• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (7 Viewers)

23. Whimbrels
24. Mallards

Have seen a few other birds in the Leisure World complex, but unfortunately not from my building. If it weren't for the flyovers from the fields of the Weapons station across the street, I would not have anything but House finches and Yellow-rumped warblers! My neighbor asked if I saw the big white 'heron' in the building's breezeway the other day. Guess I need to spend a little more time looking.

Wari that means that on BF Yard/Garden year listing with current members, you can't lose!.....as you will be the ''Top Lister'' (most Northerly). ;)

Thanks. After all, it's something...3:)

Now we have to solve who is the Southernmost Garden Lister (and Easternmost and Westernmost)? GuyinUganda must be the most Equatorian Lister.

I well might be... Even the yearly temperatures are quite similar with Jasperpatch, his garden is same level as southern France!

I'm that blue dot on map.

Yep, we are remarkably southern, so I concede the 'top-birder' spot with grace. Although with yet more snow forecast for this afternoon, it does feel a little unfair! ;)

Just to clarify.... I am Amy, a she not a he. That darn user name causes much confusion, my apologies (Jasper was our dog!).....not that it makes any difference to my garden birding one way or another! 3:)

Just to clarify.... I am Amy, a she not a he. That darn user name causes much confusion, my apologies (Jasper was our dog!).....not that it makes any difference to my garden birding one way or another! 3:)

You can always get a mod to change your name to eg Amyjasperpatch or similar. Unless you just enjoy the (non) controversy ;)

Weapons station?!!

Not many can 'boast' about one of those!
If it wasn't there, there would be a million condos instead! I'm not giving away government secrets;) The station has been there since the 1940s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Weapons_Station_Seal_Beach

Inside the military complex is a Wildlife Refuge. They have a guided tour once a month (I think). I went once--a natural 'Bolsa Chica Wetlands' habitat. When I was a kid, one of my little sisters came home from school terrified by rumours that nukes were underground there and we could destruct at any time. My Dad (geophysicist) told her we would be the lucky batch who went quickly! I'll take any open space left in OC, even if it is a weapons station! Don't even know if it is still used, honestly. I'm sure the birds are happy to have it. I always seem to walk out to see something flying away in the darkening sky at the edge of view. If only I had been out one minute earlier..... Or I don't have my glasses on or my binoculars with me! A few days ago I drove in the entrance and saw a Hooded Oriole and Barn Swallows on the electric wires. Not visible from my place. I think I'm going to get the Booby prize my first Garden List year.

Given you're in Orange County, I sincerely hope so. Just like this.
Thanks for hoping for me--a few blocks too far inland to get that lucky though! I have heard of that one and various boobies in San Diego County. Well, maybe one of these years we'll have Peregrine up here and I can birdwatch while we sail to Catalina. Won't help this skimpy garden list, but there are some pelagics I wouldn't mind having on my life list.

A few days later than the past couple of years....but better late than never...Red Kite on high with 3 Buzzard, no.58.

BIG migration day - continued north-easterly movement of thrushes and finches throughout the day, many hundreds in the sky at any one time. Numbering tens of thousands, Fieldfares and Chaffinches led the pack, other thrushes and finches in much smaller numbers.

73. Common Gull (also mass arrival of Black-headed Gulls)
74. Stock Dove
75. Dunnock
76. Hawfinch
77. Reed Bunting

Downgrade your booby dreams by a mere one step and you could have your few block inland luck :)

Until I tried replying that the above post made no sense whatsoever and borderline into the realms of bizarenesse (and maybe something else!) didn't realise the 'inland luck' was actually a link ;)

No new birds, but third butterfly of the year; following on from Red Admiral and Peacock, a Speckled Wood. Spring migrant birds probably just around the corner ...

Until I tried replying that the above post made no sense whatsoever and borderline into the realms of bizarenesse (and maybe something else!) didn't realise the 'inland luck' was actually a link ;)

No new birds, but third butterfly of the year; following on from Red Admiral and Peacock, a Speckled Wood. Spring migrant birds probably just around the corner ...

Did the same thing with his original Booby comment with 'Just like this." Didn't notice thiswas a different color at first. Inland boobies wasn't an April Fool's Day joke, and hope springs eternal!

Last edited:
Spring has sprung!
19. American Robin
20. Turkey Vulture
21. Wild Turkey (heard at dusk).
22. Mallard

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back