• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starting out (1 Viewer)

parttimer

Hi All

I suspect this will have been asked before and it may not be the correct place to ask it but here goes anyway.
I am thinking about buying a DSLR I am completely new to this side of photography, I am able to pull together around £300 and I'm not affraid to go second hand what would be a good starter outfit.
I do hope this wont start a fight.:-O

Hmmm, £300 for a dSLR setup suitable for birding is not going to be easy. You may be able to pick up a second-hand Canon 400D for around £200 and a second-hand Sigma 70-300 for around £100. That would give you a usable system upon which to build.

Hmmm, £300 for a dSLR setup suitable for birding is not going to be easy. You may be able to pick up a second-hand Canon 400D for around £200 and a second-hand Sigma 70-300 for around £100. That would give you a usable system upon which to build.

Thanks Frank I knew it was going to be a tall order but at least it's a start and as you say I can build on this.

Hi Stu, taking the plunge then :t: You can get some good used Cameras for around £200-£300 but the lens will be the problem - best of luck.

P.S. the only thing I would advise is to start with one of the big two systems (Canon or Nikon) that way you will have a better choice of lenses when you want to upgrade.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back