• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why are some area in the UK & Ireland County Patches have so few posts and threads? (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Why are some area in the UK & Ireland County Patches have so few posts and threads?

I'm just wondering why some county's in the UK & Ireland by County Patches have very few posts and threads in some of the different county's, while others have lots of posts and threads.
One example is I've asked a question about the Isle of Wight where I'm hoping to be going on a bird watching annual holiday with my Newcastle Upon Tyne RSPB Group in June 2016 and as of yet I haven't had one reply. There are very few threads and posts in that section. I can just live in hope that I receive a reply from someone and I'll be most grateful if that happens.
Ian.

In Dorset and Hampshire, for instance, there are lively Yahoo email groups for each, so news tends to be circulated that way; Birdforum is not necessarily all that popular with everyone in those groups, so whilst some info gets reposted here, much does not. IOW may be similar?

I think there may be a number of reasons why some areas have little activity on BF, of which MSA has already touched on a few:

(1) Few active birders in the locality
(2) A well organised ornithological group with its own forum (Suffolk is an example of a bird rich county with very few posts on BF but an active SOG site)
(3) Well maintained bird information websites eg CBWPS and Cornwall Birding in Cornwall
(4) Other information / discussion groups via Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook etc

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back