• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cooper's Hawk? (1 Viewer)

sadrake

Hi
Found this on my porch June 26th, 2020. I'm new to birding and have turned our third floor apartment porch into what I hope is helpful for birds. Apologies for the photo quality. Sighting in Houston, Texas. Is this bird a Cooper's Hawk?
https://imgur.com/Z3B0xJi

Last edited:
To my eye this is not an Accipiter species, accepting that the image is less than perfect (somewhat), I’m wondering if Red-shouldered Hawk might fit the bill....or indeed any other part of the anatomy?

Cheers

I don't see any markings on it that Red-shouldered Hawks would have. Its scapular pattern looks more like that of a Red-tailed Hawk.

Bob

I compared the above photo to photo's of perched Red-tailed Hawks and Red-shouldered Hawks in my copy of Wheeler's Raptors of Western North America.

I still think it is a RTH.

Its tail is Dark and solidly marked like one would see on Western Calurus Red-tailed Hawks which are common throughout Texas. It's scapulars are blotched like a RTH and do not show any partial barring that would be seen on a RSH.

Bob

The original pic does scream Red-shouldered to me either. I'd like to see any other pics there may be... but I would say Red-tailed Hawk as well or even possibly an immature Swainson's(as they have shorter wings than adults...although would be a very strange spot for one)

Last edited:
... looking in guide books as per this other thread doesn’t always provide the answer - is this a RT too? ;)
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=219622

To me, looking at the OP initially, it didn’t strike me as having broad back and shoulders of an RT but the narrower body of a RS and I am not sure how much can be determined on plumage with a dark image through glass and according to Huston Audubon is only an occasional breeder. Also not as common as RS this time of year https://houstonaudubon.org/birding/gallery/red-tailed-hawk.html but I’m open to persuasion (or not inclined to argue ;))

Last edited:
Between the tips of the wing I can see what looks like a large white tail stripe, which is above an even wider black tail-tip. So, Red-shoulder.

I agree it's tough to pick out slam-dunk ID points for either species, but I'd guess Red-shouldered based on habitat. Red-shouldered is more likely to perch on a deck railing than Red-tailed, in my experience. Too bad they don't always follow the rules.

Between the tips of the wing I can see what looks like a large white tail stripe, which is above an even wider black tail-tip. So, Red-shoulder.

Can you(or someone else) lighten the photo... I can’t really make out too much on the tail. But the more I am looking at this pic... I am seeing it most likely being a Red-shouldered.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back