• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carl Zeiss Jena 15x50 ausJENA (1 Viewer)

trancework

I just landed a pair of these in very good condition. Does anyone know anything about them? They have Flektogon and a 1Q printed on them too.

15x50.JPG

Thanks for any help.

They're normally called "Pentekarem", if you google that name, you'll find quite a lot of information about them. Nice high-power bins and not too heavy, unfortunately still with single-layer coatings. They're quite a few years old, if your pair is hazy, you might want to have it cleaned. I had a chance to buy one some 15 years ago, in good conditions, and didn't. That was a mistake.

Hermann

Thx Hermann,

You are right they are very light and I checked against the serial numbers for the date of manufacture and it says 1968 so as you said, quite old too.
The optics are very clear and there is not a mark on them, I paid 100GBP for them so I feel quite lucky to own something so elegant.
I will do a search for "Pentekarem" on the web and I value your help with that information. I'm hoping that they are rare.

No idea, and I find the name pretty strange. "Flektogon" was the name of a series of wide-angle camera lenses. They were first made by Zeiss / Jena in 1950 (a 2.8/35mm). The last ones were made in 1991. The Flektogon was actually quite a well-known lens with very good optical properties. It was also the first wide-angle ever that worked with SLRs.

The 15x50, developed bei Zeiss Jena, was introduced in 1950 under the name "Pentekar" which was later changed to "Pentekarem". It was the first "new" binocular developed by Carl Zeiss Jena after the war.

Hermann

The "Flektogon" designation might make sense if the Flektogon camera lens formula had been modified for use in this binocular as a wide angle eyepiece, perhaps in order to achieve longer eye relief than would have been possible with a 12-13mm Erfle.

It's certainly odd to see both "Carl Zeiss Jena" and "ausJena" on the same binocular. My understanding has been that "ausJena" was substituted for "Carl Zeiss" only for export to countries were the trademark "Carl Zeiss" was owned by Carl Zeiss/Oberkochen. Obviously, a binocular with both names couldn't be sold in those places.

Henry

The 15x50 said:
If I remember Zeiss Jena naming conventions, binocular models ending in "ar: (Silvamar, etc) or "is' (Deltrintris) denoted individual focus while binoculars ending in "em" (Deltrintem etc) denoted center focus. As Henry correctly points out, the identifier "aus Jena" is odd as it was generally used where trademark issues prevented the use of the name Zeiss Jena but here both aus Jena and Zeiss Jena are used. Interesting, and a very nice binocular.

The eyepiece looks like a standard Erfle to me, and it looks as far as I can see just like the eyepieces of the Pentekarems I've handled. Might be worth checking though: Field of view should be 81m/1000m.

The mixture of the two identifiers "aus Jena" and "Carl Zeiss Jena" is something I've never seen or heard about before. And there's something else that's strange: It says "Made in Germany". All the bins I've seen were marked "Made in GDR".

Makes me a bit suspicious about the origin of this pair, actually. Or it must have a really strange history (like being produced from remaining parts after the end of the GDR / DDR).

Hermann

Last edited:
The eyepieces don't look like wide angle specials. Maybe short focus Erfles.
I have the 50mm f/4 Flektogon, which is quite different.

Could somebody be having a bit of fun with the additional markings?

Does M indicate multicoating?
Is it multicoated?

Does M indicate multicoating?
Is it multicoated?

Can't remember what "M" stands for. Certainly doesn't mean "multi-coated" because I've seen this marking on several Zeiss Jena bins that weren't multicoated. Also the eyepieces don't look like they're multicoated; they've got the typical tone of the old single-layer coating.

BTW, I'm not even sure there are multicoated Pentekarems. At least I've never seen any.

Hermann

I have an old Swarovski catalogue in which "M" was used to designate "center focus".

Yes, a 50mm Flektogon camera lens would look very different from a hypothetical 13mm eyepiece variant of the same basic optical formula. The problem with Erfles at such short focal lengths is that the eye relief falls to 8mm or less. I read that the Flektogon was known for having a long back focus (for use in SLRs). In an eyepiece variant long back focus would translate to long eye relief.

Last edited:
I'm afraid this one is a fake or a botched repaint job - reasons as follows:

- it's either "aus Jena" or the Carl Zeiss Jena logo - never both. These were used at different times.
- Flektogon was the name of a series of wide angle photo lenses by CZJ, not binoculars.
- Made in Germany was never used by CZJ. It always said DDR or made in DDR.

PS: The M for Mitteltrieb doesn't make sense with CZJ as they had different names for CF and IF models. The IF Model in 15x50 was called Penterakis and is quite rare.

Joachim

I'm afraid this one is a fake or a botched repaint job - reasons as follows:

- it's either "aus Jena" or the Carl Zeiss Jena logo - never both. These were used at different times.
- Flektogon was the name of a series of wide angle photo lenses by CZJ, not binoculars.
- Made in Germany was never used by CZJ. It always said DDR or made in DDR.

PS: The M for Mitteltrieb doesn't make sense with CZJ as they had different names for CF and IF models. The IF Model in 15x50 was called Penterakis and is quite rare.

Joachim

Sadly, I think you may be right for all of the reasons given. I also recall that the CZJ first quality symbol (1Q) should appear on the right prism cover.

I'm crying.

Sorry that we couldn't catch this one before you bought - any chance of returning this?

Anyways, please post a closeup straight from the front for reference - the screw positions would be interesting there and possible japanese makers marks...

Funny enough the bin itself looks pretty close to the real thing from what I've seen - it's just this impossible printing. Or it's real and was made on april fools day or as a joke...

PS: yes, the 1Q logo (for Erste Qualitaet - first rate quality) does belong to the right below the model.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back