• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to clean spotting scope glass? (1 Viewer)

BirdWatcher

I would like to know how all you spotting scope users clean the objective and eyepiece exterior glass on your spotting scopes?

Is their a specific product & method you use that will remove skin oils & fingerprints, air pollution film, smears & grime, etc from the glass .. without harming the delicate coatings on the glass .. or scratching the glass?

BirdWatcher

Hi Birdwatcher

From personal experience the best way I find is to use a blower brush first to remove dust particles etc,then I blow on the glass & use a lens cleaning cloth.The reason I use the blower brush first is otherwise you run the risk of scratching the glass by rubbing dirt particles into it.Their is a treatment also that I`ve seen advertised where you paint on a gel like substance then peel it off I can`t remember what it`s called though.

Regards Steve.

Dear BirdWatcher,

I use a lens pen purchased from Ace Optics Bath U.K.

http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/default.asp

1.Brush the lens blowing on it at the same time.
2.Spray a liberal amount of Optical cleaning fluid on to the lens.
3.Lay a lens cloth over the lens and using the soft pad on the other end of the pen gently polish with a circular action.

Regards.
Gordon Boreham-Styffe.

If you've been seawatching and got salt spray on the lens - remember that salt crystals are hard enough to scratch the coatings badly if wiped off. Rinse the salt off with water first.

Michael

I'd use a blower to remove dust. Then a soft lens brush, apply an optical lens cleaner and use a lens cloth. You should not use tap water to remove dirt or sand crystals, as over a period of time the chemicals in the tap water could damage the coatings. If you have to use water it should be distilled water. The problem with the pens/brush applicator is that the cloth piece can collect dirt and this should be replaced on a regular basis (as should a lens cloth). One important point made by Stevo which is often missed, is that you should not clean the lens dry, breath on the lens before applying the cloth. Some manufacturers do sell an optical lens cleaning kit, which contains a blower, brush, lens cleaning fluid and a cloth.

I bought my scope second hand so don't know whether the maufacturers provide any advice. Anything in the documents that they send out with new scopes?

I wipe(sometimes more like wash!) the lenses with clean washing up water and dry them with kitchen roll. It removes dirt & grease a treat and seems to do a far better job than 'proper' lens wipes.
I also wash my specs in warm washing up water. Neither scope or specs seem to suffer.
If someone thinks this is unwise please advise before I replace my knackered old scope with something good!!!

I use a blower or compressed canned gas sold in camera stores (also in other stores) to first remove dust. If using compressed
gas keep can level and not too close to optics. I give a test spray first to be sure no liquid comes out. (Perhaps I'm being too concerned.)

I use isopropyl alcohol available from pharmacies. Its oil dissoving qualities are not the best but usually good enough. Also removes water soluable grim reasonably.

Place the alcohol on a Q-tip and wipe from the center out as some grit occassionaly remains on the optics edge. I then use either lens cleaning paper to remove the alcohol or more often high quality cotton pledgets. Only one per optical surface. If a little bit of haze is present gently blow on the lens and remove the fog as per above.

I tend to not clean optics until they really need it. As others have mentioned it is really important to remove dust (it is often grit) with a blower or compressed gas. Using ones breath initally can help "cement" grit to the optics and make them more difficult to remove--hence scratch the coatings.

I much prefer to clean optics under good light where I can see what I'm doing. I do not trust lens pens, although others I bird with swear by them, as I'm concerend that a piece of grit will lodge in the pen. I do us the brush in the lens pen to clean excessive dust from the eyepiece optics in the field if it must be done.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Isopropyl alcohol won't dissolve salt, so that'll stay as hard crystals stuck to the Q-tip, scratching the lens . . . best to get any salt off with clean water first

Michael

YesI also use the pen with the flat tip,but must confess I am a bit of a bottom of the jumper or sleeve cleaner.
Christine.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back