• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorants Info and Hokkaido ID help (1 Viewer)

Otarujef

Master Blurry Bird Phototaker
Supporter
Japan

Attachments

• cormorant 12-yoichi river.jpg
    cormorant 12-yoichi river.jpg
    628.6 KB · Views: 27
  • cormorant 14-yoichi river.jpg
    cormorant 14-yoichi river.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 31
  • cormorant 13-cape shukutsu.jpg
    cormorant 13-cape shukutsu.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 38
  • cormorant 9-cape shukutsu.jpg
    cormorant 9-cape shukutsu.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Always a nice challenge, will have a look once home,
Cheers and thx for the Rockthrush reply...

Back to butterfly watching in 30+ celsius drentse aa area.

Gerben

Back now...
I've been studying them for quite some time now too, and i keep forgetting the key features...
The articles you linked to are very helpful and with some decent photos it's often doable I guess.

My problem was that i didn't have decent photos all the time
I'd say here: 3 & 4: Temminck's because the yellow envelops the eye partly. The pale yellow skin also is pointed towards the rear. yellow base to lower mandible
1 & 2; probably hanedae Great Cormorant, limited amount of bright yellow, rounded edge to the pale yellow skin.
Also the white should reach higher upwards.

But i'm only into this matter since my visit last year, so i'm an eager newcomer still.

cheers,
Gerben

ps. nice to find another japanese birding blog...it's been a while since i've seen one.

Last edited:
Gerben and Acadillor.
Thank you both!
That was my thoughts as well.
With Cormorants, the details can be so important, I wanted to check with others. Gerben (ssp. sinesis) for the Great Cormorants tend to be up this way....ssp. hanedae not making it this far north to Hokkaido (USUALLY, of course!), i have read.

BTW links with thanks to Jane Turner :)

Thanks again,

Jeff :D

Last edited:
yikes!

"Back to butterfly watching in 30+ celsius.... "

Yikes pretty hot there!
fry an egg on the sidewalk weather!
:egghead:

Gerben , also the PDF states that
from a distance ,
you can easily see that Temminck's have more of a definite black culmen on the bill,
whereas Great's are Gray.
The difference in bill colour between the two species is noticeable at medium
or even longer ranges.

haha we will have to put that to the test in the field. That would be wonderful if it aids us greatly like that.
:D

Last edited:
Unfortunately i'm back the Netherlands, since mid june last year : (
Now working on the last 2 weeks of my records of last year.
My few Temminck's are not particularly mindblowing. Hopefully I have some cormorant photos left, I will study them with new vigor.

Good luck and if you care to help out with some ID problems still left... (little/common/oriental) cuckoos) feel free to do so.

Looking forward to solving more Japan puzzles...and learning on the go.

have a good time

take care,
Gerben

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back