of year, but someone failed to tell them.

I like this scope!

Hi Paul,

I have the APO77 and both 32WA and zoom eyepieces too. It is a great scope :t:

Hope you have many hours of enjoyment.

yep, my first scope was the 77 APO, what a brilliant piece of kit it was too, saw some of my best birds through it.

laservet said:
I just bought an angled APO-77, 20-60, 32WA, Ever Ready case, Photo Adapter 1:10.4/800mm, and Manfrotto 3205GN3 + 3130G as a gift for my wife. |;|
Now that you are at it, I wholeheartedly recommend Leica's excellent 20x wide-angled eyepiece to complement your collection. The Pleiads look just stunning through it... not to mention that it is maybe the best digiscoping eyepiece ever made. :t:

Ilkka

iporali said:
Now that you are at it, I wholeheartedly recommend Leica's excellent 20x wide-angled eyepiece to complement your collection. The Pleiads look just stunning through it... not to mention that it is maybe the best digiscoping eyepiece ever made. :t:

Ilkka

I have a APO 77, and the 20x60 eyepiece.
You recommand the 20 WW for digiscoping compared to the 32 WW?

Thanks a lot. Nicolas

raven swift said:
I have a APO 77, and the 20x60 eyepiece.
You recommand the 20 WW for digiscoping compared to the 32 WW?

Thanks a lot. Nicolas
Nicolas,

I love both the 20x and 32x WW eyepieces. My idea was that the zoom at 20x and the 32x wide-angle give actually very similar true fov in digiscoping, but the 20xWW with a compatible camera gives you much more "space". If you need versatility, go with the zoom and it works also for digiscoping. If you prefer a wide-angle and don't have a zoom, take the 32x. But if you already have the zoom the 20xWW IMO adds more to digiscoping than does the 32x - well, some others may disagree.:t:

Ilkka

Thanks a lot Illka for your precious comments.
Which camera have you used with the 20 WW?
Any vigneting?

I am pretty impatient to see to new digital adaptor 2...

I saw a Scissor tailed flycatcher yesterday evening,
and it was in the scope with a bluebird and a shrike.
That would have been a good picture. But i messed it up
with the zoom and a poor home made adapter.

Have a great day !

raven swift said:
Which camera have you used with the 20 WW?
Any vigneting?
Actually I don't own any Leica optics - my experience with them is from using my friends scopes. I have a Swarovski 20xSW eyepiece, which is also great, but its eye-relief is 2-3mm shorter than that of the Leica 20xWW. This makes vignetting more serious with many cameras, but as you can see here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=48993 I was happy to find out that the small Panasonic DMC-FX9 (a Leica lens and optical image stabilization) can be used with this eyepiece at its shortest focal length without any vignetting. With the Leica 20xWW you should be able to use larger & more "professional" cameras. :t:

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back