• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (1 Viewer)

That was quick...
Nothing much doing on the Blackwater on the last few times I've passed, although I've seen a lot of house sparrows at the Meadows near the Tesco loading bay which I hadn't seen there in a long time.
Still trying to pin my brother down for a trip to Moor Green...

At Moor Green, we had, tons of lapwings, gadwalls, coots galore, linnets on the Tern Island, assortment of other ducks (tufted, pochard), but best of all, a hobby swooping over th lake after dragonflies, although it did have a pop at spooking the lapwings a few times. My brother was pretty chuffed as he's quite into raptors ('Lapwings? Oh. They're pretty boring, aren't they...')

Finally! Saw the green woodpecker that sits ouside my house (it's been over a month now since I first heard it). I was almost standing on top of it before I saw it, clinging to the side of a small tree. Cunningly, I didn't actually think to walk back to the house and get the digiscoping gear (as I don't have a photo), but walked towards it.
Durrrrr.

Had to stop work for two hours so my sister could chat to her friends online that she was out with yesterday (because that's obviously more important than finishing my thesis). However, put it to use and went birding over Yateley Common South. Found a flock of ~25 birds, which on closer inspection turned out to be woodlarks, with one skylark in for good measure. Also saw a ton of Dartford warblers (at least 15), 20-odd stonechats, 3 GSW, heard two green woodpeckers and saw one redstart, a tick for me as I'd not seen one before. The Dartfords are getting tame again after being quite wary over the summer, which is good for me as I'm due my new camera any day soon.
All in all, not bad.

Ha! Got him!
Finally got as shot of the green woodpecker out the front of the house. It's hardly cause a stir at the next wildlife photographer's awards, but I'm happy...

Attachments

• gw1.jpg
    gw1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 306
Saw two whinchats over Yateley Common South while looking for the county recorder, who I must have missed by a matter of minutes. Very happy with that as I'd not seen those before. I'll try and get some proper notes tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well, the county recorder had seen a juvenile whinchat at the same place, so that's good.
Today's highlights were a pair of bullfinches outside Tesco's at The Meadows.

Yateley Common South today:
16 Stonechats, some juveniles.
5 Dartford warblers seen, another four heard.
Minimum 10 woodlarks in one big flock. Looks like there were quite a few more, but those are just the ones I saw leaving after the big flock came in.
1 grey partridge, low and fast over the heath.

Anyone know how to find the hide at Vyne Floods? Went down this afternoon with my 10yr old daughter to go for the Pec Sand that was reported on Birdguides. I parked in the NT car park & then walked back down the road looking for a public footpath which we eventually found. This led us across two fields, past a farm, & reached a small footbridge over a stream. No hide was visable in any direction, so we decided to call it a day, bit of a wild goose chase! :storm: If any N.Hants birders reading this can enlighten me I'd be most grateful.

Cheers,

John.

Buzzard drifting over Rowhill LNR at lunchtime, seen from the Royal Arms garden. Not bad, a patch tick whilst enjoying a beer! B :)

John.

Quite few widgeon and teal at Moor Green. Also several pairs of shovelers, several tufties (males mostly in eclipse, as were shovelers), feral snow and barncle geese, Egyptian geese, tons of Canadas, fair few lapwings, little grebe (which ate a three-inch fish with some difficulty), kestrel, several gc grebes. Feeders have been up since September 10th and have a group of tits and chaffinches around them.
Still not quite sure how I spent five hours there, though...

Well, stretching it a bit to include in my patch (but fitting in here ok), very quiet at Dinton Pastures yesterday, apart from the kingfisher showing nicely and posing for some digiscoped shots. Some snipe also (which I missed, but Mrs Boris got to see) and quitre a few shoveler, some teal and a fair number of cormorants.

Fleet Pond tomorrow, which from previous experience, means that it will be tipping it down with rain...

Apparently, a Hoopoe has been seen somewhere in Hampshire. Any idea where, exactly, as i dont have access to Birdguides

Jason

Also, Yateley Common sounds like an amazing place. I will have to try and visit sometime, as im currently staying in Pompey. Are the birds you saw in the previous thread resident, or passing through?

I know there was one near Gosport earlier this year, but I can't see anything on www.hos.org.uk.
I don't know many other birders round here, but maybe someone will know, possibly Farnborough John as he seems pretty well informed.

J Moss said:
Also, Yateley Common sounds like an amazing place. I will have to try and visit sometime, as im currently staying in Pompey. Are the birds you saw in the previous thread resident, or passing through?

Yateley Common is good at times. The Dartfords are resident, not sure about the woodlarks, but the linnets seems to come and go. Give me a shout if you come up and I'll take you for the tour...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back