• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not sure what this gray bird is. (1 Viewer)

Phil Juvet

My bird guide is of no help here. I am leaning towards Swallow or Cowbird.
He showed up this week alone. He is smaller than the Red Breasted Robins,
Northern Flickers, Steller's Jays Mourning Doves, and Acorn Woodpeckers that hang out in my yard. He eats the seeds that have fallen on the porch. Take a look and see what you think.

Attachments

• Gray Bird 042104-12.jpg
    Gray Bird 042104-12.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Gray Bird 042104-06.jpg
    Gray Bird 042104-06.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 124
Hi Phil,

May I wish you a warm welcome from all the Staff and Moderators here at Birdforum. I hope you stay and take a look round.

I am afraid I can't help with the id (not a swallow I think) but I am sure someone will be along soon who can.

Hi Phil,
Where in California? If you give me a location I can probably work out the subspecies. In any case, Pipilo crissalis (California Towhee).

cuckooroller said:
Hi Phil,
Where in California? If you give me a location I can probably work out the subspecies. In any case, Pipilo crissalis (California Towhee).

I am in Grass Valley, California which is in Northern California on the western
slope of the Sierras at 2500' asl. About an hour from Sacramento. Pines and Oaks in my yard. I have a couple of more photos if needed. Thanks.

Phil Juvet said:
I am in Grass Valley, California which is in Northern California on the western
slope of the Sierras at 2500' asl. About an hour from Sacramento. Pines and Oaks in my yard. I have a couple of more photos if needed. Thanks.

Phil,
I know where you are now. I went to school in Davis. You're on the I-80 going towards Reno. OK. The subspecies should be that one listed as ranging in Interior California, i.e., Pipilo crissalis carolae. I figured you were up north somewhere when you talked about Steller Jays. Nice zone.

:bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back