• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Golden Ring HD 20-60x80 Boone and Crockett Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

tealboy1

Leupold seems very unpopular for spotting scopes but I ran across this one and wonder if it is worth pursuing or better to spend a similar amount on a different scope. I don’t have a scope, just a bunch of binocs, well...I do have a cheapo scope but hardly count it.

Anyway, neighbor has office mate with this leupold for $1300 and reportedly new, not used or like brand new. Said he paid $2000 for it and is now discontinued

Any thoughts? I found little here on leupold.

Leupold has a good reputation for hunting optics and their Gold Ring offerings are their top of the line.
The smaller 60mm version of this scope has had several reviews, generally praising its compact design, solid performance and generous warranty support.
That said, the 80mm was discontinued as of 2013, so it is not the freshest. There are several offers on the auction site for new units priced at $1400 to $2200. I don't know what the warranty portability would be for a second hand resale.

Helpful, thank you very much. Will continue to monitor other responses but you make good points and I suspect for that kind of money I would be better to invest in a newer generation model

Hi,

from the specs this doesn't look very good for birding - straight view so a high tripod is needed for a standing user (not so much of a problem if you're prone or sitting for target shooting) and super narrow field of view across the whole zoom range (46 deg afov at 20x and "opening up" to 48 deg at 60x). Again not a problem for shooting, but not great for birding.

30mm eye relief are also a clear indication of this instrument targeted at shooters where you just bring your eye in the general vicinity of the eyecup instead of putting your eyesocket or glasses onto the eyecup.

Here's some old specs page from bhphoto - also curious for not exportable... demilitarized version of sniper/spotter instrument?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/982858-REG/leupold_110551_golden_ring_hd_20_60x80.html

Joachim, who would pass on this one...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back