• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie - Manfrotto question (1 Viewer)

CraigInWI

New to this. Just bought my first spotting scope, a 27-60x85 angled that weighs 65 oz. I'll do a lot of viewing, and some digiscoping, from my vehicle and will probably purchase the Manfrotto Car Window Pod 243 w/ Tilt Top Rc 234Rc.

I also need a tripod, but the number of choices is dizzying. Not sure if carbon fiber is worth the extra money? I'm an amateur, not looking to take magazine quality photos. I need my tripod/window mount to be quick release compatible.

Looking to get a quality tripod that is compatable with the window mount above but want to be careful about not overspending on more tripod quality than I need. Any recomendations? Thanks in advance, I appreciate it greatly!

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

Regarding your question, I'm not sure if the combination you mentioned is suitable for a 65oz scope - it's listed on the manfrotto page as suitable for a lightweight scope and shown with a Swaro STS 65 which weights 47oz...

https://www.manfrotto.us/car-window-pod-243-w-tilt-top-rc-234rc

Plus the tilt top seems to be only able to tilt vertically which means you can't pan horizontally with the scope... not sure if they want you to move the car instead... but it certainly won't work well on a tripod...

You could try to use the window clamp together with a video head like the 128RC or 500AH or so (it's also sold solo and the head can be used on any tripod legs), but keep in mind that this will not work too well with angled scopes, especially not if they don't have a rotating tripod collar (although I think your Vortex has one).

Joachim

With an angled spotting scope, you may want to first consider a lightweight tripod.

Looks like you identified your location as Wisconsin, U.S. You may want to contact Vortex Optics customer service, Barneveld, Wisconsin; or B&H Photo, New York.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back