• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG Sports Line - Dead Or Alive ? When discontinued ? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
Out of curiosity , who here owns a Nikon EDG Sports Product ? Does anyone know when Nikon actually stopped their manufacturing ?. There still is a ample supply from Japan dealers on Ebay selling new binoculars and spotting scopes/eyepieces at very reduced prices. I own a EDG product. I also know many here have their own personal opinions of why they do or do not care to own a Nikon EDG Binocular or Scope. For those of you who own a EDG, I know why ... it’s the same reason I own one. So we do not need anyone’s opinion of why they think their favorite Binocular or Scope is better. I am just interested in how many members here own a Nikon EDG product and when they were actually discontinued. Thanks, Gwen

Last edited:
Hi Gwen, an owner here. I'm unsure of what's going on in that regard but in my country they are still available through authorised dealers (for however longer that will be?). I've never posed the question to Nikon or it's distributors so all I can offer is speculation.
I've given my thoughts on what may be happening in the recent MHG thread which is somewhat in line with others as far as Nikon may well be filling the the EDG spot with the more mid tier orientated MHG.

Hello Gwen,
I bought an EDG 7x42 early this year and can confirm there are several other EDG models still available in Britain, all for c. £1,700-2,000 from the Nikon UK website. I don't know how many they have in their inventory.

One thing I'd point out beyond the scope of your post: there have been frequent complaints about objective covers not staying in place but I sense Nikon may have done something about that as on my 7x42 they pop firmly in and out.

Tom

Edit: I have just written to a friend of mine who has unrivalled contacts within Nikon to see what he might be able to find out.

Last edited:
Gwen,

I own EDG in 7x42 and 10x32. IMO and preference both are all around best in those two formats compared to the other alphas. I do not know when or if manufacture has been discontinued but unfortunately F88 appears to be correct.

Tom, anxiously awaiting any information you might obtain from your source.

Mike

Three other members with me being the fourth have confessed to ownership, there must be many more who like me took advantage of the deep discounts when Nikon Flag Ship Binoculars and Scopes fell from grace. Searching back in the forums many were scared away because of the shocking high prices. Now in many places they can be purchased at the same or lower :t: prices of what the two other top Alpha brands sell for.

Last edited:
Hey Gwen,

I have EDG IIs, 8X42 and 8X32 both bought NIB. I have a EDG 7X42 bought used.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1288.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1288.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 160
I have an EDG 10x42, that I bought used from a forum member over a year ago. It is a fine binocular that I used regularly with 2 exceptions:

1. The focus wheel is unreasonably tight, apparently set that way by a star gazer, but an impediment for fast focus when birding. I missed more than a few close range birds. It is frustrating that a binocular with a reputation for having such a smooth focuser was 'modified'. Apparently I have to send it in to have it changed. I may still do that.

2. I looked through, and eventually acquired a 10x42 Noctivid. It is just simply a better fit for me... eye relief, how the eye cups are thin and closer to the lens, the view is lovely, the focuser smooth and light. That has been my primary go to ever since.

I still keep the EDG out, and use it around the house, but it doesn't get field duty because of the *&*&% focuser.

-Bill

I have owned EDG 7x42, 8x32, 10x32, and 10x42. Still have the 10x32. I think they're great.

As I suspected :smoke: Soon we are going to find out that most of the sales of the Nikon EDG product line went to the BirdForum members :king: here. We all must pledge not to let this little dirty secrete out 3:) We do not want all those non-EDG owners around the world to find out :-O or do we ?

I have long experience with the EDG 10x42, close to 10 years, I did not look up when I first got
mine. I agree with the Allbinos review of the Nikon EDG, it is top of the heap, and I have tried most
all of them.

I also had the 8x32 EDG for a time then sold it. I found the Nikon SE 8x32 handled stray lighting issues
better, both very good binoculars.

I have a 8x32 SE, it will be with me long term...;)
And yes the hype of this model is well deserved.

Jerry

Hi,

I have an EDG 8x32 that I swapped for a Zeiss Conquest 8x32, even though I liked the Conquest, but that Nikon was just better!
Then I have the 7x42 EDG, which I exchanged for a Zeiss Victory 7x42 T * FL!
The Zeiss I just did not like, too much astigmatism and distortion, in the star observation a small disaster, even during the day I can see these image weaknesses!
At first glance through the EDG, I knew that Zeiss must find a new home...

It is a pity that Nikon takes care of the EDG so moderately, unfortunately one hears again and again of a very bad service from Nikon, so I would not buy another EDG, because one is on Swarovski on the safe side.

Andreas

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back