• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler, Portugal (Iduna/Acrocephalus) (1 Viewer)

PedroNicolau

Hi all,

I watched this warbler on Sep 8th at Doca de Faro, in the Algarve (Portugal).

In the field, I saw a medium-sized warbler, Melodious-like, which was clearly whitish below with no traces of yellow, and was dull brown above with no visible contrast in the plumage. The bird kept feeding actively always at the top of the trees, making it a bit hard to follow, but still provided good views, although mostly of the underparts.

The are a few weird aspects about this bird for me, and so I have decided to put it up here for judgement, hoping someone might help shed a light on its ID.

Other photos here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73354988

Many thanks for your help

Pedro

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 00.23.13.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 00.23.13.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5994.jpg
    IMG_5994.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 00.25.43.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 00.25.43.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 00.25.38.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 00.25.38.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 00.25.34.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 00.25.34.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 54
It's not an Acrocephalus - tail cut straight, undertail coverts too short. I see nothing why it shouldn't be Iduna opaca. Van't be too unusual in Portugal I imagine?

I could do no better than Western Olivaceous too when I looked at this late last night - I was just a bit worried that the bill wasn’t heavy enough.

It's not an Acrocephalus - tail cut straight, undertail coverts too short. I see nothing why it shouldn't be Iduna opaca. Van't be too unusual in Portugal I imagine?

You would think, yes. It breeds inland, at the border with Spain, but it is essentially a rarity everywhere else, only rarely found in migration, as it doesn't really venture west unless there are some easterlies (which actually was the case).

I agree with your assessment of the undertail coverts, they did look short to me but the tail is worn out and one could wonder if the undertail coverts are worn out too.

In the field, it was an opaca for me. I had seen the species only once before yet it gave me the exact same feel. There was no downward tipping of the tail and that excludes pallida, I believe.

But there has been a recent bird in Lisbon which generated much discussion and was widely twitched, only to have been confirmed as a washed out Reed Warbler later on. So this record is to be treated as of a rare bird, nothing mega, but nothing common either.

You would think, yes. It breeds inland, at the border with Spain, but it is essentially a rarity everywhere else, only rarely found in migration, as it doesn't really venture west unless there are some easterlies (which actually was the case).

I agree with your assessment of the undertail coverts, they did look short to me but the tail is worn out and one could wonder if the undertail coverts are worn out too.

In the field, it was an opaca for me. I had seen the species only once before yet it gave me the exact same feel. There was no downward tipping of the tail and that excludes pallida, I believe.

But there has been a recent bird in Lisbon which generated much discussion and was widely twitched, only to have been confirmed as a washed out Reed Warbler later on. So this record is to be treated as of a rare bird, nothing mega, but nothing common either.

Pedro , still on the other bird seen in Lisbon i,m not convinced that it,s a Reed Warbler , there are some dubious pictures but on this one taken by myself i do not see any clear evidence that is a scirpaceus , so i would like to have more opinions on this bird before i discard it completely.

Attachments

• Felosa-pálida-ocidental. Iduna opaca. 2.jpg
    Felosa-pálida-ocidental. Iduna opaca. 2.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 82
Pedro , still on the other bird seen in Lisbon i,m not convinced that it,s a Reed Warbler , there are some dubious pictures but on this one taken by myself i do not see any clear evidence that is a scirpaceus , so i would like to have more opinions on this bird before i discard it completely.

Your bird indeed is a Reed Warbler, whether ambiguus or scirpaceus who knows. Despite the short undertail coverts (I guess missing - moulting or accidental lost) the pp is too long and the wing shows only one emargination on p3 whereas WOW would have
emarginations on p3-p5, see here:
http://netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=41294

Thanks Roland , meanwhile Pedro have also provide me a detail analyse that i has not aware that have been done to this bird , same conclusion indeed.

Nice informative site you have in Denmark .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back