• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questionnaire: What Do You Think About Birds Of Prey? (1 Viewer)

amym389

My name is Amy and I am a third-year student at Nottingham Trent University. I am studying for my BSc Wildlife Conservation degree, and I have created this questionnaire to determine public perceptions of birds of prey in Northern Ireland compared to England. The data received will be analysed and interpreted for my dissertation. All returned questionnaires will be completely anonymous, so please answer all questions honestly.

‘Birds of prey’ and ‘raptors’ may be used interchangeably throughout.

In total, there are 15 mandatory questions and 6 optional questions. However, if you do not want to answer a question, you do not need to.

It would be massively appreciated if you could fill this in. Here is the link:
https://ntusurvey.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/5k2thygx9m-11

Am I correct in thinking that public acknowledgement of completing this survey means to do so is no longer anonymous?

Probably only if results are time-stamped, no-one has else has done it at exactly the same time, and the OP comes on here and works out who people actually are (from avatar/details given/illegal GDPR dissemination of data by BirdForum), and cares enough to do so.

So probably not? ;)

Hi Dan,

Probably only if results are time-stamped, no-one has else has done it at exactly the same time, and the OP comes on here and works out who people actually are (from avatar/details given/illegal GDPR dissemination of data by BirdForum), and cares enough to do so.

If you can do that, it legally means the information is not anonymous by the definition of the GDPR, as implied by https://gdpr-info.eu/recitals/no-26/

Is birdforum subject to the GDPR anyway? I didn't find any imprint with company data, other than the name Birdforum Ltd.

Regards,

Henning

If you can do that, it legally means the information is not anonymous by the definition of the GDPR, as implied by https://gdpr-info.eu/recitals/no-26/

Is birdforum subject to the GDPR anyway? I didn't find any imprint with company data, other than the name Birdforum Ltd.

My understanding (which may be flawed ;) ) is that a business or organization can't give out personal details to a third party without that person's permission?

I don't see a privacy policy as such on this website, the closest would seem to be this -
https://www.birdforum.net/help/How_do_I_cancel_my_account?

Emails used to be given out for occasional marketing, such as binocular competitions, no idea if that is still legal in the uk.

EDIT: this may be off-topic, but at least it will still be promoting the OPs survey above as gets more views ;)

Hi Dan,

My understanding (which may be flawed ;) ) is that a business or organization can't give out personal details to a third party without that person's permission?

It's correct, and even applies to private persons if they exceed normal private use.

Emails used to be given out for occasional marketing, such as binocular competitions, no idea if that is still legal in the uk.

There are quite a number of small things you have to observe when you do this if you want to be GDPR compliant, but it's not automatically illegal.

EDIT: this may be off-topic, but at least it will still be promoting the OPs survey above as gets more views ;)

I'd certainly love to fill in the survey, but German postal codes have 5 digits, and I couldn't find out how to provide only the first half of these as required by the questionnaire ;-)

Regards,

Henning

Hi Dan,
It's correct, and even applies to private persons if they exceed normal private use.
There are quite a number of small things you have to observe when you do this if you want to be GDPR compliant, but it's not automatically illegal.
I'd certainly love to fill in the survey, but German postal codes have 5 digits, and I couldn't find out how to provide only the first half of these as required by the questionnaire ;-)

Regards,

Henning

Thanks Henning,

Yes, I was looking for a privacy policy to include a statement or something to the effect that emails could/would be sent. tbh I can't remember when the last was sent out but probably ages ago and before the UK became GDPR compliant ...

I'm guessing what kind of stand you'd be taking? ;) I presume the views of bop lovers/bop haters will be pretty obvious, and link to the question on whether you belong to a relevant organization. What would be most interesting is if this survey was filled in by the max number of 'ordinary people' with no vested interest in England and NI (eg people on knitting, motorbike or classic car forums), but I'm sure that will come out in the analysis ...

Am I correct in thinking that public acknowledgement of completing this survey means to do so is no longer anonymous?

I don't see how anyone would know your ID from filling in the survey? Nowhere are you asked any personal data.

The only people who know I've filled this in, are readers of this forum who, may or may not know who I am and I don't care one way or the other tbh.

Hi Andy,

I don't see how anyone would know your ID from filling in the survey?

If you fill in the survey, and immediately afterwards post here that you have done this, it would theoretically be possible to combine the knowledge about the time at which a survey was finished with the knowledge of when you posted about it to make the informed guess that the "anonymous" answers belong to you. Accordingly, they would not be anonymous any more.

However, that's the kind of thought experiment computer scientists engage in, and I don't think it's something to be concerned of in this particular example.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Andy,

If you fill in the survey, and immediately afterwards post here that you have done this, it would theoretically be possible to combine the knowledge about the time at which a survey was finished with the knowledge of when you posted about it to make the informed guess that the "anonymous" answers belong to you. Accordingly, they would not be anonymous any more.

However, that's the kind of thought experiment computer scientists engage in, and I don't think it's something to be concerned of in this particular example.

Regards,

Henning

This would only work if, I posted that I had done so, at or around the time I did, what if I didn't?

What do people think of the 1st raptor pic? Buzzard, or Red-tailed Hawk juv.?

Why would you even think it was not a British species?

The survey is being done by a Brit (presumably) at a an Engish Uni and the two other species are found in the UK, why would they throw ina bird that many in the UK wouldn't recognise?

I think the intention, is to establish what kind of people are filling in the survey?

Last edited:
There are serious implications around losing anonymity, e.g. if someone was whistleblowing or complaining about a manager, then could subsequently be identified as she was the only female in the office, and the whistleblower was referred to as "she".
I can't think of any similar consequences in this case though.

Hi Andy,

To me, the bird doesn't look entirely like a typical Common Buzzard either. Might be me, or might be the bird ... I would love to hear what the community here thinks about that raptor.

Regards,

Henning

What do people think of the 1st raptor pic? Buzzard, or Red-tailed Hawk juv.?

I really struggled with the first pic, then told myself to stop being silly ...

The survey is being done by a Brit (presumably) at a an Engish Uni and the two other species are found in the UK, why would they throw ina bird that many in the UK wouldn't recognise?

I think the intention, is to establish what kind of people are filling in the survey?

Assumption is that the pic was taken off the internet as a 'buzzard'. Could be a real problem for the dissertation if so ...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back