• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory n x 32 SF (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

Looking back at older threads, I saw advice from two or three years ago to a prospective 32 FL buyer that it might be worth waiting for a 32 SF.

Is this something that could still be on the way? Or does the attractiveness of a small size in 32s rule out the presumably bigger barrels of an SF in that configuration?

(Then we can start discussing the neutrality or otherwise of the colour rendition... ;-)

Thank you,

Tom

Last edited:
I think it will be a challenge to get something small as the FL 8X32 with enhanced optics, sure it can be done but at a price, and they (Zeiss) have to determine if it is financially worth it. The other premier glass in 8X32 IMHO are the SV and the EDG, both are larger than the Zeiss, (I am a Leica fan also but I was not impressed with the UV 8X32). It just goes to show how impressive the FL is as a 8X32 for its size.

Andy W.

I think it will be a challenge to get something small as the FL 8X32 with enhanced optics, sure it can be done but at a price, and they (Zeiss) have to determine if it is financially worth it. The other premier glass in 8X32 IMHO are the SV and the EDG, both are larger than the Zeiss, (I am a Leica fan also but I was not impressed with the UV 8X32). It just goes to show how impressive the FL is as a 8X32 for its size.

Andy W.

Thanks, Andy. Interesting how popular the 8x32 FL is. Somehow - perhaps I was having a bad day - I just didn't have the chemistry for me though I love Zeiss 42 models and I preferred the even smaller 8x32 UVHDs for image and quickly got used to the handling and eye relief which goes against most people's experiences! Nought as strange as folk...

Might try an 8x32 FL again sometime but I certainly don't need one.

Back to the idea of an 8x32 SF: if Zeiss don't make one I wonder how if at all they might update the FL, considering those 32 models are the only remaining FLs. Perhaps as you say financial considerations mean they will be happy to keep them in the range for a whlle yet.

Tom

I should clarify my statement and should have said - The other premier glass in 8X32 (roof prisms)...I actually use the SE and EII the most in this configuration these days.

Andy W.

Thanks, Andy. Interesting how popular the 8x32 FL is. Somehow - perhaps I was having a bad day - I just didn't have the chemistry for me though I love Zeiss 42 models and I preferred the even smaller 8x32 UVHDs for image and quickly got used to the handling and eye relief which goes against most people's experiences! Nought as strange as folk...

Might try an 8x32 FL again sometime but I certainly don't need one.

Back to the idea of an 8x32 SF: if Zeiss don't make one I wonder how if at all they might update the FL, considering those 32 models are the only remaining FLs. Perhaps as you say financial considerations mean they will be happy to keep them in the range for a whlle yet.

Tom

I wouldn't worry about it! I had a FL 8X32 for about two years. I never warmed to it and enjoyed several binoculars better including a Conquest HD 8X32 and a SV 8X32. No one can say I didn't try! I ended up giving it to my brother who is elated with it...

Attachments

• DSC_0091.jpg
    DSC_0091.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 226
I have a pair of Zeiss 8 x 32 FL that not only is it my cherished go to optic, but is unique.......it was used by Sir David Attenborough when he opened a new part of NWT Cley Marshes a few years back. He mentioned how good they were compared to his beloved old 10 x 40 BGAT.

My niece ( who worships the great man ) has her eyes on them when I move up to " The Great Gig in the Sky".

P

ps Remember the Leica Trinovids , red rubber armoured, in a fish tank as demonstration of their water tightness.

Last edited:
One thing that has always struck me when the 32FL is discussed is the clear division between those (like me) who consider it one of the best birding bins ever made, and those who couldn't get on with it and sold it.
I think this - if nothing else - points to the physiological and ergonomic suitability of particular models - perhaps more emphatic in smaller binoculars.

Something that should be remembered in all other threads of the 'this vs that' nature!

I have a Zeiss 7x42 FL binocular. It's an excellent binocular, with optical quality similar to Zeiss HT, Leica Ultravid HD+, Swarovski SLC and Nikon EDG.
But one step below Zeiss SF, Swarovski EL and Leica Noctivid.

I think SF 42 is so big and I don't like 8x rolling ball effect (10x is much less noticeable).
A black SF 8x32 with a small rolling ball effect like SF 10x42, and an even bigger FOV than 42 would be an awesome binocular.
Size like Swarovski EL 8x32 if you want the best optics. Shorter you sacrifice optical quality (chromatic and spherical aberration).

Albertoj,

Thanks for your perspective opinion, I own some of the glass mentioned.
I also have owned the SF 8X42. I do not think the SF is a step above (with the EL and Noctivid) the others mentioned (specifically the UVHD+, EDG, SLC, HT), but that is my perspective.
The FL 8X32 is a nice glass with all the compromises to put it in a small package, IMHO any upgrades and it will be a larger size glass, but how much better?, we will see when and if it gets built. I personally am quite satisfied with the 8X32 FL a great glass for, well anything.

Andy W.

I have a pair of Zeiss 8 x 32 FL that not only is it my cherished go to optic, but is unique.......it was used by Sir David Attenborough when he opened a new part of NWT Cley Marshes a few years back. He mentioned how good they were compared to his beloved old 10 x 40 BGAT.

My niece ( who worships the great man ) has her eyes on them when I move up to " The Great Gig in the Sky".

P

ps Remember the Leica Trinovids , red rubber armoured, in a fish tank as demonstration of their water tightness.

That's a great story; I'm a huge fan of Sir David Attenborough. If I may ask - how did you end up with those binoculars?

They were mine from new, a few years back. Sir David visited the nature reserve where I worked and was going out for a walk along the new trail. I jumped at the chance to lend him my bins for the afternoon. He thanked me afterwards and shared some of his chocolate. That's all the man requested as his rider....2 big bars of Cadburys Dairy Milk.
Treasured moment.

Regards.

Last edited:

P

Those binoculars should be laminated and kept in a glass box.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back