• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-Headed Warbler (ID?) (1 Viewer)

JohnKoerner007

Wildlife Photographer
Hi.

Would someone please help me with the ID (and sex) of this warbler?

Southern Arizona (Madera Canyon), today.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• _DSC1773a.jpg
    _DSC1773a.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 106
I really don't know what this is, but Townsend's Warbler should always have some black streaks on the flanks and some yellow below. The nearest I can come is an immature Cerulean Warbler, though that seems unlikely on range.

Isn’t this a hybrid of Townsend’s x Hermit, I’ve encountered this type several times on the Oregon West coast?

Cheers

No personal experience of these, but looks a much better fit for Hermit; can't see any firm reasons myself to call it a hybrid :t:

No personal experience of these, but looks a much better fit for Hermit; can't see any firm reasons myself to call it a hybrid :t:

If you read Sibley, it states that hybridisation can occur where they overlap, having seen both species prior to the “hybrid” types that I encountered for the first time several years ago, I can attest to that statement. :t:

A sincere thanks to all of you who have taken the time to comment.

I will amend my description to "Hermit Warbler," as I have no additional evidence of hybridization.

"Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability."
~ Edsger Dijkstra

Here are some more photos ...

Here are some more photos ... they may help w/ the ID. (Same individual.)

Attachments

• _DSC1855-1.jpg
    _DSC1855-1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 24
  • _DSC1858a.jpg
    _DSC1858a.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 28
  • _DSC1916-1.jpg
    _DSC1916-1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 26
A sincere thanks to all of you who have taken the time to comment.

I will amend my description to "Hermit Warbler," as I have no additional evidence of hybridization.

"Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability."
~ Edsger Dijkstra
Yep, though the proofreading pedant in me points out, just "Hermit Warbler", not "Hermit Warbler," - the species doesn't have a comma in its name :t:

Nice extra photos!

Yep, though the proofreading pedant in me points out, just "Hermit Warbler", not "Hermit Warbler," - the species doesn't have a comma in its name :t:

Commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks in American English (check where I'm from, genius).

Dashes, colons, and semicolons almost always go outside the quotation marks; question marks and exclamation marks sometimes go inside, sometimes stay outside.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/quotation-marks

Nice extra photos!

I know; the images were taken with $16,000 worth of gear (D5 + 400 FL ED).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back