• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quasi-10x32 Zeiss FL model ? (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
Yesterday a friend took some Zeis FL 10x32 and I could use them at my whim to watch birds ... and what images! gods! I have no budget for such a binocular, but could someone tell me if there is a binocular model that provides these or similar images (in terms of quality) for less money?
Thank you.
Wachi

Hello Wachipilotes,

Because you like the Zeiss FL 10x32 you could try either the Zeiss Terra 10x32 ($350 to $400) or the Zeiss Conquest 10x32 ($900). I own the FL and the Terra but not the Conquest. The Terra is a nice bin for the money if you get a good example. It is similar in size, shape and weight to the FL. Of course the image is not as good but personally I think it is @ 70 to 80% as good as the FL. One problem as I understand it, it is difficult to make a smaller 10x32 like the FL perform well optically so you have to pay more for image quality in the 10x32 format than with more common formats like the 8x32. The Kowa Genises 10x33 may get closer to the FL image quality (I have never used one) but it costs about $1200. I have also tried some cheaper 10x32s in the $200 range but they were not very good. Personally I would only consider 10x32s with a MSRP of $400 or above for a new bin. Used Terras sometimes come up on eBay for @$250 if you can wait.

Hope this helps.

Mike

The Zeiss 10x32 FL is the only 10x32 that I've ever liked. If I were going to buy a 10x on a budget, I'd go w/a cheap 10x42 or 10x50 instead of a cheap 10x32.

--AP

Kowa Genesis 10x33 but holding such a comparatively light 10x bino is hard if you have exerted yourself or there is a stiff breeze blowing. See Alexis's solution.

Lee

I have a Nikon 10x32 EDG II binocular which is superb in all respects but it is not lightweight. I have spent time comparing it with my Nikon 10x42 SE and to my eyes it is just as good and it has a wider FOV. I note here that the EDG is a much newer binocular than my SE so its coatings are probably newer.

Bob

Since Wachi the OP was asking about 10x32 FL (not many of us 10x32 fans out there) it was interesting to read AP and Bob's comments above. For context I agree with AP's opinions expressed elsewhere that the SV 8.5 and Victory Pocket are masterpieces. Same goes for Bob's comment on the Nikon 10x32 EDG II expressed here. The 10x32 is my favorite format. Based on my use and experience I personally rank them:

1. EDG - gorgeous emotionally engaging image quality and best all around performance in most lighting conditions. Can't add anything to the Tobias Menle review except maybe "more like Leica than Leica".
2. SV FP 10x32 - superb SV image, improved focusing knob function and seems to exhibit less of the "faults" mentioned in some reviews of the other EL model series. Glare and flare are very well controlled and I get no rolling ball effect as in the SV 8x32 and 8.5, although i am not overly bothered by those characteristics in either of those models. The SV technology makes the 360' FOV look larger and somehow the magnification seems higher like a 10.5 or maybe even 11x.
3. Leiva UVHD+ - The iconic 10x Leica image in a great compact size. Built like a luxury tank. May not have enough ER for those who use glasses. The UV is only slightly behind the SV by reason of the latter's somewhat better FOV and and better ER.
4. Zeiss FL T* - Excellent image in many conditions and great ergonomics. But two problems I experience with it make it the clear 4th place finisher IMO. Veiling glare against the light is very pronounced for me. Also the other three are surprisingly better/brighter/sharper and more color saturated in overcast conditions.This could be a problem with my particular example but the image is excellent in all other conditions.

Again this is based on my personal extensive use of all four models but I have no technical knowledge whatsoever. I should also mention I generally use bins without my prescription glasses but with eyecups fully down. My only test for ER is whether a particular model has sufficient ER for occasional use with close fitting sunglasses.

Thanks for your indulgence. We 10x32 guys don't get a lot of chances to expound.

Mike

Personally I consider these 4 models as four good alpha,they must be fantastic but would there be another 4 subalpha models? or 4 medium models?
(which are 4 models is for the previous message ..)

Possibly a good option to try is the Nikon 10x42 MHG. Although a 42mm the Nikon Monarch HGs are some of the smallest and lightest 10x42s around at their level of quality. They're about half the price of some of the alpha's people have been mentioning. I've not tried this particular model of MHG, but I enjoy my 8x30 MHG and the 10x42 MHG seems to be the model that gets most praise.

The Zeiss FLs, Swaro Swarovisions and Leica Ultravid hds all share that 10x32 'pop'...not much else really compares (can't speak to the Kowa Genesis which are likely fantastic) but the aforementioned Nikon HGs are very good for the price compromise.

Have a look for some Nikon HGLs (premiers); there are still some new close-outs about if you look hard. They are bigger and heavier than the Zeiss, but hardly behind it optically speaking - they are from the dame era. I paid £500 just over 18 months ago to replace my E2s (8x30), I wear glasses and was struggling with the eye relief and needed something waterproof.

I was not a 10x32 person, but, on a budget, the deal was too good to resist. The format took a bit of getting used to, but I had always liked 10x, and need something smaller than 42 for taking on my daily walks. I have to say that I am now a convert; the wider field more than compensates for the loss of brightness at dawn, dusk, dark winter days etc - I am nearly 60 so my pupils don't dilate as much as they used to. The weight means I have no trouble holding them still. The hardest thing in the format to get used to is the shallow depth of field, but the superb Nikon focus wheel helps considerably.

