• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset bird identification - Common Sandpiper? (1 Viewer)

egret11

Whilst walking along a green lane in mid Dorset at dusk last week I disturbed a starling sized bird from the 3m high hazel hedgerow. It had distinctive narrow 'cranked' wings with pointed tips. It flew in four 'zig zags' with several quick 'flick' wing beats and landed back in the hedge about 30 m further on. it did this three or four times.
Each time it gave a single 'squeak' (as opposed to 'sqwark') surprise/alarm call as it sprung up.

Being nearly dark at the time it was silhouetted against the residual skylight to the west and so I could see no markings or colour. It gave the impression of 'undistinctive' tail and a slim body (but not as slim as a swallow). Although the area is close to heath and woodland with nightjars, and I have seen these in the vicinity of the watermeadows, this bird appeared somewhat smaller than a nightjar and had a less distinct tail length. The wings being cranked were not crescent shaped like a hobby (which also frequent the area). s it was flying away from me each time I could not see its beak/bill.

The track is one field away (about 100 metres) from watermeadows at this point and the watermeadows are bounded by alder and ash trees and also have associated scrub / bramble clumps.

I can only think it was a Common Sandpiper but felt it an unusual choice of roost and the body seemed a bit slim for a sandpiper. Snipe frequent the watermeadows but I have not seen sandpipers there before and would not associate them with hedgerow roosts.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what this might have been?

Agree that it sounds better for Green Sandpiper. If you manage to see the rump, then you could probably confirm Green Sandpiper. They have a very distinctive white rump and are otherwise dark. They wouldn't roost in a hedge though. Is there a drain or any water beside the hedge?

Mainly a winter visitor to the UK so Common is far more likely in summer.

Actually, pre-nuptial migration can continue as late a June, and very early post-nuptial female can travel as early as July or late June, so there are records every month.

You are right, however, it is a mainly "winter" visitor indeed, but "winter" for that species has started already. I quote RSBP- "Green sandpipers are seen in the UK most between July and March."

Agree that it sounds better for Green Sandpiper. If you manage to see the rump, then you could probably confirm Green Sandpiper. They have a very distinctive white rump and are otherwise dark. They wouldn't roost in a hedge though. Is there a drain or any water beside the hedge?

I suspected many times roosting in trees in Africa, why not in Europe ? Well, whatever it roosts or not, they often perches on branches, and migrants are typically seen in woods much more than any other sandpiper - even than Wood Sandpiper!

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/FWBM9A/gr...hing-on-birch-branch-moscow-region-FWBM9A.jpg

Last edited:
quite a few green sandpiper passing through dorset at the moment so i wouldn't use time of year as a particular indicator

can't help with the ID though, the one that got away

James

It had distinctive narrow 'cranked' wings with pointed tips. It flew in four 'zig zags' with several quick 'flick' wing beats and landed back in the hedge about 30 m further on. it did this three or four times.
Each time it gave a single 'squeak' (as opposed to 'sqwark') surprise/alarm call as it sprung up.

This is really good for Green Sandpiper, not at all for Common.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back