• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poor Leica Repair Service USA (1 Viewer)

hgalbraith

First of all, let me state that I am an admirer of Leica bins. I have a pair of UVHD+ and love 'em. I have also owned trinovids and other UVs at various times in the past. I really like the Leica view. I have also owned various Swaros and one of the attractive features about those was the US repair service.

Wish I could say the same about Leica! We (my wife Suzanne and I) recently decided that we were going to send Leica a pair of 25-yr old Trinnies that needed repairs. That was two months ago. The only time since then that they have communicated with us is to confirm that the bins were still under warranty. Good news - yes. However, getting any response or information out of Leica about the progress of repairs, a timeline, or even what they intend doing has been impossible. We have sent several emails and made several calls, and are being stonewalled completely. They NEVER answer emails or calls. This, in my experience is a sad comparison with Swaro.

Have phoned a couple of times, but never managed to get beyond a receptionist. As though the techies who might do the repairs are walled off from the customers.

You know I need to say that the OP's experience was dramatically different than mine. I thought I might have an issue with my first pair of UVHD+'s, actually drover over and had forum member Chilli 6X6 take a look at them.

So when I called Leica they explained to me that the techs were in the field, for a show or something, I can't remember. At any rate, the guy in New Jersey calls one of these techs in the field who in turn gets in contact with me. I explain to him my problem, and he has me send them in. I ended up with a new pair very quickly through the retailer I originally bought them from.

Two times I have e-mailed customer care and got timely responses on both occasions which is how I knew to give bill weire's e-mail address in post #4.

I'm sorry for the OP's troubles, and I hope it is the exception.

Last edited:
poor leica service

You know, I do not mind it taking so long to do the repairs. What I DO mind is the complete lack of communication from Leica. After two months and several phone calls you might think that they would at least tell us what they intend doing and why it might take a little time. So much for customer service.

There are numerous threads on various forums lamenting the same things about Leica's piss poor USA customer service. Unfortunately it's not the exception, as it happens quite often.

in this day and age there is really no excuse for poor communication. I really don't get it. I get it that it may take a while to repair a 25 year old binocular. It may even have to been sent to Germany OR repair may be outsourced. How about something like this:

"Dear Mr Galbraith, Your Trinovid binoculars had to be sent to our repair center in Germany. Estimated time for repair is 14 days not including transit time after which the binoculars will be returned to you. I will up date you when we receive them from Germany and are shipped back to you. Thank you for purchasing Leica Products!"

That message could easily be automated. Scan in, scan out. There are no smoke and mirrors any more.

You know I need to say that the OP's experience was dramatically different than mine. I thought I might have an issue with my first pair of UVHD+'s, actually drover over and had forum member Chilli 6X6 take a look at them.

So when I called Leica they explained to me that the techs were in the field, for a show or something, I can't remember. At any rate, the guy in New Jersey calls one of these techs in the field who in turn gets in contact with me. I explain to him my problem, and he has me send them in. I ended up with a new pair very quickly through the retailer I originally bought them from.

Two times I have e-mailed customer care and got timely responses on both occasions which is how I knew to give bill weire's e-mail address in post #4.

I'm sorry for the OP's troubles, and I hope it is the exception.

Yeah you got GREAT service! I've only called Leica one time and that was for some replacement objective covers for my original Geovid rangefinder/binoculars.

Poor repair service

Saga goes from bad to worse on these bins. At first leica told us (after saying nothing for over a month) that the bins were covered by the warranty. Later they came out and told us that they had found some sort of loophole to evade this and that the bins were NOT under warranty. Now they have gone completely quiet and do not respond to our emails and calls. Over two months have now gone by without any sort of resolution. This is extremely aggravating - like talking to a particularly dense brick wall. I have owned several pairs of Leica bins in my long years birding -but no more. By contrast, my experience with Swaro repairs department has always been very positive. No more Leicas for me.

This is such an awful story of how to ruin customer relationships with non-existent communication.

The warranty problem is a different aspect. Over here in the UK I wouldn't regard stuff worn out with normal wear and tear as covered by a warranty which to me is to cover you when something goes wrong which is the fault of manufacture or materials.

Lee

Try your state's attorney general fraud division, that will get their attention.
Also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau....maybe if Leica gets dinged in the national press about their poor customer service it might get their attention.
I hate to say it but being a German company, they may not care...just ask all the diesel Golf owners.
Art

Try contacting Doug at cameraland, he has been able to get some other people in the same situation fixed up with someone at Leica to help them out.

Leica poor service

The latest update on this long-running travesty is that Leica Repairs in the US have basically said that we are on your own unless we pony up $1,000 to cover cleaning, parts, etc. We have refused this kind offer and there has been complete silence from Leica over the past month. I suspect that they are just sitting tight and wishing that we would go away. They still have the bins.

Is it any wonder why Swaro USA is kicking Leica's asss all over the playground here in the USA? Leica remains utterly clueless and out of touch with the American market.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back