When I retire shortly, I was thinking of selling the Nikon's and treating my self to some ELs, having previously had some 7x42 SLCs. I was always going to get the 8x32s, but now might get the 10x32s. Alternatively I might keep the Nikon's and get the EL 8X32's in addition.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have a Nikon 10x32 EDG II binocular which is superb in all respects but it is not lightweight. I have spent time comparing it with my Nikon 10x42 SE and to my eyes it is just as good and it has a wider FOV. I note here that the EDG is a much newer binocular than my SE so its coatings are probably newer.

Bob

(I am writing this in response to Paskman's comments in Post #11 above while at the same time continuing my remarks from Post #5 above on the Nikon 10x32 EDG II.)

Prior to getting my 10x32 EDG II I had used a Nikon 10x32 LX L for several years. It is the same binocular as the European 10x32 HG L. I recall that it had received an excellent review in the Finnish Magazine "Alula" in a comparison of 5 high quality 10x42 and 10x32 binoculars by Kimmo Absetz. The review has disappeared from the internet. It was instrumental in my decision to get the 10x32 LX L. (I also own and still use a Nikon 8x32 LX L as my primary 8x32.)

Bob

Last edited:
Since Wachi the OP was asking about 10x32 FL (not many of us 10x32 fans out there) it was interesting to read AP and Bob's comments above. For context I agree with AP's opinions expressed elsewhere that the SV 8.5 and Victory Pocket are masterpieces. Same goes for Bob's comment on the Nikon 10x32 EDG II expressed here. The 10x32 is my favorite format. Based on my use and experience I personally rank them:

1. EDG - gorgeous emotionally engaging image quality and best all around performance in most lighting conditions. Can't add anything to the Tobias Menle review except maybe "more like Leica than Leica".
2. SV FP 10x32 - superb SV image, improved focusing knob function and seems to exhibit less of the "faults" mentioned in some reviews of the other EL model series. Glare and flare are very well controlled and I get no rolling ball effect as in the SV 8x32 and 8.5, although i am not overly bothered by those characteristics in either of those models. The SV technology makes the 360' FOV look larger and somehow the magnification seems higher like a 10.5 or maybe even 11x.
3. Leiva UVHD+ - The iconic 10x Leica image in a great compact size. Built like a luxury tank. May not have enough ER for those who use glasses. The UV is only slightly behind the SV by reason of the latter's somewhat better FOV and and better ER.
4. Zeiss FL T* - Excellent image in many conditions and great ergonomics. But two problems I experience with it make it the clear 4th place finisher IMO. Veiling glare against the light is very pronounced for me. Also the other three are surprisingly better/brighter/sharper and more color saturated in overcast conditions.This could be a problem with my particular example but the image is excellent in all other conditions.

Again this is based on my personal extensive use of all four models but I have no technical knowledge whatsoever. I should also mention I generally use bins without my prescription glasses but with eyecups fully down. My only test for ER is whether a particular model has sufficient ER for occasional use with close fitting sunglasses.

Thanks for your indulgence. We 10x32 guys don't get a lot of chances to expound.

Mike

Mike, hoping this question and your possible answer to it will help the OP in sizing up his options: can you or anyone else confirm or deny regarding the 10x32 versions what I've found in comparing 7x42s.. that the Nikon image is much more glare/reflection-free and perhaps for that reason apparently sharper and cleaner than the Leica UVHD Plus image? I love the Leica look but have recently been amazed by the quality of the Nikon EDG. I used to think immersive image and flat field were opposites but not any more. If this applies equally to the same models in 10x32 size the Nikon - if it suits in terms of handling, weight and other factors would be a superb choice. Sadly it may cost as much as the Zeiss that the OP liked so much.. or possibly more.

Tom

Tom,

Sorry I missed this until this morning. For a more detailed response, and another's opinion on your specific question you may want to see my post #47 in the Nikon forum, topic "Nikon 7/8x42 EDG experiences sought". In the meantime in response to your specific question above:

I own EDG and UV+ in 7x42 and both in 10x32 as well. Yes, to me the EDG in both formats has a more glare free image (really none) and therefore does appear cleaner sharper and more immersive. Personally I describe the EDG as a "better Leica" in terms of overall image quality, performance in various lighting conditions and its fantastic focusing mechanism. Further, in actual hand held use, the smooth, precise, actually addictive Nikon focus greatly enhances both the 7 and 10 by serving as a force multiplier to increase the perceived DOF during panning/scanning and following birds in flight. While everyone loves the EDG smooth focus as a discrete mechanical function I have never read elsewhere about what for me results in a symbiotic optical effect between focus function and perceived or practical DOF.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Tom,

Sorry I missed this until this morning. For a more detailed response, and another's opinion on your specific question you may want to see my post #47 in the Nikon forum, topic "Nikon 7/8x42 EDG experiences sought". In the meantime in response to your specific question above:

I own EDG and UV+ in 7x42 and both in 10x32 as well. Yes, to me the EDG in both formats has a more glare free image (really none) and therefore does appear cleaner sharper and more immersive. Personally I describe the EDG as a "better Leica" in terms of overall image quality, performance in various lighting conditions and its fantastic focusing mechanism. Further, in actual hand held use, the smooth, precise, actually addictive Nikon focus greatly enhances both the 7 and 10 by serving as a force multiplier to increase the perceived DOF during panning/scanning and following birds in flight. While everyone loves the EDG smooth focus as a discrete mechanical function I have never read elsewhere about what for me results in a symbiotic optical effect between focus function and perceived or practical DOF.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike,

It helps me a lot and having given my EDGs a lot of viewing time recently - almost daily since buying them - I agree with everything you say. At some point I'd like to get 10x binos but ideally lighter weight than the Nikons; trouble is the Nikon might well give me the most viewing satisfaction - you can see where this is heading!

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back